chapter 44

Harry's POV
My hand's at risk, I fold.
-

I walked out with a bright smile on my face, the look on Owen's bursting my mood to a 100. I could tell he was a dick just by his hair, but it was all confirmed as soon as he opened that fucking mouth of his.

And that comment he made about Ember... it got my blood boiling. Not in the good way.

I saw from her reaction it wasn't the first time he had said something about this, I walked back to the car fighting the urge to go back in and stay for the rest of her shift so he doesn't try anything else.

But I drove back to our apartment, walking in and cleaning up the mess from yesterday. The vivid sounds of her euphoria filled my brain, my stomach churning a bit.

I felt my phone buzz in my pocket, seeing Ember's name on the screen.

From: Ember
Already miss sleeping in..... SAVE ME

I smiled, imagining her sneaking her phone around to text me.

To: Ember
Wish I could Love, Boss is a real dick huh

From: Ember
You think so? I really like him

To: Ember
Yeah yeah, text me when to pick you up

From: Ember
8 hours. The thought of seeing you's the only thing keeping me sane, gotta go

I turned off my phone, setting an alarm for 8 hours and jumping back into bed. I was used to sleeping in, in a couple days I would have to go to a couple of meetings, leaving Ember alone. Maybe she would come with me.

I tossed and turned but couldn't get something off my mind.

When we went to bed last night I almost fucked up, big time.

I like Ember, that's a given. I mean I wouldn't have offered to let her live with me if I didn't.

But yesterday I felt something, so oddly familiar. It was something I never really thought I would feel again,eat alone anything close to it.

Last time the same thing took over me was a few years ago, when I was young and naive. I didn't know what it was, later I found out more about it.

I was so tired I almost said it out loud, ironic since I can barely admit it to myself. I couldn't tell her, she doesn't see me the same. I could just be a short term boyfriend for all I know, the thought alone made me nauseas.

I was already growing too protective of her, the show with Owen proved that. Maybe I should give her some space, if I do too much she'll find out. She'll leave.

I can't have another woman I love, leave.

----

I woke up, my phone ringing loudly. I groaned and turned over, picking it up. "Hello?"

"Harry? Where are you? You're like 40 minutes late, is everything okay?" I shot up, rubbing my eyes and silently cursing.

"Shit, I thought I set an alarm, I'm coming right now"

"Okay... everything's okay right?"

I hesitated, hanging up and getting my shoes on, going to pick her up.

I followed the directions she gave me earlier, seeing her standing out front of the cafe, shivering slightly. I parked in front of her, feeling guilty as I took off my hoodie, giving it to her watching as she put it on immediately. "Hey, I'm so sorry. You alright?"

She nodded softly, looking up at me with big eyes. "Owen locked me out after closing time" She laughed dryly, making me feel worse without realizing it. I pulled the hair tie out of her hair, letting it fall over her ears and down her shoulders and I brushed it out with my fingers. I leaned down and pressed my lips softly against hers in apology.

"I'm sorry. Come on, let's get home" She nodded with red cheeks as I opened the car door for her. I immediately turned the heat on as we drove home, "You deal with Owen okay?"

"Yeah, stayed in his office most of the day"

"That's good"

"Oh!" Ember perked up, facing me with a smile. "My mum called me earlier, she wants you to come over for dinner tomorrow. Can you come? You don't have those meetings until like three days right?"

I shifted a bit in my seat, seeing her mum again would be nice but I don't want to get too attached. If something goes wrong and she doesn't feel the same way, I could get hurt. If I don't slow this down things could get bad fast.

"Uhm- yeah I can check if that's fine"

She furrowed her brows a bit, "Huh? With who?"

"My calendar, call my manager to see if anything has popped up"

"Okay.." she said, raising a brow at me.

I can't afford to mess up and lose her. I need to give her space.