Book 4 ~ Chapter 16

Following the aftermath of the heated civil battle of Team Avatar, Korra and the remaining members of Team Avatar had arrived in Zaofu. Korra pushed the confined Asami, with Lei riding Kaya and Toph riding Naga behind her. Opal held onto her twin brothers for support.

"Boys, help your sister to her room and call the medic," Su ordered, Opal groaned.

"I'll be fine, Mom," Opal assured.

"Korra, Take Asami inside," Su continued, before turning to Kuvira, who was left behind, "Come on, Kuvira. You're going to have to face him sooner or later,"

Su led Korra and Lei to the Prisoner accomodations with Kuvira following behind. Asami had to be confined in the metal suit that was meant for Kuvira. Dozens of guards were stood watched all across the hall as they walked down.

"We're going to get you settled in a room, Asami. But you'll be confined to the residence, the same as Kuvira and my son," Su explained, as they entered one of the accomodations. Korra began unlocking the metal suit for Asami to step out.

"Which is just another way of saying I'm being imprisoned," Asami added.

"No, but you will be watched. For you safety and ours," Su answered, as she fully stepped out of the suit and into the room. Korra was about to close the door when she turned back to Asami.

"We're going to find a way to help you, I promise," Korra said before closing the door. Lei watched outside, suddenly thinking about Mako. She was worried for his safety and wondered if she'd ever get the man she loves back.

"I never thought you'd have the courage to return home," a voice said behind them. Kuvira recognized the voice immediately and turned around to see her former fiance, Baatar Jr. She felt her heart drop upon seeing him again. Even when he looked angry, he showed compassion through his eyes, "Hello, Kuvira,"

"I-I didn't know if I'd ever see you again," Kuvira started, still in shock.

"And wouldn't you have, if Korra and her friends hadn't saved me," Baatar Jr. added, as he crossed his arms.

Kuvira faced him as she started, "I feel terrible about what happened. But you remember all the pressure we were under. I'm sure if you had been in my position, you would have-,"

"Tried to kill my fiance with a blast of spirit energy?! Never!" Baatar Jr. shouted, as his anger grew. He paused and took a deep breath. He looked into Kuvira's green eyes, sighed, "I loved you, Kuvira,"

"When mother told me you were coming, she mentioned that you were trying to change. I didn't believe her. I had to see for myself but you're exactly the same," Baatar Jr. explained, before retreating back into his room.

"Baatar, wait! I need your help!" Kuvira shouted, but Baatar Jr. slammed the door on her face. Kuvira's face lowered in despair, feeling as if she's lost everyone. Su laid her hand on her shoulder as a sign of comfort.

"Show Kuvira to her quarters," Su ordered to her guards. Kuvira retreated into her accomodation without another word. Korra turned to Baatar Jr.'s door before banging loudly.

"Baatar, it's Korra. I have to speak with you. It's urgent. I understand why you don't want to help Kuvira, but I'm hoping you'll help me. The future of the Earth Kingdom depends on it," Korra explained. After a few moments, Baatar Jr.'s door opened.

"Come in," he said, as he opened the door Korra to step in. Su turned to Lei who was still clutching her chest.

"Let's get you patched up now," Su said, as she let Lei hold onto her for support on the way to the infirmary.