Chapter 44 Part 1 - "Praised or Fooled?"

....

Murong Ci asked Murong Shi:

"Jixiang was bitten by a fierce cat.
This reminded me of the recent murder cases.
This Prince is thinking, what other insects or animals can bite people resulting like Jixiang's injuries?

The Princess is very smart and I believe you can help this Prince to solve these problems.
Why don't you go back to the Palace first and think about it seriously:

besides cats, what other insects and animals will bite people like that?
Once you've thought about it, the Princess should come quickly to tell this Prince."

After speaking, she raised her eyebrows and blinked at her, as if expressing her complete trust in Princess Duanrou.

Hearing this, Murong Shi rejoiced in her heart, thinking that she could be helpful to His Royal Highness, and felt sweet as if she had just drunk honey-tea.

'His Royal Highness praised me for my intelligence and efficiency, and said that I could help to solve problems for His Highness!
Isn't this equivalent to His Highness trusting me?
Does it mean I was accepted as His Highness' companion!!?'

"Your Royal Highness, I will definitely ponder this matter seriously and will never let Your Highness down."
She said vowedly, with her heart happy.
Then she went back happily.

Ruyi bursted into a smile and said,

"Your Royal Highness, your ability of fooling the Princess is getting more and more refined."

Murong Ci exhaled,

"Finally dismissed her...
Ruyi, send someone to inform Shen Zhiyan and tell him that this Prince wants him to come to the East Palace immediately."

Ruyi took the order.
About half an hour later, Shen Zhiyan came back from Xiao Yin's residence and was about to talk, but saw His Highness in high spirits:

"Come with this Prince, let's go to the study room."

In the study room, Murong Ci talked about Jixiang's tragic bite by a cat on the street,

"With its sharp claws, that cat left big scars on Jixiang's left shoulder and left arm.
But more importantly, the bite wounds seemed very similar to ※Sun Yumei and ※Xiaolu's bite wounds."

※※ (N.B.) During the chapters of the "Cannibal Fish" of the "Blood-Jade arc", a woman, named Sun Yumei, was found dead in the Luo River (Chapter 20-21), and later another woman, named Xiaolu, was found dead in the Xiaoyue Pond of the Royal Garden (Chapter 22).※※

"Really?"
Shen Zhiyan was delighted and excited,

"Cats are usually docile animals, and are not very good at biting people, unless they are stimulated by an external source, or something is used to induce the cat to get angry and fierce."

"It's not necessarily a cat who bit Sun Yumei and Xiaolu.
It should be the same size as a cat that can cause such wounds."

"Your Royal Highness' analysis is quite reasonable.
For a while, I couldn't think of any insect bites that would cause a wound like that."

"Why don't we pick a few random insects and animals, and do a verification?"

"That's a good idea, Your Royal Highness.
I will prepare them once I return to the Dali Temple today."

Shen Zhiyan smiled in surprise,

"By the way, I went to Xiao Yin's residence to check it, and couldn't find any clues after all.
Just as Your Highness said, it must have been cleaned up."

Immediately, they thought and made a list of several insects and animals, such as rabbits, smaller puppies, monkeys, etc.
Murong Ci suggested:

"It's better to go check around on the street markets.
Maybe we'll gain something unexpected."

He warmly objected,

"Your Royal Highness was just injured yesterday.
It's better not running around and toiling.
You need more rest.
It's better to go tomorrow."

She had to give up and agreed to go to together the next day.

....

------------
END of CHAPTER 44 PART 1
.....................to be continued