༒ Thirty-two ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

'Our founder taught us to live in peace, to help every person we can. That is the way we are raised', Madame Orsini walks past our desks while explaining the greatness of Aurelius and the sorceress Otilia. I sit in the back, observing the three young men while listening to her. They all seem to be interested, or at least try too. Even Ezra pays more attention that I would have thought.

'Aurelius and his brother Isaiah, had a fight over how the land should be ruled. Aurelius wanted a peaceful place, but his brother didn't agree, he wanted war', she explains.

'Excuse me Madame, but I believe Isaiah fought for what he believed in', Ezra interrupts her. We all turn our head to the blond boy in the front, of course he has to defend his founder but he is in Ethura now.

'You mean war?', I ask sarcastically. Ezra turns his head slightly, giving me a challenging look. 'He wanted to create a place where families could join and be protected'.

'By fighting, you mean?'.

'Nothing is wrong with that Princess. Your Kingdom has its own army, why wouldn't he fight?' He asks curious. All of a sudden, the whole class was about Ezra and I debating about our history.

'Isaiah wanted to be the most powerful man in the world, he used his citizens to protect himself', I end the discussion. Ezra turns around while shaking his head in disagreement. In the side of my eye, I see Cameron turning away from me too, his face amused.

'That was interesting', Madame Orsini sighs relieved. I look down at my table, not quite sure how to feel about this.

'Princess Rosalia, why don't you explain the rest of our history?' She suggests after a while. I look up at her in surprise, not thinking she would ask me that during our first class. I stand up, ignoring the mocking face of Ezra who leans back in his chair while staring at me in front of the class. I stand here as an idiot, not sure what to tell them.

'Just begin at the beginning', she encourages me. I look around and see Cameron, whose eyes focus on the chair in front of him. Theodore pays attention with a bright smile and I wished I had his enthusiasm.

'As Madame Orsini told you: many decades ago one land was ruled by two brothers who came in a conflict. Isaiah, the oldest brother wanted a Kingdom with power. Families had to fight in order to survive. His younger brother Aurelius didn't agree with that, he wanted to create a home for the citizens who wanted to life in peace.'

'Both brothers had their own followers, they rebelled against each other and many died. Then, a sorceress named Otilia, saw what was happening and decided to create a boundary between the two areas of the land. She took her wand and between the leaders and their followers she let the earth split and created an abyss from at least hundreds of meters long, thousands of meters deep.'

'The only way to get from one land to another was to cross a long stone bridge, named the Separation bridge. She hoped that this way the leaders would leave each other alone and would have a happy life in their own Kingdom', I stop for a moment, trying to see if everyone understands what I'm talking about.

'And then your founder fell in love with the sorceress. Happy ever after', Ezra notices but I shake my head.

'That is not quite how it went. Isaiah, hated the idea of the sorceress and threatened to get her killed for what she did. Aurelius, on the other side, was the sorceress grateful and offered her a place in the castle of Ethura. She accepted the offer and before leaving she cursed Syrilia to be the darkest place on earth', I remark. Ezra shakes his head while the two other young man pay more attention after every word.

'What happened after that?' Theodore asks, wanting to know more. 'Aurelius lived a happy life with his citizens and became a loved King, with on his side the woman of his dreams, Otilia. Isaiah couldn't forget what had happened to him and tried to create a war whenever he could. His citizens needed to fight each other, to keep the strongest alive. Everyone born in his land who seemed weak or sick, got killed', I explain, leaning against the main desk.

'That still happens', Madame Orsini notices, giving Ezra a look.

'Our Queen doesn't kill her citizens, her man did that before he ran away', he defends himself. 'Most families in Syrilia don't even have the money to buy a house. That is what our King left us', he adds.

'But who did Isaiah marry?' Cameron asks curious.

'He married a woman who supported him, as it should', Ezra answers, glancing over his shoulder.

'I think we have to dismiss our class', Madame Orsini interrupts the babbling. All three boys take their stuff and walk over to the door after lowering their heads for us. Ezra clearly not as confident as always. Once the door is closet I turn to Madame Orsini, wondering when she would leave this room. I still had to take that book.

'You can go Rosalia, although I have to admit you explained the history good', she notices.

'Can't I help you with tidying?' I ask, hoping she would accept the offer.

'Dear, I believe you have more important stuff to worry about. Enjoy your free time, will you?' She keeps looking at me until I turn around and walk over to the door. I guess that the only way to steal that book is with a plan, she wouldn't leave me here alone, I noticed that.

I walk in the corridor without looking and run into someone when I turn the corner. 'I'm sorry, princess', Theodore apologizes and bows for me, his curly hear falling over his face.

'Theodore, please stand up. And call me Rosa', I remark, giving him a soft smile. 'Good, Rosa. I wanted to ask you something', he says a little unsure.

'Of course.'

'I thought you explained our history amazing. I would love to learn more about it. I wondered if maybe you had some more books with information?'

'We actually have a whole library at the main floor', I tell, which makes him more excited.

'You just have to walk left out of the main hall until you reach the last double door, I'm sure you'll find there what you need'.

'Thank you, princess Rosa', he says before bowing again and leaves me behind. At least this candidate tried to learn more about his Kingdom. I could clearly see that he wanted to become more and I could only pray he succeeded.