Book 3 ~ Chapter 16

Mako, Bolin, and Asami were on their way to the Northern Air Temple, where they were tasked to get the airbenders and Lei back from the Red Lotus. The airship ascended from the clouds and in the distance, they saw the Air Temple. Mako and Bolin approached the window as they grew closer to the temple, while Asami steered the airship. Most of the temple had been destroyed. Mako grew worried looking down as he saw scorch marks from fire on the grounds.

"Oh man," Bolin breathed out.

"Must've been some fight," Mako said, as he gazed upon the temple. Suddenly, the radio came on and a voice started speaking through it.

"Mako, do you see Lei and the airbenders?" Korra asked, Mako picked up the radio phone and held it to his mouth.

"Not yet, we're just arriving. Don't turn yourself in until I get a visual on them," Mako said, before putting the radio back. Asami slowly landed the airship against one of the courtyards of the temple. Mako, Bolin, and Asami went down the airship to securely tie the ropes that were attached to the ship to the posts of the temple. They were about to walk inside when they saw Ghazan appear from the shadow of the tunnel.

"This way," Ghazan said, Asami and Bolin exchanged looks, while Mako stared intently at him.

"You want the airbenders and that little princess or not?" Ghazan asked, before going back into the tunnel. Mako took the first step forward as he followed Ghazan into the tunnel. It was a dark tunnel until they saw a light at the end. The first thing Mako saw was Lei on the ground, seriously bruised, as well as Tenzin. They were both tied up but Tenzin was chained to the ground. They saw the airbenders tied up at the back of the room behind Lei and Tenzin.

"Mako, what's going on?" Korra asked, Mako picked up the radio.

"They're here and so is the lavabender," Mako replied, as he only looked at Lei the entire time.

After a few moments, Ghazan gave a gesture for them to approach the airbenders. Mako immediately started running to the end of the room. He stopped and kneeled next to Lei while Bolin and Asami went to Tenzin. He sat down and placed her on his lap. She looked up at him with squinted eyes. Her mouth was covered but Mako removed the cloth. She had a ton of bruises everywhere. Mako grew furious with every mark he saw on her.

"Lei, I'm here, you're gonna be okay. Just hold on a minute, okay?" Mako said softly, as she put a strand of her hair behind her ear. Lei tried to mumble something but Mako slowly gave her to Bolin for him to hold her. He stood up and looked at the airbenders that were tied up. He was about to start untying them but they all looked like they were melting and all was left was clothes. At the back, Mako saw Minghwa. They immediately knew that they had been tricked. Minghwa stood up and sent a water bullet at Mako, but he quickly deflected it with fire. He immediately picked up the radio.

"Korra, it was a trick! They're not here! Don't turn yourself in!" Mako said, before placing the radio back down. Minghwa used her water arms to swing herself to build up a jump. She jumped over them and one of her arms extended towards them. Mako thought it was going to him, but he quickly realized she was aiming for Lei. Mako tried to run to her before he could get her but Minghwa grabbed Lei from Bolin and landed next to Ghazan on the other side of the room.

"Lei!" Mako shouted, before running towards them while sending fire punches at them. Ghazan created lava from the ground and sent it towards Bolin, who blocked it with an earth pillar. Bolin and Mako started running towards Minghwa and Ghazan, while Asami was trying to unchain Tenzin. Mako kept sending fire punches, while being careful not to hit Lei, but Minghwa was able to use her other arm to deflect it while the other held onto Lei.

"Would you just bury them already?" Minghwa said impatiently to Ghazan. He immediately created the entire floor of the room into lava, which separated them from Mako and the others. Ghazan and Minghwa slowly made their way back into the tunnel, with Lei with them.