Chapter 42 Part 2 - "King Rui"

....

At this time, Chang Qing's roommate was brought back by Liu An's people.
Murong Yu asked him a few questions.
He was trembling with fright, panicked and terrified.
He steadily wiped his sweat while stammering to answer.
Although he and Chang Qing shared a room, they concluded that he should know nothing about Chang Qing and didn't lie.

Murong Ci ordered the two guards:

"Carry the corpse to the East Palace, put it with Xiao Yin's corpse, and protect it with ice."

'Protect the body so that Shen Zhiyan can check it tomorrow.'

Liu An dispersed the onlookers and temporarily sealed the room.

Murong Yu's eyes were dark and he asked:

"Manager Liu, Chang Qing was younger than you.
You should know when he entered the Palace and how he was an errand in the Palace."

"The Prince Regent is really asking the right person."
Liu An's dead-white face was particularly awe-inspiring in the red light and shadow of the lanterns,

"This servant personally picked him into the Palace, when he was only seventeen or eighteen years old."

"Then he has been in the Palace for twenty or thirty years.
Where was Chang Qing's hometown?
Are there any relatives left in his family?"
Murong Ci asked.

"Chang Qing's hometown was...the Gyeongju, yes, it was Gyeongju."
Liu An looked happy, and suddenly remembered something.

"Yes, this servant remembered it.
Chang Qing was chosen from a group of people back then.
It happened that King Rui was also there. ※King Rui suggested that Chang Qing had quick hands and feet, and seemed clever, so this servant picked Chang Qing."

※※(N.B.) Just like Murong Yu's official title "the Royal King - Prince Regent", in this case too, the official title is "King ~" but practically this title is given, and refers to, the sons of the Emperor in the Empire.
So even if in truth they are "Princes" they are officially referred to as "King ~" and thus I'll refer to them as "King ~" like the literal translation of the used Chinese kanji.
※※

Murong Yu's deep eyes flickered, dark and unclear.

Liu An seemed to realize that he had said the wrong thing, and the panic flashed quickly,

"This servant has said the wrong thing, and asks for the Prince's forgiveness."

Murong Ci smiled and curled her lips.

'King Rui was her Imperial Brother, but she hadn't seen him ever since she was born...

King Rui and King Jing were taboos that no one could mention in the Palace and Court...'

◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇

In those years before Murong Ci was born, the Emperor of the Northern Country, the Great Yan Kingdom, Emperor Murong Cheng hadn't established a Crown Prince.

His sons, the seven Princes, fought each other harshly, openly and secretly, for the position of the Crown Prince.

One after another they ended up putting each other to death...

Among them, the struggle between the third Prince, King Rui and the sixth Prince, King Jing was the most intense, and the Kingdom was divided into two factions, the King Rui Party and the King Jing Party.

Nineteen years ago, King Rui and King Jing led each other's troops into the Palace under the name of rebellion and ended up being shot on the spot.
The rest of the Princes were left either left abandoned or injured...

The actions of the seven princes made Murong Cheng heartbroken:
He exiled the surviving Princes from the Palace and Country, and decreed that they would never be allowed to return.

From then on, the titles such as "King Rui" and "King Jing" became taboos in the Imperial Palace and Court.

◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇ ◇

Murong Ci didn't expect that Chang Qing would have a relationship with the vanished King Rui.

"The Internal Service Bureau has a record on Chang Qing.
Should I send someone to fetch it?"

Liu An suggested with a guilty conscience.

"No need. This King will personally go to the Internal Service Bureau to get it."
Murong Yu looked at His Royal Highness, and winked.

"Manager Liu An, I believe that you can handle the rest of the matter here."
having said that, Murong Ci took the lead and left with Murong Yu.

"This servant sends his regards to Your Royal Highnesses, the Crown Prince and the Prince Regent."
Liu An bowed deeply and then slowly rose. As the two figures were getting far away, a cold and stern stare showed on his face in the dim shadow on the night.

....

------------
END of CHAPTER 42 PART 2
.....................to be continued