Book 4 ~ Chapter 1

It's been three years. Some people still couldn't believe that it has been three years since Zaheer's downfall. A lot has happened since then. There had been an increase amount of change through each person in Republic City. Korra was sent back to the Southern Water tribe to heal, no one has heard from her since she left. Over the years, Team Avatar grew apart, taking care of different responsibilities of their own. It was different for Mako and Lei. They stayed together throughout those years, not once growing apart. Bolin got himself a job, working for Kuvira, restoring order and peace in the Earth Kingdom. Asami resumed her position in taking over Future Industries. Mako and Lei continued their job as detectives of Republic City Police. Lei was assigned to be in charge of one of the units, which were composed of experienced officers, since Beifong needed a little hand managing the station. Beifong assigned Lei's unit as the responsible people to take care of any escaped Red Lotus members in Republic City. Lei and her unit has caught most of them in the city, but there are some frequent reports of Red Lotus member hide outs. Chief Beifong gave Mako a job to protect the future king of the Earth Kingdom, Prince Wu. He didn't like his job at all, but Lei always encouraged him that it would all be over soon.

It was night, just after midnight, two people were sleeping soundly on a double bed in a small apartment downtown of Republic City. Mako was fast asleep on the left side of the bed, while Lei kept fidgeting in her sleep next to him.

Lei opened her eyes and didn't know where she was. She looked around and noticed a familiar setting. The realization then hit her as she looked around. She was at the streets of the Fire Nation, but everything was burning. There was fires everywhere and it made her think of what happened during the 100 year war. All of the streets were filled with fires with the color of blue. She ran through the streets as fast as she could. She ran towards the palace, where she found that it was burning too. She felt so confused to what was happening until a figure appeared from the fires of the front door of the palace.

"T-This was all your fault!" a man shouted, covered in burn marks. Lei stepped back.

"W-what are you talking about?" Lei asked curiously, she felt scared.

"This wouldn't have happened if you lost control! So many died because of you!" the man cried, Lei started tearing up, feeling terrified of what was happening around her. Suddenly, electricity started appearing from Lei's hands. She looked down and saw that the lightning was charging. Then, she shot the lightning into another building of the palace. Lei gasped at what she had done, her fingers moved as if it wasn't in her control. The building collapsed and slowly debris started falling.

Lei started hearing voices in her head...

"You're just like your grandmother! Causing destruction everywhere!"

Lei covered her ears as she began hearing the voices that continuously kept invading her mind.

"The princess has lost control!"

"You would've done great things like Azula did but you had to settle for how pathetic you are right now,"

"You're pathetic! You call yourself the princess!"

"You're a disgrace to the fire nation!"

"Chang died because of you!"

"You are the one who brought the name of the Fire Nation to shame!"

Lei kneeled on the ground with her ears covered, as she started crying, feeling scared and tired of all the voices she's been hearing. Suddenly, her eyes shot open with a bright glow, as tears escaped her eyes. She began to see images of her parents, her grandmother, Avatar Roku, and Firelord Ozai. She saw another image of lightning erupting from the skies of the Fire Nation. The last image she saw was herself destroying everything she saw in sight.