Crushed

"Mom,I can't come home tonight." She said into the phone. "I think I should just stay for the night. Don't worry, I'm fine. Goodnight," She disconnected the call.

    "Lying? Seriously?" Caleb sat beside her.
"We have to work and I can't afford to go home right now."

   "I checked the number you asked for. The call was made from a burner phone. The burner phone was meant to call James only. We can't track it." Diana accounted.

    "This is getting more complicated,"David said and Mitch snored away.
"Get up!" Diana kicked Mitch in the butt.

"Ow!" He says from his sleep. "Let me rest, I don't wanna end up like somebody."

    Tess narrowed her eyes at him and moved closer. She picked up a pillow and smacked him.
"Ow!" He woke up.
"Say it again."

"No thank you," he said quickly.

  "I'm gonna head over to the hospital. I need to talk to the girls again." Tess announced.
"Should I come with you?" Caleb offered.
"No, I can manage. You stay here and try to find out anything we missed."

       She was on her way, driving to the hospital when Jason's call came in again.
"What do want Jason? I'm at work. You can't keep calling me." She said.

  "We finished installing the tracker."

   She sighed.
"Whenever you need me, just press your power button and I'll get a message."

"I don't need this. I'm perfectly alright. I can take care of myself," she disconnected the call and put her phone on vibration.

       She stepped out of the elevator and walked in the direction of the girls' room.

   "Hey," she walked to the girl who she talked to the last time. "Are you okay?"
"Thank you. We're all fine now. I told my friends about you." She gestured to them.

"I came to ask if you remember anything else." Tess started recording on her phone.

"No,I'm sorry. I told you all I can remember." The girl replied.
"What about the second man you mentioned? Does anything else come to mind?" Tess probed further.

     "No."

  "He's not a young man." Another girl voiced out.
"What?" Tess moved closer to her.
"He's an elderly man. The voice gave him away." She said again.

    The first girl stood up and whispered into Tess's ear.
"She's traumatized. The doctor told us not to believe everything she says. She claims to have seen him."

    "I'm not crazy." The girl said again. "I'm only saying what I saw!" She screamed and some nurses ran in.

"Please leave," Tess was ushered out.

    She stepped in the elevator to go down into her car. She placed her phone in her back pocket. She sat in her car for a minute when an handkerchief was placed over her nose. She tried to fight back but the scent overpowered her.

      "Wake up!" She was hit hardly from the side. She coughed up blood immediately. She opened her eyes slowly and absorbed her surroundings. She was in a junkyard. Where they crush cars. She was inside one at the moment. Her hands were tied behind her back.

    She couldn't see clearly but two guys stood with long sticks each.

Cheap thugs, she thought.

    She reached into her back pocket by stretching her arms really bad. She managed to press the power button once and she sighed.

"What do you want from me?" She asked and spat out the remaining blood in her mouth.
"Absolutely nothing, Miss Harvey," Another voice answered.

   Is this a new character? She thought.
He walked closer and she saw his face clearly.
"James? You kidnapped me?"

"Kidnapped? What are you talking about? You came in here willingly, right?" He smiled.

    "You're sick, you're really sick." She repeated again. While he was still laughing, she stretched again and pressed the power button. Twice this time.

    "You used Lucas's picture to divert my attention. Miss Harvey, a cop that investigates me never finishes the investigation. They get crushed." He smiled again.

   "How do you know Lucas? Where is he?"

"Why should I answer your question?" He moved closer to her. "You're gonna die anyway." He started touching her inappropriately until he found the phone in her back pocket.

  "Look at Lucas. He looks so young and happy. Poor guy," he looked at the wallpaper.

"Poor guy?" She asked. "What the hell have you done to him?"

   "Why do you have so much questions?" He yelled at her. "That's not nice y'know? I thought about it. No woman ever approaches me without a motive but there you were. You talked to me without asking for anything in return. You always appeared wherever I was."

    He leaned closer to her.
"I would call it stalking. I did a background check and you were what I thought you were. A rat. I thought you liked me," he placed a hand over his chest.

   She let out a high throated laughter.
"You? How could I possibly like you? Have you seen yourself in the mirror?"

"So, you're saying I'm ugly?"
"Yes, you freak. Now that we're talking, tell me. Did you kill those girls? Are you the one with the left body part fetish? You killed them, then cut off their parts?" She asked

"What girls?" He looked confused. "This is why I said, you talking too much wasn't good." He pulled her hair and yanked her head backwards.

   "You'll never get away with this," she whispered. "I'm betting my life on it."

    He laughed loudly again.
"Your life? You're not gonna have one anymore in three minutes. Don't worry, we're gonna take care of your mother so you can rest in peace."

    She stopped struggling immediately.
"How do you know about my mom?"

"What?" He moved closer. "Do you think you're the only one with connections? Just because it's not included in your personal details, you think I wouldn't fine that out? Wake up, Tess Harvey. Reality is harsh."

      "So, I'm really gonna die?" She coughed up blood again.
    She felt like she had already been beaten up a lot.

"And in case you're thinking that anyone will find you by tracking your phone, you're wrong. I already ruined that plan of yours. Crush her!" He shouted and turned around.

    Tess could hear the metal presser coming down slowly. James and his minions were leaving.

  "Is this how it ends?" She muttered. "Good job Tess Harvey. You've lived an admirable life," a tear rolled down her face. "I sure hope the after life exists because I'm gonna have a lot of fun when I haunt that murderer. Jason, you too. You promised to look out for me but you failed. I'll make sure I become a vengeful ghost and haunt you forever."