Captain Smells Fishy

"Repeat that," Tess said to Caleb on the phone.
"Iron Man was released, the case is closed," he sighed.
"Whose orders?"
"Cap."

"Who the fuck is Cap?!" She screamed as she almost kicked Jason's car.
They were standing in front of a Starbucks.

"The captain!" He screamed back. "Look,I'm frustrated right now. Lemme call you back."
"Don't you dare hang up on me!"

"Okay, fine! What do you want?" He asked her gently.
"Everyone should assemble at the station right now! I'm on my way," she disconnected the call and turned around to talk to Jason but he was nowhere to be seen.

A loud honk startled her.
"Get in!" He shouted from the driver's seat and unlocked the door for her.
"Where to?" He asked as she fastened her seat belt.
"NYPD."

"Detective Harvey," the captain stood up and faced her. "Why are your teammates here?"

"Where's the suspect I arrested?" She demanded fiercely.
"He was released."
"On what grounds?"

"Lack of evidence."

"Don't make me slap you old man," she moved closer to him dangerously.
"Mind your language," he looked closer at her. He didn't seem fazed by her boldness.

"I arrested him without a warrant because we found evidence of murder at his house and he kidnapped three girls!"

"So?"

"How dare you say that? The victims clearly stated that he lured them in and confined them illegally and all you say is, 'so' ?"

"The victims family met him and the girls said he didn't lure them in. They said they walked in willingly and refused to leave. He didn't know how the body parts got there."

"You expect me to believe that?" She scoffed.

"Well, read the case file. You own Texas, I own New York. Don't just barge in here like you own the place whenever you...."

They were cut off by a phone ringing.
Tess looked over his shoulder and saw his phone on his desk. It wasn't ringing. It wasn't hers either.

"You have to leave now," he ushered her harshly out of the office.

"So, all our hard work has been for nothing?" Diana asked.
"You almost got killed!" Mitch yelled, startling them.

They were all in front of the station, including Jason. Caleb was resting against Jason's car, silent.

"Well?" David shook him. "Aren't you gonna say anything?"
He shrugged.

"Seriously?" David asked.

"Let him be, he's more dangerous when he opens his mouth," Eva patted David's back.

"Your boss is weird," Tess spoke up.
"Yeah, and his crooked smile gives me the chills." Diana shivered.

Max and his two minions walked out of the station.
"Hey! Dumbass!" Tess called out as she walked to him.

"Us?" Max pointed at himself and his minions.
"Yeah, you. What happened to the case you were working on?"

"It got dismissed due to lack of evidence," he replied.

As soon as the words left his mouth, she stamped on his left foot.
"That's for making our hard work go down the drain," she said and he groaned in pain.
"This is for being a pussy!" She stamped on his right foot and turned around.

"So, we all just wait around for our next case?" Diana said, adjusting her glasses.
"I guess so." Eva answered.
"I'm going solo," Tess announced.

"I'm sorry,what?" Caleb asked.
"Yeah,what?" Jason copied.

"I'm going solo. It means I'm getting to the bottom of this."

"No you're not," Jason finalized.
"I'm talking to my team, where do you come in?" She questioned.
"I've been a part of this team for a long time now, it's high time you acknowledge me," he gestured.
"You're not a part of the team," She dismissed him.

"And you're not going solo," he pulled her back. "We all know what happened the last time everyone worked together, you almost got crushed. That was you guys working together, worse could happen if you go solo," he explained.

"As much as I'd like to disagree, he's right," Mitch agreed.

"Your captain smells fishy."

They all looked at her.
"Fishy? How?" Caleb asked, crossing his arms against his chest.

"He has another phone and he acted really weird when it rang. Isn't that suspicious enough?" She asked.

They all shook their head in the negative.
"He closed a case with a large box of evidence, is that suspicious?" She stood akimbo.

"Yeah, I guess?" David contributed.
"I wanna dig deeper, " she started. "There's something we don't know. Iron Man has something to do with the murders, I'm sure of it. That doesn't stop the investigation on James, that maniac has to pay!"

"Of course," Jason said.

"Do you want us to join you?" Caleb asked on behalf of the team.

"No,I'm doing this alone," she sat them down.
"Please," Diana stood up. "We all know you're gonna need an hacker."

"Diana, you know I do your job better than you," she pushed her down on the chair.
"But, you going alone makes it a suicide mission," Eva groaned.

"And everyone going together, makes it a suicide squad," Jason clapped. "Can't you all just let it go? Wait for another crime?"

"If I got murdered, and my left breast and eye went missing, would you let the suspects go?" Tess pulled Jason closer.

He took a gulp of saliva.
"I will fight until there's no breath in my body," he swore.
"That's what I thought," she let go of him.

His phone started ringing.
"Hey Luke, what's up? Really? Can I see one right now? Thanks!" He hung up.
"What is it?" Tess asked.
"We just received the photos!" He screamed excitedly.
"What photos?"
"The ones I shot last week," he face palmed himself.
"Oh really? That's great," she dismissed him. "As I was saying, I don't want you guys on this mission. It's gonna be dangerous and I don't want you guys to be endangered due to my recklessness."

"So, you do agree that you're reckless?" Caleb smiled at her.
"Of course I agree," she shrugged.

"I'm in." Caleb announced and placed his hand in the middle.
"Way ahead of you bro," Mitch placed his hand on Caleb's.

"Guys, I said I don't want you on..."
"Let's do this!" David joined.

They looked at the girls.
"Obviously we're in," they placed their hands on the pile.

"You're all out! I don't want you guys this," she sighed.
"If I don't support you now,you'll end up doing something crazy, so," Jason held her hand and placed it on the pile.

"Jason.." she groaned.
"We're all with you, no matter what you say," David said.

Tess smiled genuinely at them, as if to say she was grateful for their support.
"Let's find these bastards!"