Book 4 ~ Chapter 17

Commander Guan stood at the window of the Mayor's office, as it overlooked the quiet nightlife of Gaoling. Behind him was the Mayor of Gaoling with an escort of two guards at the front of the desk.

"You're making a mistake, Governer Guan. I could be of Great Assistance to you and your administration," Mayor Rhee said nervously.

"Gaoling thanks you for your many years of service, Mr. Mayor but you are no longer needed," Guan said, as his soldiers escorted the Mayor out of the room. As the doors closed, he didn't notice the lingering shadow behind the door.

"Hello again, Commander," Kuvira said, as she approached his desk. Guan seemed surprised by her sudden intrusion.

"I'd ask how you snuck in here without being noticed, but that would be an insult to your cunning," Guan started, "So, have you come to try and stop me again?"

"On the contrary, I commend you on resurrecting the Earth Empire. You've always been a shrewd leader," Kuvira answered, "I'm here to propose a deal that will benefit us both,"

"What did you have in mind?" Guan asked, interested in her response.

"I've thought a lot about what you said. Why should others reap the benefits of what I— what we worked so hard to accomplish? In my quest for power, I've alienated everyone I've considered family. It's clear to me now that no matter what I do, things can never go back to the way they were. So, I've decided the only path left for me to follow is yours," Kuvira explained, leaving Guan shocked at her offer. He was unsure of whether to trust her or not. However, having Kuvira back in the Earth Empire would certainly ensure victory.

"You want to rejoin the Earth Empire?" Guan clarified. Kuvira nodded.

"On one condition," Kuvira started, Guan scoffed.

"I'm not stepping aside so you can reclaim the title of Great Uniter. Not after all the risks I've taken to get us this far. I'm in charge of the Empire now!" Guan responded angrily. Kuvira chuckled lightly.

"I assure you,  I have no intention of challenging your authority," Kuvira said, Guan was now appalled.

"Then what do you want?" he asked curiously. Kuvira stepped forward towards the window, overlooking the city, just as Guan was.

"I want to forget," she started softly, "I want to forget how I lost my temper and nearly killed my own mother. I want to forget the Beifongs and my life in Zaofu. All those painful memories but most of all, I want to wipe away the memory of all those I've hurt. I believe you have the technology that can help me with that?"

"Yes, but the process would also put you under my complete control. I can't believe you'd yield willingly," Guan answered, still shocked by the new personality Kuvira had shown him.

"This wouldn't be the first time I surrendered— and besides, we both know you wouldn't allow me back without brainwashing me. It's the only way you'll be able to fully trust me," Kuvira said, Guan nodded slowly.

"True," Guan muttered.

"This way, we both get what we want— you'll have my complete compliance, and I'll have a guilt-free conscience. So, do we have a deal?" Kuvira asked him, Guan thought to himself for a moment before smirking back at her.

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

As soon as they heard of Kuvira's disappearance, they rode Opal's bisen named Juicy to Gaoling. Toph, Korra, and Asami rode at the back of the saddle, with Lei and Su at the front of it on the look out for any signs of Kuvira.

"There's the place," Su started, as she spotted the plane with her spyglass, "But no sign of Kuvira,"

"Just admit it, Mom— Kuvira took advantage of your good will and betrayed you again," Opal interrupted, with an angry tone.