Chapter 26 Part 2 - "Concubine Zhao"

....

At this time, Master Gu Huai and Master Shen Zhiyan hurriedly arrived.
After the two saluted, Shen Zhiyan didn't say much, and began a preliminary autopsy.

The results of his autopsy were similar to Murong Yu's speculation.
It was preliminarily concluded that Concubine Zhao had hanged herself and had no other wounds on her body, nor traces of struggle.

"The deceased Concubine Zhao died today approximately around 3 a.m. before the thunderstorm.
Her green beautiful hibiscus shoes were fresh and clean, and there was no dust or mud."
His cold jade eyebrows were flying,

"However, it may have been washed away by the rain."

"Under her nails little pieces of the rope were found and her index finger nail was broken."
Murong Ci added.

"It should be the deceased who broke her finger while holding the rope with both hands when struggling at the last moment."
Shen Zhiyan speculated, putting his hands on his neck as a demonstration.

"His Royal Highness said that it is impossible that Concubine Zhao came all the way here from her Palace just to hang herself."
Murong Yu stood up, the corners of the black gold brocade robe were wet with the rain on the ground,

"Besides, why would Concubine Zhao hang herself?"

"The question raised by Your Highness is the key to this subordinates' doubts.
Whether Concubine Zhao hanged herself or was killed requires investigation."
Shen Zhiyan looked at Master Gu Huai,

"My lord, this subordinate wants to go to Concubine Zhao's Jingfu Hall to have a look there."

Master Gu Huai nodded, and Liu An hurriedly said,

"This servant will instruct people to lead Master Shen over."

Murong Ci watched Concubine Zhao being carried away by Liu An's servants, and suddenly remembered something, and said to Liu An,

"Master Liu An, Concubine Zhao will be buried after thorough investigation of this case."

He was embarrassed:

"This summer is scorching, I am afraid it will stink and rot if we leave it be for three more days."

Shen Zhiyan said:

"It's okay, today I will examine Concubine Zhao's body carefully, and then everything can be settled immediately for funerals."

Murong Yu said slowly:

"Just follow Your Highness' instructions.
She'll be buried after thorough investigation.
First seal the body with ice."

The Regent had spoken, so Liu An said no more.

...

Concubine Zhao was the Virtuous Court-lady that His Majesty Murong Cheng accepted ten years ago.
She lived in Jingfu Hall and had no children.

Several servants carried the corpse to the side hall and placed it in the side hall.
The close maids of Concubine Zhao served their master for the last time in the side hall, cleaning her body, changing her clothes, combing her hair and putting on makeup.

The rest of the court ladies and servants knelt in the main hall and wept, and the atmosphere of sadness filled everyone's heart.
However, who knew which cry was true and what sadness was a perfunctory disguise.

Shen Zhiyan and Murong Ci looked around the hall first, and then walked into the bedroom.
Concubine Zhao's bedroom was full of dazzling arrays, and the glorious light circulated, almost blinding people's eyes.
Various shapes of gold and jade ornaments could be seen everywhere.
The dressing tables were filled with all kinds of jewelry, and clothes were hung in sets on wooden frames, so the whole room was quite crowded with eye-catching stuff.

Ever since Concubine Xiao entered the Palace six years ago, Concubine Zhao had fallen out of favor.
It was rare to see Murong Cheng once a month.
Concubine Zhao was lonely and couldn't tolerate it.
So she found comfort and satisfaction from the treasures that His Majesty rewarded her, and she also got a psychological hint:

She thought, 'Your Majesty still loves me.'

Perhaps, she forced herself to think that and maniacally took care of these to show the Palace people of Jingfu Hall:

'One day, I will be favored by His Majesty again.'

Murong Ci was sorrowful for the women in the harem...
Although Murong Ci grew up in the Palace, she was used to seeing the ups and downs of the harem concubines, and their life and death changes.

Therefore, since she was sensible to this matter, she had long decided that she would NEVER become a miserable woman in the harem, and would NEVER let any man manipulate her destiny.

....

------------
END of CHAPTER 26 PART 2
.....................to be continued