Chapter 39 Part 2 - "The Disturbance of Dinner"

....

Ruyi brought a group of Palace people to the main Hall with dinner, but didn't dare to go in and waited aside.

The scent of dinner curled out, drifting into the Hall with the evening breeze.

Murong Ci had a bad premonition immediately, now that Ruyi had come at an untimely time,

'This guy wouldn't dare... right?'

And just as she had predicted--

"Master Shen how about accompanying Your Highness for dinner in the East Palace?
This King is already hungry, so let's just eat in the East Palace."

Murong Yu's beautiful face looked at her with interest, and his eyes seemed to be smiling evilly.

The corners of her lips twitched,

"Although this Prince appreciates the Regent's company, I can't ask for that much, and I am afraid that the food in the East Palace is not suitable for the Regent's taste."

He said boldly:

"This King is not like some kind of 'court child' who has been growing up in beautiful and soft clothes, and has been eating finely prepared food since childhood.
Nor do I have a delicate or fragrant taste like 'them'..."

Shen Zhiyan felt a chill behind his back:

'Am I imagining things...or the Regent is referring to me...?'

Murong Ci's eyes twitched,

'The noble and glamorous Prince Regent would ridicule others for such a small intent?'

"Sure enough, the Prince Regent has been in the army since he was a child, and he has been training himself with strong and iron bones.
His subordinates respect and admire him, and he has always been fascinating the surrounding border army of other Countries with his fame."

Shen Zhiyan said with a smile, as bright and clear as the wind under the moon.

"Ruyi, bring in the food."
Murong Ci instructed coldly.

Ruyi entered the Hall with two other Palace maidens in one line, and soon filled the dining table with plates of delicious dishes.
After that, Ruyi and the two Palace ladies prepared three bowls of rice, placed silver chopsticks, and stood back a few steps.

When the three of them were seated, Murong Ci smiled and said,

"Prince Regent, Zhiyan, please feel at ease.
No need to be polite."

The way she said "Zhiyan" was as crisp and gentle as the previous one, and Murong Yu felt particularly harsh in his ears.

Shen Zhiyan took a sip of the hibiscus soup, and exclaimed with a smile:

"This hibiscus soup has a great flavor."

Murong Yu held a bowl of white rice and stared at Master Shen, who was smiling.
Murong Yu's eyebrows were as cold as frost.

Again Shen Zhiyan felt another chill behind his back, and it immediately felt like jumping from the bright spring air to the rustling late autumn air, bowing his head and picking up the rice.

Murong Ci scooped three spoons of soup and placed it in front of him,

"Zhiyan, taste this beans soup."

"Thank you, Your Highness."
He took a sip, and immediately flattered and praised the taste.
He then sighed, and glanced at the man next to him without a trace.

Murong Yu handed his white porcelain bowl, in front of her, but did not speak, just looked at her.

"What...?"
She guessed his intentions somewhat, but still asked deliberately.

"The beans soup."
In a low voice, he said the three words simply and neatly.

....

As the setting sun fell, there was only a ray of lights peeking from the clouds in the western sky, and the entire Palace was shrouded in a dark blue sky.

The Hall was dim, and the Palace people were holding bamboo lanterns, painted with a phoenix-tail, from which a dim red light and shadow were emitted.

Murong Yu's handsome face was cold, with a few flashes of red light, which seemed to add a bit of warmth.

Murong Ci put the entire beans soup in the middle of the dining table, meaning he could 'scoop it by himself'.

For the third time, Shen Zhiyan felt a chill on his back.
He lowered his head while eating his soup, and did not dare to raise his head or make the slightest noise, feeling that the meal was getting more and more tasteless...

'Can one's back feel this much chill...?
No,...it's more like a thorn in the chest...'

Murong Yu's eyes darkened a bit, and he took two spoons of the bean soup, then ate it gracefully.

"Prince Brother...! Prince Brother...!"
A voice that was as crisp as a silver bell came from a distance, and it could be heard before 'the person' this voice belonged to had even arrived...

....

------------
END of CHAPTER 39 PART 2
.....................to be continued