Year 5-2 | Special Quill

I sat beside Hermione in the DADA class when my attention was drawn to a paper bird flying around the room gracefully. The students all watched playing with the bird and I stared at it carefully. Flying ever so gracefully and so freely, it looked like a dream. A small smile appeared in my face until the bird burnt down on to the Patil twins' desk. In the back of the class was the lady in pink smiling with her wand pointed out.

"Good morning children. Ordinary, Wizarding level Examinations. O,W,L, or commonly known as Owls!" She pointed her wand at the chalkboard in the front writing the words down as she made her way in front of the class.

"Study hard, and you'll be rewarded. Fail to do so, and the consequences may be severe" Umbridge continued. She flicked her wand at a stack of textbooks which flew itself down on to each of our desks. 'Dark Arts Defense for Beginners'. For beginners? We're in our fifth year for Merlin's sake. I flipped through the book and there were only theories, nothing about using defensive spells. Because when fighting the dark lord all we need to know are theories, amazing.

"There's nothing in here about using the defensive spells?" Hermione raised her hand.

"Well I can't imagine why you will need to use spells in my classroom!" Umbridge scoffed in such a high voice.

"We're not gonna use magic?" Ron furrowed his eyebrows at her.

"We're not going to be learning about defensive spells in a secure risk-free ways" Risk-free for the ministry of course, because they're afraid of Dumbledore using 15 year olds to overthrow the minister.

"Well what use is that, if we're going to be attacked then it won't be risk-free" Harry blurted out.

"Students will raise their hands when they wish to speak. It is the view of the ministry that a theoretical knowledge would be sufficient to get you through your examinations which is what school is all about"

"And how's theories supposed to prepare us for what's out there?" Harry continued.

"There is nothing out there, who would you imagine would attack children like yourself?"

"Oh i dunno, maybe Lord Voldemort?"
The class went into whispers. His name sent shivers down my spine almost immediately. Umbridge looked a little thrown back but kept a forced fake smile.

"Well let me make this, quite clear. You have been told that a certain dark wizard is at large once again. This is a lie"

"It's not a lie! I saw him I fought him!"

"DETENTION Mr. Potter"

"So according to you Cedric Diggory dropped dead at his own accord?"

My heart dropped again as Hermione grabbed onto my hand tight. The usual grief I would feel and the tears that would fall from my eyes didn't come. I only felt anger and hatred.

"Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident"

"IT WAS MURDER! YOU KNOW WHO KILLED HIM, YOU MUST KNOW THAT!" I yelled out slamming the desk.

"ENOUGH!"

"NO. NOT ENOUGH, you're TRASHING his name" I got up out of my seat glaring at her. She only smiled and slowly walked towards me with her chin upright.

"You're trashing your family's name Miss Clermont. So much like your father, mother too, perhaps?" I glared at her as the class broke into whispers. "Detention for you too"

Hatred, the only thing I felt right now. My fists were tightly clenched but I couldn't say anything, everyone knows it's the truth. I'm the daughter of a death eater, one that killed her own husband. I slowly sat back down feeling my lips quiver, I will not let myself cry. That would be losing to Umbridge.