༒ Thirty ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

That evening, after dinner, the sun broke through the clouds giving us a little bit of warmth. I couldn't care much less, I still hadn't find a way to sneak in the study room. Madame Orsini seemed to be around all the time, never giving me a chance to steal her book.

Actually, I could simply demand her to give it, but that would be too obvious. I didn't want to be like that. She has always been nice to me, there was no reason to lie to her about what was going on. But it was better not to involve to many people. If I went down it didn't mean I would drag them along. This was my problem, I had to take responsibility.

I walk through the empty corridor, gazing around at how charming our decorations are and thinking of the maids who have nothing. I feel bad that I haven't realised this sooner, how less our staff actually has. But still, life in our castle was better than in the village.

Some of our citizens have nothing, I've only never met someone like that, but I had seen it on the news. Old houses, broken windows, they were cold in the winter. The south part of Ethura could be compared to Syrilia. Deep in my thoughts, I almost ran into a maid, Olivia.

'Sorry', I mumble when I look up in a rush, her dark brown eyes staring at me in disbelief. She always acted as if she was better, only because she's the maid of my sister, and her best friend.

'I'm on my way to Valentina, little princess', she says, looking down on me. It wasn't my problem that she was tall. 'How is she?' I ask, realising how less I see her these days. Olivia looks at me in surprise, her glance suspicious.

'Fine', she answers short before walking past me. 'Wait!', I turn around noticing the newspapers in her hands. She sees me looking at them and starts laughing a little.

'Honestly you are proud of yourself aren't you?', she walks closer, her face harsh again.

'Excuse me?'

'You want a newspaper? Why? To tell all your friends how much success you have?' She asks bitter. I'm startled when she pushes a paper in my arms before turning around and leaves with angry footsteps. I could see the resemblance between her and my sister. I take a look at the frontpage, a big picture of our three candidates. Cameron and Theodore modest as usual with in between them Ezra, his perfect smile showing off. He was lucky to be handsome. Otherwise he didn't have much qualities.

Instead of going to my bedroom, I decide to visit Jade again. Secretly, I love her little bedroom. It feels save to me. I knock on the door and walk in when she's busy with painting, a brush behind her ear.

'You look artistic', I say, welcoming myself in when she lays her pallet down on her desk. 'You are incredible!' She walks over to me and almost falls in my arms.

'I thought we had agreed on that?' I answer sarcastically, sitting down on her bed. 'No, I'm being serious. That interview you did? Amazing!'

'What are you talking about?'

'I'm talking about the fact that you are the most honest and real princess an island has ever seen, and that aren't my words', she says, holding up one finger before taking my newspaper and searching through it.

'Here', she points it back to me and on page five I see a picture of me during the announcement of the candidates.

'Princess Rosalia, future leader', I read out loud. I lay it down immediately, panic raising up as usual. Jade's smile fades once she sees the look on my face.

'This isn't good', I remark.

'They see potential in you', she claims trying to make me feel better.

'No, that is not the intention. This is bad', I tell her again. She keeps watching me when I walk up and down her room, trying to figure out what I have to do. 'You can't change the way they think of you, Rosa'.

'Maybe if I do something stupid?' I ask desperate. Jade jumps of her bed, taking my shoulders in her hands.

'That is insane! You should be happy about this, forget about your sister'.

'She is right', I sight deep, feeling tears behind my eyes. 'I can understand that she thinks I want that stupid throne. I don't know why this is happening but I'm not asking for this attention, I never wanted that. I don't need a crown to prove myself', I say loud while panic overtakes my voice.

'I know that, Rosa. But it's not your fault that you are a good leader. Your sister shouldn't be mad at you for that', she whispers. I take a deep breath before walking towards the door, ready to leave this room.

'I don't want this to happen', I say and close the door behind me. Yes, I am afraid to lose my sister. We had our disagreements, we had our fights, but there is one thing our parents had thought us and that was to support each other, no matter what. Not only was Valentina failing in that, I was too.