༒ Twenty-five༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

Today our world would change. Not only ours, but also the lives of our citizens and the lives of the candidates. The young man Valentina would choose to be her King, would rule over our Kingdom and I could only hope, he would be a good one.

I look around in the Great Hall while our staff is setting up chairs for at least two hundred people, the camera crew doing their usual work. Everyone was busy and here I stand, doing nothing as usual. I feel useless. The dress Jade had made for me last night, fitted perfectly, I couldn't be more grateful to have her in my life.

She and Levi seemed to get along a little better again I realise when I see both of them hanging up decorations, smiling at each other. They deserve each other's love. When I stare out of the big window, a cold hand touches my shoulder, waking me up from my thoughts. I turn around and see our Priest standing behind me, his beady eyes happy as always.

'You don't seem like you want to be here, Princess', he says soft. I shake my head a little, not understanding how he always sees through me. 'There is going to change a lot. I hope my sister finds the right person'.

'I'm sure she will', he assures me. 'Maybe you should wear this today', he takes something out of his pocket and lays his hand in mine. When I open my hand I see a small bracelet with white pearls.

'Mom', I whisper, recognizing the pearls from years ago.

'There are two of them, your sister is wearing the other one. It may be her day but you deserve something too', he glances at me before turning around. I stare at the pearls in my hand, feeling sentimental as usual when things lead me back to mom. I miss her.

'What is that?' Jade and Levi walk towards me, both smiling bright. 'It's from my mom', I say without looking up. 'She used to wear them all the time', Levi says soft, trying to see if I'm feeling good. I look up at him with tears in my eyes.

'She used to', I repeat.

'May I?' Levi takes the bracelet out of my hands and puts it around my wrist, shining bright in the sunlight. I didn't miss the glance in Jade's eyes and I felt guilty immediately.

'We only have ten minutes, maybe you have to find seats so you can sit together', I suggest but Levi nods his head. 'I have to walk in front of the candidates', he says enthusiastic.

'You have seen them?' I ask shocked. He only nods and winks one more time before leaving us behind. I watch him walk away and turn to Jade who also stares at him, looking sad. I take her hands in mine, trying to find support.

'He'll never like me', she says after a second. 'He would be stupid not to like you. I want you to be happy'.

'I know. I'm grateful to have a friend like you', Jade says before hugging me carefully, trying not to ruin my dress. 'I have to find a seat', she whispers and with one last look she leaves me also, panic raising up again. Elliott stands in a corner when I walk over to the tribune, trying to get his attention. As the smart boy he is, he walks over to me immediately, taking his seat next to mine.

'I saw one of them', he whispers.

'What?'

'One of the candidates, he scares me'. I glance at him, raising my eyebrows. 'I tell you. He is blond and looks serious all the time. I got goosebumps when his eyes looked directly at me, so I ran away', he warns me again. I nod my head, not wanting my first impression have anything to do with Elliott's opinion.

I would see for myself what the candidates look like, and I would have my own opinion I promise myself. No judgement.

My father walks on the tribune, followed by Valentina in her long golden dress. She definitely wants to make an impression, but at least she doesn't wear one of mom's dresses. Val ignores me the whole time we sit here, waiting for the camera to start rolling and the doors to open. She didn't even look a bit nervous, only proud.

'You have to know that our family won't change, we are only adding a person', my father whispers to me and Elliott. I nod a little and Elliott looks down at his legs, not knowing what to say. I could tell that his impression of the candidate must have frightened him. I wasn't sure if I should worry about that.

Five minutes later, everyone had taken place and a wave of tension spread around the Great Hall. We all sat down as statues, waiting for the unexpected to happen.

'Ten seconds!' The camera man yells and the Priest climbs the tribune, standing in front of the camera. The Royalty family, only a background.

'Action!'

'Today, we are inviting our three candidates in the castle of Ethura. We can say with security that our lives, and especially the life of our beautiful Crown Princess, will change once this ceremony is over. Let us pray, for our land, for our citizens, for our Kingdom!' The Priest holds up his hand while bowing his head. Everyone takes the hands of his neighbours and bows his head slightly when the Priest says another verse of our believes.

'Make sure, our founder, that not only love will survive, but will heal. We pray for the good of our island. May nothing stand in the way of our faith!' He says loud and clear. We all sit up straight again, releasing hands when the priest takes his papers out of his pocket.

'Let us invite the three young man we are here for tonight. Open the gates!'

The wide doors open and every head turns around to get a glance of the upcoming crowd of guards, soldiers and behind them, three strangers. August in front of them, followed by Levi and five other soldiers and then finally, the faces to which we could associate names.

August and his soldiers bow for the King before standing aside, giving us a fully look of the three young man behind them, who bow a little tense. The cameras had been trying to get every angle of them, every little detail of their entrance, when the priest stands between me and my father to introduce our young men.

'To begin with, we are pleased to receive our first young man. Theodore Winston Sinclair!'

A young man with curly, light brown hair steps to the front, bowing for his King.

'Theodore is an artistic young man who helps his father in their atelier, trying to save enough money for his future', the priest reads out loud. My father bows his head slightly at Theodore who looks too afraid to smile. He walks back to his place, stumbling a little, when the priest takes another of his cards.

'Next, our second candidate is a loved young man from Syrilia who fights for his dreams and the people he loves. Let us welcome Ezra Ryan Carter!' The boy with the blond hair and greyish eyes walks upfront, and I could finally understand why Elliott was afraid of him. His face didn't look serious, he looked manipulative, his ego a little too big for his head. Handsome but terrifying.

He bows for the King easily, making clear that he has grown up in a well-raised family. He turns his head to Valentina, who looks more impressed than before, and bows his head for her also. After that he takes his place back and we all wait for the third boy to get introduced.

'Our last candidate, a young man of Ethura, trustable and a helpless romantic. Welcome Cameron Hunter Roman!' The third boy with his dark hair and bright green eyes walks to the front. He bows politely for my father as the other boys and after that for my sister, who seems to appreciate the attention. His face stands soft, I could indeed believe he was trustable. He seemed honest.

When he turns around our eyes meet for a second and I feel like someone stabs in my stomach. He grins a little when I feel heat raising up my cheeks. Not out of anger this time. I couldn't describe it. I didn't know how I felt. It took me a while before I realised everyone was clapping their hands for the three young man when Elliott pushed his elbow in my side.

I also gave them an applause quickly, but too late. Cameron looked up at me again, his eyes soft when the tension flew out of the air, making space for hope. Apart from Ezra, the two others seemed fine candidates. My father stands up from his thrown, followed by Valentina, when the camera turns to them.

'As far as a first impression goes, I believe we have found three excellent candidates. Now we get the chance over the following months to get to know these young man and figure out who will take my place on the throne', my father's voice is softer than normal, as if he's tired again. 'Thank you!' He ends the ceremony and everyone claps their hands again, me included this time.

Once the cameras stop rolling, my father claims the young man with my sister behind him. She seems more interested than I thought she would be, smiling at every one of them. It almost seems sincerely. Maybe she was convinced one of them could be her soulmate.