Chapter 49 Part 2 - "The Biggest Flaw"

....

Shen Zhiyan suddenly realized,

"Your Royal Highness, how did you guess Concubine An was actually Cui Nong in disguise?"

'His Royal Highness is indeed powerful in detecting Concubine An's greatest identity secret!'

"This King wants to know too."
Murong Yu said.

"At first this Prince suspected that Concubine An was actually her maidservant, Liu Mei.
That was because I asked Concubine Qiao about her.

Concubine Qiao has been in the Harem for a long time now.
Naturally she had met Concubine An before.
This Prince heard from Qiao Fei about the amazing soft dance of Concubine An during the Palace Banquets, and she told me that Concubine An had been taught by her close court-lady Liu Mei.

Liu Mei's dance experience was quite legendary.
When she was young, she was a famous dancer in the capital.
Later, due to a careless accident her face was disfigured, so she gradually fell in popularity and lived in poverty.

In order to survive, she entered the Palace as a maid-servant of Concubine An, and taught her the art of dancing.
Concubine An entered the Palace and became the Emperor's favorite Concubine, and she also followed her in the Palace."
Murong Ci said,

"Because of her scarred and ruined face, Liu Mei would often cover her face with a veil.
The only one left in the Harem that knew about this old story was Concubine Qiao.

This Prince has been to the Spring Wuyuan Courtyard, and has seen that the face of the "Liu Mei", standing next to "Concubine An", was intact.
That was totally different from Concubine Qiao's story."

"So, based on what Concubine Qiao said, Your Highness figured out that the "Liu Mei" next to "Concubine An" wasn't the real one!"
Shen Zhiyan couldn't expect that there was so much insider information in this.

"Therefore, Your Royal Highness doubted Concubine An's identity as well!"

"Furthermore, in the scorching summer, Concubine An still wrapped her head and face with a long cloth scarf, which was pretty weird, right?
This Prince thought that the purpose of wrapping her head and face was not to be seen through the fact she was disguised.
But she forgot the most important thing: the absence of a scarred face in the "Liu Mei" standing right next to her was the biggest flaw in her disguise."

Murong Ci stared at "Concubine An" with a cold voice,

"You thought that the Spring Wuyuan Courtyard was isolated from the world and no one would go there, so no one would see through the gap with Liu Mei's appearance.
And even if someone did go, after more than ten years, very few people would think of Liu Mei."

Cui Nong's facial expression turned drastically, like a stone sculpture that had been eroded by wind and rain for a hundred years.
She was motionless, but her eyes gradually cleared up.

"The story told by Your Royal Highness is really full of twists and turns."

Murong Ci replied:

"Although this Prince doubted your identity, I must admit you were well disguised...
Sitting in a worn-out wheelchair, desolate and lonely.

Oh, it reminded this Prince now....
Manager Liu An mentioned before that he chose Chang Qing as a servant when King Rui was also there.
King Rui praised Chang Qing at that time.
Just imagine for a second, how could the dignified Prince, who was favored by the Emperor, praise a servant whom he didn't know at all?

Chang Qing was not a servant at all at that time!
There is only one explanation: Chang Qing was the eyes and ears of King Rui in the Palace."

A dead silence.
Cui Nong's eyebrows were peaceful, but those ancient well-like eyes were dead cold, and smoke gradually rose up because of Murong Ci's words.

....

------------
END of CHAPTER 49 PART 2
.....................to be continued