The Decision

White ceiling. Beeping. Nasty smell. Cries. Laughter. Weak. Heavy eyelids. Hand being held and rubbed.

   I wanted to absorb all of this in when I heard someone shout, "She's awake! Doctor!"

I felt something cold in my ear, on my chest and a hand on my forehead. The light was too bright, so I closed my eyes. After a little while, I reopened them as a set of lips kissed my forehead. Luke's face came into view.

"Are you okay?" He cupped my cheek. I was too weak to reply. I looked straight into his eyes and blinked.

"I don't know what that means but I'm so fucking proud of you. Thank you for waking up."

"Stop being a pussy. I told you she was gonna be okay." Lucas smiled at me.

I looked around to search for someone but...
"Where's Johnson?" I asked weakly.
Luke scoffed and scrunched up his face in disgust.

"He went to check on your mum. He should be back in a few minutes." Lucas answered.

"I wanna go home."
"I'll go talk to the doctor." Luke stood up and left. I closed my eyes and fell into a deep slumber.

"Please, Mrs Harvey. You can't do this to her. She doesn't deserve any of this," a voice frantically pleaded.

"What about me? Do you think I deserved that? I was locked in a fucking asylum!" Another screamed back.

"Dude, calm down. You can't influence her decisions!"
"Stay out of this!" I heard a crash.

I walked down the stairs to see Luke and Johnson tackling each other. Luke grabbed a lamp and aimed it at Johnson who quickly dodged.

"Enough!" I yelled as a sharp pain shot across my head. "Everyone leave," I pointed at the door.

"Are you sure?" Johnson looked at me and I nodded. Luke looked between us  and scoffed.

    He grabbed his jacket and left the house. "I'll see you later." Johnson left too.

"I'm hungry." I said to Mom.

"Come on," she walked to the kitchen.

As we sat down to eat, she started talking.
"When you were in the hospital, I completed the divorce process. I got this house and a few properties as alimony."

"I'm happy for you." I smiled at her.

"That's why I've come to the decision that we should leave this city."

I looked up at her.

"Theresa, I know you've been hurt. You're still hurting. After the divorce, I realized that your father will still come to harm us. We have to get away from him. We both know how dangerous he can be."

"But, all my memories are here." I started. "Even though they're bad memories, this is where I'm meant to be."

"Theresa, try to understand. Your father won't leave us alone. I have enough money. Let's move, start a business and live a happy life. I promise you that we'll come back here when it's safe."

    As much as it hurts to hear her say that, she's right. Harvey's an animal. He'll make sure he ruins us.

"When are we leaving?" I asked as she smiled at me.
"The day after tommorow."

"What? That's too soon. At least wait until I graduate."

"If we wait until you graduate, our corpses may be the things that'll be moved." She held my hand.

"Okay," tears rolled down my face.
"Baby, don't cry." She hugged me close. "We never deserved this. We'll be okay." I snuggled closer into her arms.

      A loud crash shot me out of bed as I sprinted downstairs.
"She can't leave me! It's impossible! We haven't even made memories!" Luke started destroying my house.

No one had even noticed I was there. I walked over to him and punched him across the face.
"What the fuck is wrong with you?" I screamed at him. "I'm leaving the place, not the world. We can always FaceTime, you can always visit with Lucas. Stop acting like I'm going to die, dude."

"Theresa," he broke into sobs as he held onto me tightly. "You can't leave me like this. Who's gonna make me lose my cool? Who's gonna listen to all my nonsense? You can't leave!" He was full on crying mode now.

"It's okay, you dick," I smiled. "You're gonna be fine."

"BABY MAMMA!!!" Lucas stormed into my house. He looked so disorganized. He was wearing a bathrobe and he looked like a raccoon with his hair flying in all directions.

"What is it? Why do you look so disgusting?"

"You're leaving?" He asked.
"Yeah."
"No," he threw his arms around me. He smelled really bad but I didn't care. This douche made life fun since I met him.

My mum joined in the hug and almost squeezed us to death.

"Ahem.." Someone cleared their throat behind us.

Johnson stood there looking handsome as ever.

"You want a hug?" I joked.

"No," he smirked. "I wanna make a confession."

"The very first time I met you, you were so special. You were rude," he smiled.  "But, it didn't matter. I wanna let you know that you were the first friend I ever had, everyone else was just not perfect. I'll never forget you." His eyes were laced.

"Come on," I embraced him. He tried to control his tears but failed badly.

"I hate to break this moment but we've gotta pack." Mom reminded me.

The next hours were spent packing and unpacking stuff. And if you don't know yet, we're moving to Texas.

We had fun, even though Luke and Johnson spent the whole day fighting and bickering.

Rivarly.

I smiled because I knew I was gonna miss New York.

I hope I never get to see the Harvey family again. Ryder called as I informed him that we were moving.

"I'm gonna miss you, little one." He sniffled.
"Yeah right," I smiled.
"I'm serious Tessa. You made me not wanna hate our family. Our family is fucked up and you know it."
"How's your girl?" I asked.
"Pregnant."

"What?" I yelled.
"I was joking," he laughed at the other end.
"Dick."
"I'll call you later."
"Bye."

*****

"So, this is it." Lucas sniffled with a tissue box in his hand.
"I guess." We were currently standing in the airport.
"I'm gonna miss you guys." I pulled the trio into a hug as I started crying.

"I thought you said you hate crying." Johnson joked.
"I'm not crying," I smiled through my tears. "My eyes are just sweating."

We all laughed as my mom called me.

"It's time to go," she smiled.
"Bye guys,I'll call you." We waved to each other.

Hopefully, when I come back, we'll have some more memories to make.