༒ Nine ༒

⇺             ⇻ ♕ ⇺             ⇻

Madame Orsini checks whether we are complete or not while standing behind the immense door that leads to the Great Hall. Levi and I stand in front, arm in arm followed by Jade on my left side. Behind us, my little brother Elliott, would be escorted by Madame Orsini herself.

Both of us wore a crown made for our status, which meant nothing too big or too remarkable. My nerves were raising up and so were those of my brother who looked straight ahead without even blinking.

'Breathe', I whisper over my shoulder. His eyes narrow mine and he nods softly, too nervous to say something. My brother was a sweetheart, not much of a talker but very smart. Very different from Valentina and I.

'Ready?' A guard shouts and Madame Orsini confirms that by speaking loud and clear as usual. The doors in front of us are getting opened by two other guards and in front of me, all I can see are hundreds of people.

My mouth falls open and by the expression on Levi's face I can tell he hadn't expect this either. Together we walk in on the classic music they always play by special events while the royalties name's our shouted by our priest.

'Princess Rosalia Indira Martinez!' He says loud. From all sides I can see flashes while other cameras are filming our entry. This had to be something special, my father would never let this happen if it wasn't important.

'Prince Elliott Arsenio Martinez!' He shouts a few seconds later, my brother's nerves were on point. At the main table of the royalty family, Levi and Jade leave after bowing for me, without a smile this time. So does Madame Orsini and then, Elliott and I are standing alone behind an empty table.

He looks up at me questionable while everyone murmurs excited and points at us as if we are special creatures. In front of us, at least ten tables of soldiers and maids are filled with behind them another ten with other staff from our castle.

The only people I could recognize were Levi, Jade and her auntie, and Levi's father, adviser of the King. He was the only one in a wheel chair. The camera focuses on me while I keep looking to the front, trying to ignore it.

'King Arsenio Fidel Martinez and our crown princess, Valentina Indira Martinez!' Everyone stands up once their names are announced.

My father walks in with on his side my proud sister in a prolonged golden detailed dress. Her hair in one long braid and the biggest crown I have ever seen right on top of her head. Uncle August and her maid Olivia walk behind them in the shadow.

The pictures are taken fast when they walk in, slow on the rhythm of the piano sounds. Even I got tears in my eyes, they looked perfect. My father takes place next to me while Elliott and I bow for him and Valentina stands on his left side, still waving charming to the people she normally treats like dirt.

As last person to join us, Uncle August takes place next to Valentina. He always had a spot at the royalty table, he was our protector. One photographer comes to stand in front of us, my father lays his one hand on my shoulder, the other one on Val's.

'Smile', he whispers. And we all do, even Elliott who hates pictures. After that we are allowed to take our places, except for Valentina. My father walks to the front and watches over everyone in the Great Hall. As well-behaved people, the three of us take our napkin and lay it on our lap while listening to whatever the King wants to announce.

'Today, our history will change. I can tell you, our loved citizens, a lot about my family, but there is only one important thing: we look out for each other, and for you. This island lost its Queen eight years ago, during a war with Syrilia. We have all been devastated about that'. He pauses for a minute and I can see all the people in the crowd bow their head slightly. This speech was going the exact way I was hoping it didn't go.

'Your former Queen, my wife, Indira Isabel Martinez, fought for her kingdom. She made us all proud. Some of us have been living in the past but as my beautiful daughter told me', he pauses looking at Valentina. 'We have to live on. That way we'll make Queen Indira proud'.

I hold my breath for a moment and stare at the face of my older sister. She had been planning this, with her talks she persuaded him to leave the throne earlier. Anger is boiling up in me and I can feel Elliott's hand taking mine under the table. I had to calm down, they would probably show this on the news tonight.

'We decided that Valentina will take place on the throne only in a few months!' My father shouts more excited than I have seen him in years. Everyone claps in their hands and some people shout gratified while Val smiles at everyone she can.

'Now you may wonder, who will be her partner? Who will be your new King? Who will stand by her side during this hard time of making decisions and growing up? I have to tell you ... we don't know either'. The crowd goes quiet in expectation what their King will say next. 'We, the Kingdom of Ethura, are hosting a Selection!' My father shouts.

Everyone's eyes widen in surprise, but still excited about the news. Unlike me.

'What?' I mumble stunned, feeling all the heat running up my face. While everyone is murmuring my father tries to calm them down by waving his hand.

'We are aware that our Kingdom never had a Selection before, but change is a good thing. I'll explain it short to you before we are celebrating this event with a glass of wine'. My father walks closer to the camera, followed by Valentina on his side.

'Every young man in Ethura, who wants a chance with our crown princess can register for this selection. Out of all these young men, me and my adviser's will choose three people who we think will be a good leader and husband. Tomorrow, every family on our island with a young man at home gets an entry form, personally delivered by our soldiers. All you have to do is fill it in and send it to the castle before next week. Thank you!', my father walks back to our table when the camera stops rolling. Valentina and he make another picture together and after that they take place at our table.

I'm still frozen, not knowing what to say. Neither does Elliott. We give each other a worried look and lean back in our chairs waiting for the diner to be served. This has to be a joke, Ethura can't organise a Selection. That's ridiculous.