Chapter 26 Part 1 - "The Hanged Concubine"

....

The flowering period of the Magnolia Kobus tree had passed, and the few scattered flowers left on the tree were also knocked down by the storm rain and turned into mud on the ground.

Clusters of red peonies and yellow roses were planted under the tree, and were in full bloom.
The peonies were as red as blood, and the roses were as yellow as jade, swaying in the ravages of summer wind and rain.

On that same Magnolia Kobus tree, a woman was hanged from the branches.
She was dressed in a luxurious Palace formal dress, which was of a fuchsia color and embroidered with rich peony patterns, and extremely beautifully.

Master Manager Liu An ordered his subordinates to disperse the onlookers and protect the murder scene.

It was really unfavorable to do so, for there were people one after another in the Palace, that passed by the Palace road.

'What is going on?'

They all wondered what was the commotion all about.

The Crown Prince hurried over, and Qin Ruo from behind held her a bone-shaped Palace umbrella with bamboo leaves.

"This old servant pays his homage to Your Royal Highness."
Liu An bowed deeply, and then said,

"This early morning, an attendant passed by and saw ※※Virtuous Lady, Concubine Zhao hanged from the tree."

"Has the Dali Temple been notified?"
Hearing that someone was found dead in the Palace, Murong Ci almost jumped up, but luckily it was not her Emperor Father...

In the past few days, Dali Temple Secretary Master Gu Huai and Master Shen Zhiyan did not know how many times they came to the Palace like this, early in the morning.

Liu An replied:

"As soon as this old servant came here, he immediately sent someone to inform the Dali Temple."

The wind and rain gradually ceased, and the occasional cool breeze brought a few drops of rain, which made the weather wet and cool that early morning

As the sun rose, the entire Palace glowed with bright colors.
The Palace walls became more red, the glazed tiles became more yellow, and the bricks became greener.
The entangled water vapor gradually dissipated, and the misty world gradually became clearer and clearer.

Concubine Zhao was still hanged from the tree.
Murong Ci looked at her.
She was soaked wet all over her body, her head drooped on a side, and the gorgeous Palace dress dripping with water.

Murong Ci ordered the Palace people to get the deceased down and put her on the ground temporarily.

Although dead, Concubine Zhao's appearance was still very beautiful.
Her face looked like a dyed artwork, and the rain had washed down the make-up, revealing her true and beautiful appearance.
However, due to her drooping head, some traces of make-up remained on her face.

For a moment, like a spark of lightning, a white light flashed in Murong Ci's mind, as if thinking of something...

A person squatted down beside her.
Immersed in her thoughts, she didn't notice, trying to catch that sparking white light.

"What is Your Highness thinking?"

This low voice made her tremble, and she suddenly recovered.
Seeing her startled, Murong Yu said in a mocking voice:

"Your Royal Highness is so bold, could it be you're scared?"

Murong Ci bit her lip silently, not wanting to pay attention to him, and looked at Concubine Zhao's neck.

"Your Highness, do you think that she hanged herself or was killed?"
He asked again, as if he wanted to test her.

"If you want to hang yourself, why bother to run here?
Concubine Zhao's Palace, Jingfu Hall is not close from here."
She pointed to the deceased's neck,

"However, there is only a strangle mark between her neck, which is dark purple."
She was puzzled.

'It was very unlikely that Concubine Zhao came all the way here to hang herself...
So even if she did, why would she hang herself?
However, the deep purple strangle mark on Concubine Zhao's neck was a testament to self-hanging...
What on earth is the truth?'

Seeing her frowning and thinking, Murong Yu said with suspicion,

"Concubine Zhao has her eyes shut closed and her mouth open, with her tongue touching her teeth.
There is only a dark purple strangle mark on the neck, which seems to lead to the conclusion that she hanged herself."

Murong Ci was surprised that he also knew how to do an autopsy.

"Perhaps Concubine Zhao really hanged herself, but maybe it was not voluntary..."
His voice was low and gentle, speaking in a voice that only she could hear.

"It's not voluntary..."
She suddenly realized that Concubine Zhao was brought here by the murderer...

'However, ※※Concubine Zhao didn't come here voluntarily...
Did she call for help?
Who brought her here?'

....

◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇

※※ (N.B.) Concubine Zhao's rank in the harem was that of 'Virtuous Lady/ Concubine (嫔 Pín)'.
UPDATING the character corresponding to the rank:

1・Empress (皇后 Huánghòu) (only 1) << Empress Mother, Murong Ci's mother;

2・Queen Noble Consort/ Concubine (皇贵妃 Huáng Guìfēi) (only 1) << no mentions for now;

3・Imperial Noble Consort/ Concubine (贵妃 Guìfēi) (only 2) << Imperial Noble Consort, Concubine Xiao;

4・Consort/ Concubine (妃 Fēi) (max. 4) << Consorts, Concubine Qiao, Concubine Rong;

5・Virtuous Lady/ Concubine (嫔 Pín) (max. 6) << Virtuous Lady, Concubine Zhao;

6・Noble Lady/ Concubine (贵人 Guìrén) (unlimited number) << Noble Ladies, Concubine An(past) Concubine Bai(past), Liangdi Ye, Liangdi Wei;

7・Lady of Beauty/ Concubine (美人 Měirén) (unlimited number; lower concubine ranks for court lady beauties) << no mentions for now.

8・Lady of Talent/ Concubine (才人Cáirén) (unlimited number; lower concubine rank for talented court ladies) << Lady of Talent, Concubine Mo(past);

◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇

------------
END of CHAPTER 26 PART 1
.....................to be continued