༒ Seventy-one ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

Before opening the double doors I look behind me, making sure no one has followed me to the library. Jade had been right, there wasn't much of a chance Cameron and I would succeed. Even if my sister choose someone else, citizens would think it is insane if we would get together. Maybe that would bring us in even more trouble. We had bigger issues, and that was the war. The question was if I would even survive this one. If I didn't we had one less thing to worry about.

I sigh deep, seeing a soft light behind the blurry windows in the door. He wasn't at all discrete and for some reason that made me like him even more.

Walking through one of the doors, I stare at the few candles that make a path through the corridors of bookshelves. There would be nothing more dangerous than candles in a library but I couldn't care less. I had to stop worrying for one second, and I knew that only Cameron could change that. Carefully I walk through the small hallways, trying to get a look when it leads me to the back of the library.

'Cam?' I ask careful when I turn the corner and see him standing in front of a blanket and some pillows on the ground.

'What ...' I ask but he walks over to me quickly, taking my hands in his.

'Just watch', he whispers softly. The candle lights shining in his bright eyes. I could tell he was delighted, so was I. Together we sit down on the blanket, staring out of the window in front of us.

'What is that?' I ask, looking at the dark sky lit up by a rare formation of stars. He lays down on one of the pillow and I follow his lead, not blinking one second. It was beautiful.

'Cam ...'

'If I had known the founders would show themselves tonight I would've asked you earlier', he whispers.

'The founders?' I ask curious.

'You must have read about this', he insists but I have no idea what he is talking about. 'The founders are a star group in our world, they show themselves on the day the different islands were created by Otilia', he explains.

'That was today?'

'Millions of years ago, yes. It takes a lot of effort to recognize them all, there are five of them', Cameron focuses on the stars while I watch him, seeing the tension in his eyes.

'Can you see them?' I whisper. He turns his head to me, smiling a little vague.

'There is always one founder that hides herself', he stares at me intense as if I have to solve that riddle.

'Ivory?' I gamble and he nods in agreement. 'Who was she?'

'Her name is unknown, even my grandfather didn't know it. But he knew it was a woman. One day he showed me a drawing of a woman with long silver hair, it was her', he tells.

'I have seen her in a vision', I admit careful.

'I believe you have', Cameron assures me. We stare at the star group for a longer moment, I could only recognize one face in the stars and that was Isaiah, Syrilia's founder. It gave me goosebumps.

'Why are we here?' I ask after a while. His face is amused again, glad that I interrupt the silence.

'I'm sure you haven't talked to your father', he turns towards me, his eyes following my every movement.

'I haven't'.

'Well, he is planning on inviting our families. I guess the Selection will find its end'. I turn to him quickly, seeing the same fear in his eyes as I feel.

'You think my sister has made a choice?' I ask worried.

'I haven't seen her in days, she might have chosen someone'. I overthink his words again. If he hadn't seen her in days it would be madness that he would be the chosen one. But this meant his end in the castle, there wouldn't be much time to see him again.

'I will meet your family', is all I can say. He laughs soft, the spark appearing in his eyes when I face him.

'They will love you', he notices. 'Especially my sister. She is your biggest fan'.

'I'm flattered', I laugh at him and when he laughs at me, I realise I can't imagine a life in the castle without Cameron. Everything would feel so wrong.

'Could you tell me something, Rosalia?' He asks more tense when we lay closer, our heads only centimetres from each other.

'Of course'. He sighs a little, getting a short look of me when fear only fills my body.

'Why are you here?' He asks tense. I don't know how to react, unlocking my gaze from him for a moment. The light of the moon shining over us through the window.

'I guess I do love you', I admit soft. Cameron lays his hand on my cheek, forcing me to look at him when I lay down again, staring in his eyes.

'I love you', he assures me and kisses my forehead softly. My heart wants to explode by those words, I hated not having control over my feelings.

All I can do is nod a little when I lay down on his chest. His arms around me when I can hear his heartbeat, his mouth against my hair.

'Ezra is right about one thing', he interrupts the moment. I wait patiently for him to finish that sentence, when his grip tightens around my waist. 'You are insane Rosalia Martinez and I love it', he whispers.