Book 4 ~ Chapter 14

THREE MONTHS AGO, At the Earth Empire Re-Education Camp, Gaoling. Doctor Sheng, a scientist stationed in the Earth Empire's Southern Forces, entered the tent of General Guan, head of the Earth Empire's Southern Forces. Commander Guan was having his hair trimmed when the Doctor had entered.

"Please tell me you made some progress since the last time we spoke?" Commander Guan asked, as the Doctor approached him.

"I'm getting better responses from the subjects, Commander. But that's not why I am here," Doctor Sheng answered.

"Then, enlighten me, Doctor Sheng— What could be so important that you had to interrupt my morning ritual?" Commander Guan asked, as the barber shaved the side of his head.

"The radio operators just heard from our forces in Republic City," Doctor Sheng replied, Commander Guan's eyes lit up and turned to the doctor.

"Well, why didn't you say so? I assume Kuvira and her Mecha-giant dealt with the United Forces a crushing defeat?" Commander Guan said.

"I'm afraid not," Doctor Sheng started, Commander Guan narrowed his eyes at her, she continued, "Kuvira surrendered to the Avatar, she ordered all Earth Empire Officers and soldiers to lay down their arms immediately,"

"No..." Commander Guan muttered, before bending the barber's metal knife to the wall, he turned to the barber, "OUT!"

"Yes, Commander Guan!" the barber said shakily, as he made a hastily exit.

"Victory was within our grasp. How could Kuvira turn her back on the Empire like that? on us?" Commander Guan questioned.

"I don't understand it either, sir," Doctor Sheng sympathized.

"You said you're getting better responses from the subjects?" Commander Guan asked.

Doctor Sheng spoke, "That's right, but—,"

"Continue your experiments," Commander Guan ordered, as they made their way out of the tent. Soldiers in their tight formations marching along the camp.

"Yes, sir. So, this means we're not surrendering?" Doctor Sheng confirmed.

"When these soldiers came to us, they were pathetic, a disgrace to their uniform," Commander Guan said, as he looked at the soldiers in training.

"Even Kuvira had little hope that they could be redeemed," Doctor Sheng added.

"But you showed me that within every broken shell lies a seed waiting to grow anew. Thanks to us, these men and women are now a force to be reckoned with. And their potential has yet to be fulfilled. The Great Uniter's Reign may be over, but the Earth Empire will never die," Commander Guan smirked.

PRESENT DAY, at Republic City Hall, where newly elected President Moon was making her speech. The President was walking down the halls, on her way to the stage, accompanied by Varrick, and her new assistant, Bolin.

"President Moon, after the speech you have a one o'clock with councilman Huang about the Evacuee Relocation then a two o'clock with Wonyong Keum and Tenzin to sign the paperwork transferring his lands to the Air Nation," Bolin explained, as he looked at the schedule on his board.

"What's the soonest I can get a dinner date on the books with my beautiful wife?" Varrick asked, as he peeked over Bolin's shoulder to look at Zhu Li's schedule.

"Let's see....I don't have anything available until the end of the month. Sorry, she's got a lot on her plate," Bolin answered, Varrick frowned.

"Who knew being President would be so much work?!" Varrick complained.