Book 4 ~ Chapter 12

After the battle at the portal, the Airbenders stood guard around the portal, protecting it from another potential attack. Korra, Asami, and Tenzin went back to the camp to check on Ju Lee's status. Meanwhile, Mako and Bolin were stood in front of the Chief, as she read through the report about the battle that happened at the Spirit Portal, written by Bolin. Chief Beifong skimmed through the report silently, before she started reading it aloud.

"After Tokuga was attacked by a dragon-eel spirit, he and the triple threats fled in vehicles heading west, while the spirits returned into the portal," Chief Beifong paused, squinting at Bolin's handwriting, "What does this last part say? I can barely make out the handwriting."

"Oh, It says: Then, in a surprising turn of events, Korra and Asami kissed. The end," Bolin answered, Mako turned to his brother pointedly.

"I asked you to finish the report, not write a romance novel," Mako whispered sternly.

"It seemed like pertinent information the chief should know about," Bolin whispered back.

"Huh, well, what do you know...?" Chief Beifong said, as she read the last part about Korra and Asami. She turned her eyes to Bolin and stood up angrily, "But next time you fill out a police report, it better be readable, rookie! Your penmanship looks like possum-chicken scratch!"

"Sorry, ma'am," Bolin replied, as he stood up straight. Chief Beifong sighed heavily.

"There's one more thing, Chief— We think Tokuga was hired to attack the airbenders," Mako added, Chief Beifong turned to him as he made a promising accusation.

"Hired? By who?" Chief Beifong further asked.

"Korra has a hunch that it was Wonyong Keum," Mako replied, Chief Beifong raised her eyebrow.

"A hunch based on what?" Chief asked, as she sat back down.

"She and the airbenders had a run-in with him at the portal a few days prior to Tokuga showing up," Mako explained. Chief Beifong locked her hands together as she moved forward on the desk.

"Yeah, Korra said this Wonyong guy threatened the airbenders if they didn't get off his land. No one threatens my Opal!" Bolin added.

"So you're buying in to Korra's cockamamie theory?" Chief Beifong asks.

Mako nodded and continued, "It's plausible. I was thinking we could bring Mr. Keum in for questioning and—,"

"You will do no such thing!" Chief Beifong shouts angrily at the same time, she bangs her fist on the desk.

"Why not?" Bolin asks questioningly. Chief Beifong sighs and turns her gaze towards the window behind her.

"Wonyong Keum is Republic City's most powerful and well-connected land developer," Chief Beifong explains.

"That doesn't make him above the law," Mako counters. Just then, the door to the Chief's office opened revealing Lei. She had just come from the Spirit Portal, assisting the airbenders until she was summoned by the Chief.

"You wanted to see me, Chief?" Lei asked, as she stepped inside. Chief Beifong nodded her head and gestured her to come inside.

"I called you over here for a reason. I need you on this case with Mako and Bolin, they'll need all the help they can get," Chief answered, Lei nodded as she made her way beside Bolin.

"As I was saying, that doesn't make him above the law, Mako. You're right, but it makes him very difficult to get to," Chief Beifong sighs, she turns towards the pair of brothers and Lei, "Unless you bring me some hard evidence that Keum is in tight with the Triple Threats, I'm not going near the guy, understood?"