༒ Eleven ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

That night I snook out of Elliott's bedroom, not able to get any sleep. The sky was already dark and the castle almost abandoned. Into my expectation the guards let me through when I asked them to go outside.

In the stable of Spirit, my bow and arrows where still hid from the last time I tried to hunt. I couldn't but do something to ease my mind. Thoughts where running through my head and I couldn't control them.

I walk over the wet grass in front of the castle, to our gardens, the flowers lighting up when I softly touch them. This kingdom had something beautiful, it was unfortunate only a few people could see it. Little yellow lights fly all the way around the castle. My sister and I used to believe they were fairies that were keeping us safe in the darkest of the night. Sometimes I missed being a child.

Once I was in the Rose garden, my favourite one, I looked up at the waterfall that now was lit up by some blue lights. I asked our sorcerer to take care of that, and he did. The island in front of me was lit up at some places, also the flowers shone in the night and above us the moon was bigger than ever, letting me live in a fairy tale.

I take an arrow out of my bag and point it towards the island, trying to keep my focus on something that might move there. I was naïve, every animal that lived there would be asleep, I was the only prey awake. I sigh deep, lowering my bow when I think about the events of today. Probably every boy in Ethura would be filling in that form right now, trying to get the hand of my sister.

I was more worried about the boys with wrong intentions, the ones that wanted power. Valentina deserved better despite everything. The grass behinds me cracks a little, waking me up from my thoughts. I turn around quickly, only to see a dark shadow in the light of the flowers.

'Don't shoot', a familiar voice says soft. I lower my bow and when the figure walks closer I see the face of Augustus. I sigh again and let my bow fall on the grass, not knowing what to do anymore.

'I hope you didn't believe you could shoot a deer at this time of the day', Augustus jokes, only bringing a soft smile on my face.

'It could be the last time for a while', I say soft while leaning on the stone wall in front of me. Uncle August follows my lead and we both stare at the waterfall. 'I didn't get you in trouble with my father, did I?' He laughs and shakes his head a little. 'Your father loves me too much to fire me'.

'He loves you too', he adds softer this time. 'Sometimes it doesn't seem like that', I admit.

'I think that it scares him how much you look like your mother.'

'Val and Elliott look like her too'.

'I agree, but you also have her character. I think that is one of the reasons he doesn't want you to fight, it frightens him'. Augustus lays his head in his hands, looking tired as usual.

'Why are you awake?' I ask curious.

'I have a night shift today. Usually I don't take them but I had a feeling I would find you outside', he laughs about it and I join him. Maybe I was predictable.

'You knew about the Selection. My father had told you, didn't he?'

'He did, believe me if I say that I was as surprised as you when I first heard about it'.

'I can't understand how my sister wants to find a husband like that. Why not wait until she finds the one?'

'Behind these walls? She has seen every young man that lives here, probably she didn't like anyone of them'.

'But they like her', I notice. We look at each other for a moment and keep silent again. 'You are more mature than you think you are, Rosa. Although, a little bit more listening to your father wouldn't do any harm', he winks at me and I roll my eyes.

'He wants to change me in something I am not'.

'I think you remind him too much of your mother, as I said before. Maybe he's just afraid you'll have the same destiny if he doesn't protect you'. I keep quiet after that, staring in the darkness beneath us. I didn't want to think of that. We had our disagreements sometimes, but I know that if my father would lose another family member, he would be heartbroken.

'You don't have this from me, but Levi thinks you would be a good leader', August tries to cheer me up.

'I hear that a lot lately', I whisper, deep in my own thoughts. It shouldn't be something to be sad about, but in this case it was. My sister thought I wanted to steal her crown when it seemed like everyone, but me, wanted me to actually do that.

'I believe that', August sighs and stands up again.

'I have to go back to Elliott', I say, thinking of what he would do if I wasn't next to him when he wakes up.

'I'll bring this back and hide it carefully', August says, pointing at my bow and arrows.

'Thank you'.

'Goodnight, Rosa'.

'Good night', I whisper before walking out of the cold and back into the warm corridors. From now on our lives would change, we would be tired and I wasn't ready for it. Not even slightly.