༒ Seventy-three ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

That same day the journalists decide to film one of our classes for the first time in months. It didn't make sense to me until the moment my sister walked in with some books. It was clear she would teach today.

Once I decide to sit down my sister calls my name, gesturing I should take place next to her in the front. In the corner of my eye I see Cameron looking at me, luckily Theodore does the same.

Madame Orsini stands between us and before we start my brother sneaks in quickly, taking a seat behind Cameron. His gaze still concerned. The problem with Elliott was that he only told you as much as he wanted you to know. He would never admit how he honestly felt, but I could see he was scared. So was I.

'Today we will be teaching about the certain kinds of magic a person can be in possession of', Madame Orsini tells more excited than normally. It makes Ezra grimace, and for the first time I have to agree with him. It was silly. Then my sister steps to the front, again more confident than normal when she starts to talk.

'Our family is in possession of different kinds of magic. Our great-grandfather was married to a sorceress which gave our grandfather a lot of power when he got born. He could let the trees grown, help nature when it needed some'. I listen carefully to what she tells them, we all had a kind of magic, some of us found out later than others, but it wasn't a shame.

'Our mother also got the power to care for nature, her father gave it to her. Not only that but she was also a strong woman with a more powerful voice than anyone', Val explains. I look confused at Madame Orsini who doesn't bother to look up. I thought the power of the deathly scream was a secret.

'Val maybe you shouldn't ...' I whisper but she ignores it.

'Our father has no kind of magic in his blood because he is born in the village. But that doesn't mean his children haven't magic'. At that point she gestures I should join her, wanting me to explain the kinds of magic we were in possession of. Ezra sits straight again, truly interested in what I have to say. That is the moment I realise he knows about my scream.

'Well, my brother Elliott has the ability to remember almost everything he reads or hears. It is not the kind of magic were you see something happening but it is very impressive. My kind of magic is different from him, I can connect with dragons and they show me things they have seen in their past', I explain quickly. Valentina waits for me to say more, as if I would honestly tell that secret to our citizens.

'What about your sister?' One of the journalists asks. I stare at him with open mouth, Val's head turning a little red. Everyone knew that Valentina hadn't find her magic yet, and that wasn't a shame. It was only unfortunate. Val walks in front of me trying to save herself.

'I ...'

'She hasn't any kind of magic', my brother notices loud. All our heads turn to him, Valentina completely angry.

'Elliott ...' I mumble unsure. He gets uncomfortable of the attention and stands up, clearly mad when he walks out of the door. Valentina follows him immediately.

'Stop filming', she demands but they don't listen. I run behind them also, taking the cameraman by his collar.

'You better listen to your future Queen', I hiss at him. The camera light turns of in a second and I run in the corridor, only to see my sister yelling at someone who was already gone.

'You are horrible Elliott!' She screams loud. Before I realise Cameron is by my side, but I ignore him and run over to Valentina, not understanding her.

'Honestly you scare our brother always and now you are going after him?' I ask when she stops running. The candidates keep their distance from us, not knowing what to do.

'He had no right!' She yells, tears in her eyes.

'You didn't have the right to make me confess about that scream', I lower my voice. She shakes her head immediately, turning away when she walks up the stairs.

'What have I done to you?' I ask louder. Valentina turns around to get a look of me, not even mad anymore. More desperate.

'You could've died', she cries out before running again. I turn to the young men behind me, not expecting that to happen.

'When you were gone she was afraid you wouldn't survive', Ezra mumbles before walking past me. I stand there completely frozen. Theodore walks past me also, giving me a compassionate look. Cameron follows them, touching my hand for a moment. I hated not being able to fall in his arms.

⇺ ⇻ ♕ ⇺ ⇻

I decided to talk to my sister after what had happened, not quite sure if that was the best option. When I knock on her door it isn't Val who opens it. Olivia stands in front of me, her arms crossed when she looks down on me as usual, not wanting to say a word.

'Is my sister here?' I ask after a while. She nods a little before letting me in, clearly mad at me. Her bedroom was neat as always, the sun shines through the windows when I see my sister standing on a small platform, looking at herself in the mirror. Normally I would've laughed at this image because I got so used to it, but I decided not to. She didn't look like herself at all.

Olivia walks over to her again, taking needle and thread when she works on the beige dress with golden details. My sister looked stunning.

'A dress to meet the families?' I guess, trying to sound more polite than I'm used to. My sister looks at me, pain in her eyes when Olivia turns to her side.

'This is my coronation dress', she mumbles not as sure anymore. I look up at my big sister, realising that this was actually happening. She had chosen someone.

'What did you think? That I would wear our mothers dress?' She adds sarcastic, her voice filled with disgust. I shake my head softly, feeling tears in my eyes and I wasn't even sure why. Probably I was only afraid that she would choose Cameron. I was selfish.

'Why didn't you ask me to help with your dress?' I ask instead.

'Is that even a serious question?' Olivia laughs. I turn to her confused, and evil smile playing over her face.

'Everyone knows I've been more of a sister to Valentina than you have ever been', she adds confident.

'How dare you speak to me like that!' The anger raises up in my body.

'I'm just telling the truth', she lifts her shoulders and goes further with her work. Valentina keeps silent, looking down at her dress, clearly ignoring my gaze.

'Is it?' I ask after a while, interrupting the silence again. I feel tears behind my eyes, not willing to show them.

'We don't talk much', Val whispers after a while.

'Then talk to me!', I say desperate.

'I've tried to hard', her voice goes quiet. She didn't want to cry either. 'You don't listen, you always have to break the rules, Rosa!' I walk over to her, holding her hands in mine when I force my sister to look at me for one time.

'I ran on that field because that war was my fault! You know that', I remind her.

'That doesn't give you the right to take your life in your own hands', she says calm. 'I've almost lost my little sister', she adds releasing her hands again. I had never seen my sister like this before. She had been mad at me for risking my own life.

I walk back slowly and leave the room when tears stream down my face. Maybe I had been too focused on her bad characteristics. There was a side of my sister I would never get to know. Maybe I hadn't tried hard enough.