chapter 45

Harry dropped me off at work, then picked me up again, and I noticed he was acting weird the whole day. I had texted him a few times only to receive half hearted one word answers. Maybe he was just having a bad day, I was just hoping he would feel better by the end of it, he had agreed to come to dinner.

As we walked inside I rushed upstairs excitedly to put on my dress I had saved for a special occasion. I think the man I love meeting my mum is a pretty special occasion, although neither of them know about it. I've grown a bit more comfortable to allow my self to have these feelings, in fact I was planning on telling Harry tonight.

I was a bit nervous, since we've been a couple only for about a month now. I just hope I don't scare him away.

I shook the gut wrenching thought away, changing into my dress.

I tied it, putting my hair in a small bun and putting on my makeup

I tied it, putting my hair in a small bun and putting on my makeup. I smiled at myself in the reflection, I hope Harry thinks I look good, I want this to be a night to remember.

I hurried downstairs, letting him know it's his turn to get ready, pausing as I saw him in some loose jeans and a hoodie. "Hey, you okay?" I asked hesitantly, watching as he put on his shoes.

I didn't want to say anything about how he looks, he looks gorgeous as always but I thought he could dress up a bit. Nevertheless, I'm happy he's coming.

He looked at me for a second, a certain expression on his face that I couldn't really make out. "Uhm, I have a short meeting to go to. But I'll be able to make it there in time, I'll meet you yeah?" He didn't give me a chance to answer, grabbing his things and giving me a quick kiss on the forehead goodbye.

I was a bit stunned, not only at the fact that this seemed super last minute, but also that he didn't talk to me about it. I would have been fine to cancel tonight and move it, why didn't he tell me?

No. Don't do this Ember, don't get jealous and overthink things.

He told me he had a meeting, and I trust him.

I wiped my hands on the front of my dress, blinking and taking deep breaths to calm my mind. I grabbed my purse and keys, heading out after 10 minutes to head to my mum's.

As I drove I felt my mind keep going back to Harry, how he seemed desperate to get out of the apartment. Did he not want to come to dinner? If it was too soon he could have told me.

The thing about Harry is, he made me feel so safe and comfortable in my skin. He made my confidence grow, made me happy. But I don't think he realizes how easily all that can fall right back to zero, my insecurities coming right back to bite my in the ass.

All my ex's cheated, manipulated me and made me think I was crazy for thinking they would ever betray me.

I know Harry would never cheat..

But a piece of me just wonders, what if? And that piece is gnawing at me. I let out a deep sigh, pulling into my mom's driveway and knocking on the door, a small bouquet of flowers in hand.

She opened the door with a smile, "Ember!" She embraced me quickly, looking to my side then the car. "Where's Harry?"

I chewed the inside of my cheek, shifting the weight on my feet. "He had um- a last minute work thing. He'll be here soon" I smiled, walking in to greet Carter.

My mom put the flowers in a small vase filled with water, setting the food on the table as the time passed.

20 minutes.

30 minutes.

50 minutes.

1 hour and 10 minutes.

I kept checking the clock as Carter made conversation, barely chipping in my weight of it, but he didn't seem to mind. I grew a bit frustrated and pulled out my phone,

To: Harry
Hey, how's the meeting going? ETA? My mom's excited to see you again!

I turned my phone off as I sent the text, my brain growing dark with thoughts. I'm having deja vu and I hate it.

After 10 minutes I checked my phone again, feeling my heart drop as I saw the read receipt under the text.

Read: 7 minutes ago.

I furrowed my eyes brows and felt a familiar stinging behind my eyes, "Excuse me, I'm going to go wash up" I said, standing up and heading to the upstairs bedroom, calling Harry.

It rang twice before it went to voicemail, he was purposely ignoring me. As I heard his voicemail, the voices of all my ex's echoed through my head.

You're too clingy.

Jesus I can't go 30 minutes without you on my back.

I don't cheat, don't flatter yourself.

Don't be ridiculous Ember, you overthink too much.

I cleared my voice and talked into the phone, "Hey Hare, was wondering where you were... meeting go okay? Let me know if you need anything. I-"

I love you.

I shook my head and hung up, sniffling a bit and pacing around the small room. I grabbed a couple pieces of toilet paper, wiping away the few tears that had fallen down and fixed my make up.

I took a breath and looked in the mirror, not recognizing the insecure pathetic girl standing in front of me. She looked so different from the confident and elegant woman from this morning.

"Where are you, Harry?"