༒ Seventy-six ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

A few days had passed and I figured quick enough that Ezra didn't like his mother as much as you would think. If there was any young man I thought would have everything his heart desired it would've been Ezra. Seemed I was completely wrong about that also.

I spend the most time with Theodore's parents. His mother talked to me about her own jewellery and even gave me one of her necklaces. Theodore had been right, his parents are indeed as artistic as he is. Cameron's parents mostly joined my father and Mrs Carter, although Audrey didn't like that very much. Cameron's sister was pure joy. I can't imagine her being in the village during the war, afraid for her life. It breaks my heart when I look at the young woman she is becoming. She deserves so much more than living in the south.

The journalists wanted some images to show during the next newscast and since the Selection was almost on its end we did it with joy. Levi brought us three horses, his eyes a little glassy after guarding for two days.

'Are you feeling alright?' I ask concerned when he hands me Spirit. It had been a long time since I had done horseback riding, my dear horse must have been bored.

'Guarding', he explains quickly.

'Levi, honestly are you fine?' I ask again and hold him by his arm. His eyes narrow mine, not at all the gaze I was used to see. There was nothing of joy or sarcasm, he had changed completely.

'I am, Rosalia', he says before bowing and leaves me behind. I didn't feel good about this situation but had to let go of it when the photographer yelled my name. The families were walking on the grass field nearby the castle while we were about to ride our horses.

'Princess Valentina and Theodore, please take a horse together', he demands them without looking up from his paper.

'Cameron take your sister out of the crowd otherwise we have a girl too short'. Audrey immediately runs towards us when she hears her name, not being able to believe she gets this opportunity. I smile at her shortly before I realise Ezra stands next to me, laying the saddle on my horse.

'Princess Rosalia and Ezra', the photographer mumbles. I look up at Ezra who doesn't give me any glance. In a normal situation he would mock me right now, but his mother was watching him carefully and he knew that.

'Let me help you', he insists when I try to climb my horse.

'I'm able to do that myself', I notice. He looks down at me, gesturing his hand unsure and I take it.

'Please', he begs. I smile at him, proud that he finally has to beg me and we both climb on Spirit before gathering by the others.

'Great. Now walk slowly around the field. Valentina in the middle please!' The photographer yells. My father was nowhere to be seen and the other families watched us in interest. Ezra's mother keeping a distance from the others.

'I thought you had a good relationship with your mother', I notice once we are out of hearing distance. Ezra sighs, taking the reins harsher when our hands touch for a moment. I couldn't feel more uncomfortable at this point.

'What do you care?' he mumbles.

'I do care. I mean you are being mean to me for months. I thought you were spoiled', I say sarcastically but he doesn't think it is funny.

'If someone here is spoiled it must be you'.

'Excuse me?' I say in disbelief.

'Rosa, Ezra, please!' My sister hisses under her breath while trying to smile.