Book 5 ~ Chapter 1

After Lin had informed Team Avatar of the unfortunate news, Lei immediately contacted her Aunt Izumi about their expected arrival in the Fire Nation. Izumi felt grateful and excited that her niece was coming to visit, she just wished it was under better circumstances. Lin prepared an interrogation room for Lei and Dr. Sheng. It was crucial that they dissect information from her to get a better understanding of what they were about to face. Lei entered the room, to see Dr. Sheng sitting down with her hands chained to the middle of the metal table. Lei closed the door behind her afterwards taking the empty seat in front of Dr. Sheng. Mako and Lin were watching closely from the other side of the room, behind a hidden glass pane window.

"I'm gonna make this easy and straight to the point so I certainly hope you do the same," Lei paused, Dr. Sheng narrowed her eyes, "Who's the buyer?"

"That is information I can't disclose, part of the deal with my customer," Dr. Sheng replied, Lei huffed.

"You sold one of the mind controlling machines then willingly testified everything you did?" Lei pointed out, strikingly sounding as intimidating as she could be. There was something off about the whole situation that she needed to uncover.

"I wanted to make a little money before I was arrested, what else is there to say?" Dr. Sheng said.

"The buyer. Why'd he tell you to testify?" Lei asked.

"What makes you think he did?" Dr. Sheng questioned.

"Because with the amount of money he gave you for that machine, you could've left Republic City in a second but you didn't, you chose to stay with Guan," Lei explained, Dr. Sheng thought the princess was more attentive than she thought.

"I chose to stay because I thought Guan's plan would work, the money was merely a backup plan," Dr. Sheng said flatly.

"I have an offer," Lei said, Dr. Sheng eyebrows rose showing Lei that her interest was peaked, "You tell me information about the buyer, I'll see what I can do about reducing your sentence in prison,"

Dr. Sheng thought to herself for a brief moment, "The buyer told me he wanted the shipment as soon as possible, he planned on using it on the Fire Nation as soon as he gets the chance. I never met him at the drop off point but when we conversed over the communicator, but he sounded young but he seemed firm with his intentions,"

"Thank you for your time," Lei said, feeling pride that she was able to get at least some information. She stood up from her chair and was walking towards the door.

"Oh, and one other thing," Dr. Sheng said, making Lei pause and turn to her, "He says he looks forward to meeting you,"

Lei furrowed her eyebrows in confusion wondering what she meant. She scurried out from the room and into the backroom where Mako and Lin had been listening in.

"Well, that wasn't much to get off with," Mako stated. Lei sighed.

"The buyer paid her good money for him to use it on the Fire Nation. It means he comes from wealth so we can start there at least," Lei breathed out. Mako noticed her sullen mood.

"Do you need your unit with you on this one?" Lin asked, as she was about to exit the room.

"We'll be okay, everyone is coming and I have a few friends at the Fire Nation that can help us out," Lei replied, Lin nodded before leaving the room to escort Dr. Sheng back to her cell.

Mako turned to Lei and pulled her into his arms, she hugged back without saying a word, he spoke, "What's wrong?"

"How can you tell?" Lei mumbled, as she buried her face into his shoulder.