Book 3 ~ Chapter 14

Mako and Bolin were freed from the cell, as soon as Zaheer told them his message to Korra. As soon as they were let out, Mako and Bolin ran all the way up, until they were inside the palace. They were looking for a way out but saw unusual things on the way. They saw people running through halls, taking whatever they could carry from the palace. As soon as they were outside the palace, they stopped and looked in front of them, and saw that Ba Sing Se was filled with fires. The sky turned orange due to the amount of flames and smoke everywhere.

"I can't believe it, the whole upper ring is in chaos," Mako breathed, as he observed what was in front of them. Suddenly, a person passed in between Mako and Bolin, holding one of the gold chairs from the palace.

"Shouldn't we do something?" Bolin asked, Mako turned to his brother.

"This isn't our fight, we have to deliver Zaheer's message to Korra immediately. Lei's life is on the line," Mako said seriously, as he started walking towards the air docks.

"Right, okay. Find Korra, deliver message. Yeah, this should be easy. We just gotta get out of the city, then get to the desert, and somehow find her in the big massive wasteland, that goes on for thousands, and thousand of miles. This isn't gonna be easy ," Bolin sighed, Mako rolled his eyes. He looked up and saw an airship hovering above them.

"We need an airship," Mako said. They started running towards the air docks, where tons of massive airships were parked. They ran up the ramp that lead inside of one of the docked airships. When they got inside, they saw people rummaging through the airship control deck for parts.

"Excuse me, may I have your attention please? I'm with the Republic City Police, we need to commandeer this airship to help the Avatar," Mako said aloud, the people stopped what they were doing for a second, but went back to rummaging for parts.

"Lei would've totally hit you if she was here," Bolin commented, Mako looked at him pointedly.

"Why don't you try it then?" Mako retorted, Bolin turned to the people.

"Hey! The Queen's gold is on the third floor of the palace! Second door on your right!" Bolin shouted, the people stopped what they were doing and ran out of the airship.

"You just gotta know how to talk to them, bro," Bolin said, as they walked over to the controls. Bolin took a seat on the pilot's seat while Mako looked for the radio but it looked like it was taken.

"Ugh! They took everything! I mean, who rips out a transmission radio?!" Mako said angrily, as he threw the wire that it was supposed to be attached to.

"Some folks just do not have respect for other people's property. Now, let's steal this airship!" Bolin exclaimed, Mako raised his eyebrow.

"You know how to fly this thing?" Mako said with disbelief.

"Technically speaking, no, but how hard could it be?" Bolin said, as he gripped the controls. He pushed a lever forward causing the airship to tilt forward. Now, the bottom of the airship was scraping the ground as it tilted and moved forwards. After a few tries, Bolin was able to gain control of the airship. He slowly ascended into the air as they hovered above the Ba Sing Se, that was in pure chaos. Mako looked down the window, only to see thousand of buildings on fire, causing the city to have a dark mist above it.

"The whole city is falling to pieces," Mako commented, as he looked down to the burning buildings.

"Mako, our family is down there," Bolin said, Mako raised his eyebrows in realization. He turned around and walked over to the pilot's seat.

He pushed Bolin out of the seat and said, "Move, we're getting them out,"

"Ohh, you think just because you dated Asami, you know how to fly this better than me?" Bolin countered, as Mako started adjusting some of the controls.