One in Town

..................................................................................

   Tess Harvey stood in front of her house with her a bag slung over her shoulder and another suitcase beside her.

   She looked at the house she had lived in years ago. It looked different.

Looks like mom's been redecorating,she thought.

  She pressed the doorbell once again as it obviously wasn't answered the first time.
"MOM!!!" She screamed.

The door flung open as Barbara came into view. She embraced her daughter in an air depriving hug.

"Mom, you're killing me." She managed to speak out.
"I've missed you so much, Theresa. This house feels empty without you." She collected her daughter's bags and led her inside. "You didn't tell me you were coming now. Now, that I think of it, you never tell me anything these days."

"Mom, can you stop this? I've been in town for a day." She plopped down on the couch.
"What?" She turned to her daughter.

"Yeah, I visited your diner yesterday. Remember anything?" She closed her eyes for a bit.

"You were the crazy girl that ran out." Reality dawned on her. "My daughter was the crazy girl?"

"Lady. I'm a lady, not a girl." She yawned as she went up the stairs to her room.
"Won't you take your bags with you?" She yelled.
"Can you please bring it for me, Mi amor?"

"I'm not your slave!" Her mother shouted as Tess crashed onto my bed.

Sirens.
Wailing.
Blood.
An infested body.
Ambulance.

She woke up with a fright.
She was soaked in her own sweat.
She picked up her phone to check the time.

7:05pm.
Not too late I guess.

She went downstairs and saw Barb cooking dinner.

"Hey Barbie, I'm going somewhere. I'll be back before dinner." She winked at her as she grabbed her jacket.

"Did you just call your mother, Barbie?" She appeared with a spatula as she scurried out of the house.

She pulled her car out of the driveway and drove to Steak House.

        As surprising as this may sound, Johnson owns this restaurant.
                       Yeah, I know, right?

He took a loan after college and started his own business. Now, he owns one of the famous restaurants in town.
  After making sure her car was properly locked, she walked into the restaurant.
A lot of people were in there with waiters going and coming.

Wow, business must be booming, Johnny boy.

"Hi," a waitress approached her. "Do you have a reservation?"

"Where's the boss?" Tess slung her arm over the waitress's shoulder and walked her to the kitchen area.
"Oh, do you have an appointment with him?"