chapter 8

We rushed down the block, hearing a few people gasp, "I think thats him!" as we passed them. "It's that building over there!" I pointed while we started to run, making breathing hard as we laughed.

He almost ran face first into the door before I opened it, letting him go through first, us both sighing as it closed behind us and locked immediately.

He rested his hands on his knees as he took deep breaths, looking around. I coughed and smiled, "Ready to climb four flights of stairs, Hare?" he looked at me for a moment, then nodding as he stretched his arm.

With each step I heard his breaths got shallower, "You'd think with how fit you seem, you can climb a few stairs" I joke as he continues behind me. "I seem fit to you?"

"Not anymore"

I reached for my keys as we got to my floor, turning them in the lock and opening the door for the very tired Harry who breathed a thank you causing me to laugh. "You do that every day?" he asks, turning to face me as I closed the door.

I heard a small beep in my ear, signaling it disconnected the phone call when I heard a small ding from my pocket. "Yup, twice even. You can have a seat on my couch there" I pointed, opening my phone to find a text from Chelsea.

From: Chelsea
"You don't need me anymore, good luck!"

I smiled and grabbed two water bottles from the fridge, handing one to Harry as I plopped down besides him and turned on the tv. "What do you wanna watch?" I ask, turning to face him. He only shrugged, taking a drink from his water. Scratch that, he drank like all of it.

I rolled my eyes and gave him my water bottle which he took, "You know I think your behind a bit dramatic now." He only laughed, hitting my arm with his elbow. I turned on Netflix, choosing to watch some crappy Reality Tv show that had just come out.

5 minutes in, I got really into it.

I'm not proud of it, okay?

I hugged my knees to my chest and took off the jacket I had on, my shoes on the other side of the flat.

"Oh come on! He's is so lying to her," I yelled, staring at Harry with an annoyed expression to prove my point. He laughed with his chest and rolled his eyes, "Since when do you like these kinds of shows? You used to be obsessed with those weird nature documentaries." My mouth opened to form an o, not believing him "Weird? They were very informational! I bet you don't know that platypus' can sting you" I said matter-of-factly, "Yeah right"

I chuckled mischievously, pulling out my phone and typing into Safari, showing him the results. He read it, looking back at me, than reading it again.

I smiled brightly as he didn't say anything, hearing a small "Fuck off" from him when he handed my phone back.

"Do you have anything to eat? I'm famished" I heard him say eventually. I stood up going to check the fridge, frowning when I saw it was mostly empty. I had to use all the money I had for rent this month. I bit the inside of my cheek and looked back at Harry who was focusing on the television. I don't want him to see me as someone who can't even afford to buy groceries most of the time, which is exactly who I am.

"Ember?"

I looked quickly back at Harry, "Yes?"

"You alright?"

I realize I had been staring at the fridge for a few minutes, not grabbing anything out of it. I ran my hands through my hair and closed the fridge, "Wanna order in? Most of the stuff is leftovers" He nodded and I pulled out my phone, calling the pizza place. "What do you want?" I asked as the phone rang, "I'm fine with whatever"

"Thank you for calling, what can I get you?"

"Hi- uh yes I was wondering if I could order a large pepperoni pizza?"

"Of course, is that all?"

"Yes"

"That'll be 24.57"

"What? Last time it was only 13 bucks"

There was a sigh on the other end, "Yeah, last month we had to raise our prices. I have to say that this price doesn't include tip" I groaned internally looking at Harry who was watching me already. I chewed on my bottom lip and sighed. "Okay, that's fine." I gave her my address and she said it would be there in the next 30-40 minutes. The pizza money will have to come out of next months rent I guess, it's fine. I can ask if mum can help me out a bit.

"Are you alright?" Harry asked beside me, "Yes, why wouldn't I be?" I smiled, I hope he couldn't see through it. "You just seem a bit quiet that's all"

"hmm"

As I continued to watch the tv Harry tapped my shoulder, and when I asked him what's up, he only shrugged. Another 10 minutes passed when he scooted closer to me, claiming it was because he wanted a better view of the tv. 5 minutes after that he got even closer, which brings us to where we are now.

I wish Chelsea hadn't hung up, she would tell me what to do. What could I talk about, she said I shouldn't ask too much about his career. But I shouldn't talk about my career, there's not much to talk about. Chewing on my bottom lip I tried to think of any interesting things that had happened to me the last decade but for some reason I pulled up a blank.

Aha!

I could tell him about a customer I served who thought the place was a marijuana joint! A smile grew on my face as I turned around to face him, "Guess what happened the other day-" I froze as I realized how close we had become, my eyes widening as our faces were only 2 inches apart. I stuttered to make words come out, but they seemed stuck in my throat.

"Did you know you get this cute line between your eyebrows when you think?" he asked me, but the only thing I could concentrate on were his lips, and how they moved when he talked. Or how low and raspy his voice was, but it sounded smooth at the same time, like velvet. "I- I do?" He nodded, licking his lips, making my breath shallow a bit.

I can only imagine how nervous I look right now, sitting criss cross on my couch, two inches away from Harry, eye wide and frozen, barely being able to speak. He leaned a bit closer, barely an inch between us.

"What are you doing?" I whispered, my voice so quiet I doubt if you were any further than Harry you couldn't make out what I was saying. A small smile played on his lips, "Don't know what you mean, Love" I blinked a few times, getting a strange feeling in my chest me stomach.

Butterflies?

No. No way, this is Harry we're talking about here. The guy who used to get grossed out when I kissed him on the cheeks because he was scared of 'cooties'.

He raised his hand to tuck a piece of hair behind my ear that had fallen in u face, making him even closer. I swear I felt our lips touch for a brief second, it felt like electricity. I closed my eyes, my body feeling 10 degrees hotter than it did ten minutes ago, my heart pumping and my body betraying me. My brain was yelling at me, screaming 'Don't do this! You'll get hurt, he's leaving in a day! ABORT ABORT"

But I couldn't help myself as I leaned in, him doing the same as we closed our eyes and I took in his scent.

Vanilla and peppermint, with a hint of an oak-y smell?

I prepared for the life changing moment, our lips brushing against each other briefly, us both hesitating as if the world would fall apart as soon as we kissed.

Fuck it. I can do this.

I leaned in, almost feeling his soft lips against mine, jumping when I hear a loud knock on the door. I got so scared I hit my forehead against his, "Fuck!" I yelled, holding my hand against my forehead, hearing him laugh slightly.

"Pizza's here"