Suspicions

They found Alessia and Johnson. She was badly beaten up. There were purple bruises all over her body. She called Johnson when she started coughing up blood.

     "You're still not gonna tell us how this happened?" Luke asked for the fourteenth time. She avoided his eyes and looked away. "That's it, I give up," he stood up.

     "You're still gonna stay with him? Even after all this?" Tess asked Alessia directly.

Luke and Johnson looked at each other confused.
"Stay with who?" Luke asked.
"I love him," she croaked out.

"Love who?" Johnson pressed further.
"Her fiancé."  Tess replied nonchalantly.

"Hold up a second, I'm getting confused," Luke stood up and Johnson sat down.

"You mean your fiancé did this to you?" Johnson asked and Alessia nodded.

"You're more stupid than I thought," Luke finished.
"I love him, it's not that easy to let him go. We've been together since college," she let her tears out.

   "Let me guess, he started beating you up since that time," Tess smirked.

"He just has anger issues, he's gonna change." She defended.
"Yeah, when he kills you." Johnson shrugged.
"No doubt about that,"Luke added.

"I have anger issues and I've never beat up someone so badly unless they deserved it," Tess said and wheeled herself out.

"Wait for me," Luke followed.

    Johnson stood up and faced Alessia.
"Next time, when he beats you up again, don't call me. Let him bring you to the hospital himself!"

"I'm sorry," she cried out. "I know I'm a burden."

"Why is he beating you up? There has to be another reason," Johnson stood arms akimbo.

   "He doesn't want me to work. He says he'll provide everything I need but I can't sit back at home and do nothing all day long. He's stingy. Very stingy." She wiped her tears. "I have to provide for my mum."

    "It's okay," he gave her a side hug.
   They were still in this little embrace when someone started clapping.

  "I knew you were cheating on me," a husky voice said. "I just didn't know who."
"Jace, it's not what it looks like," Alessia stood up frantically and tried to explain.

     "What does it look like?" Johnson asked Alessia herself. "You're my friend, I was just comforting you." He shrugged.

   "Comforting?" Jace walked closer to them. "Is this what this is?" He faced Alessia and placed his boots over her toenails. She was writhing in pain but Johnson failed to notice.

    "Hey asshole! Catch!" Tess shouted and swung her feet into Jace's crotch. He scrunched up his face and glared at her.

"What? We all know you deserved it," she sat back in her wheelchair. He made to move closer to her but Luke and Johnson blocked him.

   "Let's make this clear," Tess started. "I want you to face Alessia and tell her you want a break up."

"What?" He scoffed.
"Tess," Alessia muttered.
"Shut up," she silenced her. "Luke, I need you to record this."

    Luke brought his phone and tapped on it.

"Are you serious right now?" Jace scoffed.
"Break up with her or you can get a sentence for dating abuse. I know some sick lawyers who wouldn't let you get away with this."

    Jace looked at Alessia closely. "You want this? Even though you know how much I love you?" Alessia shook her head frantically.

   "You don't love me Jace. You're not treating me right and you don't want anyone else to love me. You want me for yourself. I'm not a commodity."

  "So," a single tear rolled down his face. "You want a break-up?"

    "Let's part ways," she moved away from him.
"Les," he reached for her hand."I was wrong. I'm sorry,I promise I won't hit you again. Just give me another chance."

    Alessia tried to remove her wrist from his grip. "You always do this. You always ask for another chance and then you hurt me all over again. Do you know I have nightmares? Suddenly, I'll wake up in the middle of the night and scream,'I'm sorry Jace!' even though I did nothing wrong." She was crying really hard.

   "They're recording this Les. Keep this video, I promise I won't do it again." He pushed a strand of hair from her face.

   "Seeing how you're begging me to stay, I guess you really did love me. But I know you don't anymore," She removed her wrist and picked up her medicine. "It was nice knowing you Jace. Even though you treated me like shit, I still loved you. I still love you now but I'm sure I'll get over it."

     "Les! I'm sorry!" He pulled her into a hug but she struggled free.

"I don't wanna do this anymore. I can't take it." She walked out and Johnson followed. Jace also tried to follow but Tess blocked him with her wheelchair.

    "She was a bitch to me in highschool but she's changed. You should too. We have this video. Stay away from Alessia and you'll be safe. I mean it." She wheeled away.

     "She doesn't make empty threats," Luke winked at him and left.

      After two hours, she discharged herself as usual.

  "Diana, where's James?" She called.
"He's currently at a restaurant at Broome Street."

"Thanks," she drove in the direction.

   When she arrived there, she quickly changed her wallpaper to a picture she and Lucas took years ago.
     She walked into the restaurant normally and ordered food. She took her seat behind James. Her phone rang. It was Jason.

"Hello?" She called out.
"Tess? Where are you?"

"I'm at a restaurant. Why?"
"Keep your phone on. One of my guys is going to hack your phone and install a tracker."

"Why?" She sipped her water.
"What if you faint again and no one's around? You really think I'll risk that?"

"Are you ever gonna stop liking me?" She asked.
"What?"
"What will make you stop liking me?"

"Nothing." He took a deep breath and replied. "Even if you get married,I'll still like you."

"I don't deserve to be loved. Find someone else," she disconnected the call.
"Here's your food," the waiter brought the food and she tried to move back but she phone fell to the ground. She was about to pick it up when she was someone else picking it.

    It was James.
He looked intently at the screen then he looked at Tess.

"I looked better when I was in high school," she joked and collected her phone. " We keep running into each other. I think its fate," she smiled.

     He didn't say anything for a while and stood up. "Excuse me," he went out.