Book 2 ~ Chapter 11

✨•~~~~~~~~•✨
MAKOs POV
I was leaning against the wall, throwing a ball to the wall in boredom inside my lonely cell. It's been an hour since they put me in here, for no good reason at all. I know Varrick was up to this, he framed me for all his work. I stopped throwing the ball, and clenched my fists in frustration. Suddenly, I heard footsteps and voices from the hall outside.

"Get your filthy hands off me, you idiot!" a familiar voice snarled.

The sound of keys started turning the door of my cell. When it opened, the guards pushed Lei into the floor of my cell. I raised my eyebrows and kneeled next to her, as they locked the cell again. She groaned as I helped her to her feet.

"This is your temporary cell until we can find one for you, try not to fight while I'm gone," the officer said through the cell window before walking away.

"You alright?" I asked worriedly, as she dusted her clothes.

"I'm fine, but those damn guards are dead when I get out of here," she sneered, as she stared at the cell door.

"I'm sorry, Lei. I didn't know they'd put you in here with me," I said truthfully, she smiled lightly.

"We're partners, Mako. If we go down, we go down together," she said softly, I smiled.

I sat on the metal bed, leaning against the wall, while Lei sat on a chair on the opposite end. She slumped back in her chair.

"How long do you think it will take Asami to get us out of here?" she asked, I shrugged.

"I don't know, she probably doesn't even care I'm here," I muttered.

"Did something happen between you two?" she asked softly, I looked at her.

"I think she thinks that I used her so that the culprits could steal the tech," I explained.

"What? That's crazy!" she exclaimed.

"Yeah, but she really looked hurt when I saw her face," I said, she gave me a soft expression.

"Mako, I'm sure Asami believes you, she's your girlfriend after all, isn't she?" Lei said.

"I don't know," I shifted uncomfortably and I'm pretty Lei noticed.

"What do you mean, you don't know?" she said pointedly.

"We've kissed but I don't know if we're getting back together," I said truthfully, she narrowed her eyes at me.

My relationship with Asami has been complicated. I really didn't know what it meant when she kissed me. I don't know if I just wanted someone by my side or if my feelings for her came back.

"So, do you wanna get back together with her?" she asked.

"No....yes....I don't know, okay?" I sighed, she sighed.

"Well, you better get you feelings straight because you're gonna end up hurting her," Lei said.

"I know, it's just that, maybe I don't want a relationship. I wanna find out what my life is like without needing a woman in my life," I said truthfully, she smiled.

"That's good, Mako. Sometimes, people get to find who you they really are as a person after coming out of a relationship," she said.

"Really?" I said in disbelief, she nodded.

"I'm going to tell you something but you have to swear not to tell anyone," she said sternly.