༒ Five ༒

⇺              ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

'You have to remember you're not on a battle field! Don't hurt your own knights!'

When I walk down the field where the soldiers always practise their fighting skills, I see uncle August talking in a silent voice with Levi. I hold up my dress on the wet grass and walk towards them, not expecting them to notice me for the first couple of minutes. If their head was in the game, you could impossibly get their attention.

It wasn't a good idea to sneak up on knights, especially not August. There was a good reason my parents had made him head of the army, I've never seen someone fight like he does.

'I want to prove myself, I can do this', Levi assures his leader and I wonder what they are talking about. Augustus shakes his head a little, definitely not sure what he has to do. Levi looks over the field, watching the other soldiers while looking dejected.

'I want to be like my father, I want to make him proud. I beg you Sir Magnier', he says softer and I can see the pain in his eyes. Augustus holds a hand before his mouth, still shaking his head a little. 'Excuse me, Sir', I interrupt their conversation. Augustus turns around in a rush, just like Levi.

'Princess', they both bow for me, but don't try to hide their smiles when they see my dress in the mud. We keep quiet for a second, Augustus clearly still struggling with a decision to make. Someone on the field calls Levi's name to practise their fighting against each other. With one last look at Augustus, he runs on the field and puts on his helmet.

'What was that about if I may ask?' Uncle August and I stand alone at the side of the field, looking at the others. He runs his dirty hands through his black hair before sighing deep. I knew the answer, when Levi had started talking about his father, I should have known better.

'He wants to be the first soldier, just like Sir Woods', I guess and August nods. 'Is that a bad thing? He has always worked hard'.

'I'm afraid he'll have the same destiny as Sir Woods', Augustus says a little hoarse. I look from him to Levi who has started fighting, one hand on his sword and the other in defend.

'What happened to his father was an accident', I remind him but I can see the pain in his tired, brown eyes. 'It was an accident under my watch'.

'That could have happened to anyone'. He sighs and looks at me, knowing that I wouldn't let go of this discussion.

'The man is in a wheel chair for the rest of his life, Rosalia'.

'He is lucky to be alive, that war was horrible', I say softer and look around if anyone could see us here. When he doesn't respond anymore I take a few steps on the field and turn to glance over at him.

'He's an adviser of my father now, that isn't a bad position if you ask me', I raise my eyebrows and see some relieve on his face. Uncle August had been my parents' best friend for as long as I can remember, the only reason I called him my uncle was simply because he felt like family, not because he was. There was no royalty blood running through his veins, but still he was more family than any other person around the castle.

'You are not fighting', he remarks when I take a few more steps to the front. I look at him sheepishly before taking a helmet of the ground.

'I have some anger to ease, Uncle August', I say before putting the helmet on and walk towards Levi who now sits in the wet grass. 'Do me the honour to fight against the most brave soldier I know', I say pointing my hand towards him. He laughs a little unsure and takes my hand before standing up.

'I wouldn't want to hurt my princess', he laughs, annoying me and hands me a sword.

'You know better than that, Levi'. We stand in position, before starting our sword fight. It was funny how these boys always used to ease up on me, as if a girl couldn't fight.

'You can fight better', I encourage him and hear his soft laugh behind his helmet. Levi jumps towards me while I easily stop his sword from hitting me and I walk back slowly, trying to find a strategy.

'That's more of a first knight', I remark and he lowers his sword. 'You heard that?'

'I'll make sure Uncle August changes his opinion, you deserve to be first knight, Levi'. He takes of his helmet, throwing it on the ground, gratefulness in his green eyes. 'Thank you', he breaths while I take of my helmet to.

I had known Levi since we were little kids, and his only dream was becoming head of the army. First knight was a step in the right direction. We stare at each other for a moment, both of us not knowing what else to say when a voice awakens me from our moment.

'Rosalia Indira Martinez!' I turn around in shock when I realise what is going on. Uncle Augusts face turns pale immediately, the pride disappearing.

Behind him my father walks towards us with big steps, his head red of anger. I look at Levi desperately before giving him my helmet and sword and walk towards my father. Augustus gets the first rage attack from him and I run faster towards them.

'I have told you not to let my daughter fight!' My father yells at him. 'I take all the blame, your highness', Augustus lowers his head. 'Father', I say out of breath when I'm near them. He shakes his head in disbelief before turning around again.

'It wasn't Sir Magnier's fault. Father, please', I defend August who tries to shut me down. He turns around, his ocean eyes narrowing mine.

'It was his fault to let you fight against my will. It was your fault not to listen to my commands', he says serious and turns around again, making his way back to the castle. 'How can I ever trust you?', he adds angry.

I look down at my dress that's covered in mud on the bottom. All the soldiers had stopped fighting, everyone went quiet.

I follow my father with my eyes and when I look at the castle in front of me, a girl with long red hair in a beautiful dress stands on her balcony. Grimacing. Valentina had betrayed me. There was no way my father could've seen this from his office on the other side of the castle. I shake my head in disbelief while she walks back in her room and closes the glass doors.

'I'm sorry', I whisper to August.

'It is not your fault. I get it, you want to have freedom. I would be frustrated to'. He says before yelling at the others they can go and rest out for tomorrow's practise. They left one by one, and I was still standing here in the mud. All by myself.