chapter 9

I swear if I were anyone else I would have beat my self up, who was I to think I could just kiss Harry without any consequences? At least we got interrupted, I don't know what would have happened if we hadn't. I grabbed my wallet and opened the door, seeing a young pimply kid standing in front of me, pizza in hand. "30$ and tip" he said in a monotone voice.

I raised my eyebrow and crossed my arms, handing
him 24.57 exactly, seeing him confused. "Trying to hustle me kid? For that, you get no tip" I grabbed the pizza from his and closed the door, hearing him protest but then give up. I saw Harry smirk at me as I sat back down, opening the box and grabbing a slice. "What?"

He shook his head, a smile still on his stupid perfect face. He grabbed a slice of his own as we sat in silence watching the tv.

"Whatever happened to your bowl cut? Or the voluminous hair you had?" I asked, staring at him while I ate my pizza. He shrugged, "Don't know, I mean I grew it out for a while, but cut it."

I nodded, looking back at the television. "You never cut yours" he said, sounding a bit surprised. "What'd you mean?" I asked, taking a napkin and wiping my hands on it as I leaned on back of the couch. "Well you always had super long hair, it's only longer now"

"Oh! Yeah, my mom would kill me if I cut it" I said, scooting a bit closer to him. "How old are you again?" Rolling my eyes I leaned my head against his shoulder, "Shut up, I've always wanted to cut it, just never got around to it." He stayed quiet, and I tended up, picking up my head. "Sorry, was that not okay? I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable-" he shut me up, stretching his arm around me and pulling me close, making my insides go crazy. I beamed brightly, feeling safe with him.

"What if next time, I bring you to a barber? You can do whatever you like"

Next time? I like the sound of that...

"Yeah," I sighed contently, "I'd like that"

————

"Next time!?" Chelsea yelled, my head still under my covers. "Chelsea, can you please come back later? I'm dying here" She scoffed, pulling the covers off of me, making me cry out. "Wanna know why? Cause you stayed up for hours with him! You have to tell me everything!" I nodded, trying desperately to get the blanket back from her, only making everything worse when she threw it on the ground, pulling me up by my arms.

"Chelsea, I promise I will. Please just let me sleep."

She sighed, "Fine." Handing me the blanket as I smiled and tucked myself in.

"I guess you don't want to see the text he just sent you then"

What?

I peeked over the covers, my eyes searching the room for her, seeing her sit on the couch 5 feet away. My phone was in her hand, I sat up slowly, suddenly feeling wide away. "Chelsea.... what are you doing...?" I asked, these were the kinds of moments that felt when you accidentally let your dog outside and you have to think before you act so you don't lose them forever.

Chelsea looked at me, smirking. "Oh Ember, I had such an amazing time last night, when oh when can we do it again?? If we don't see each other soon I may just have to write another song about you!" She exclaimed in a low and terrible British accent as she twirled around my apartment. "Did he text me? Give me the phone!" I yelled, way too tired for this.

"Maybe we should go out for tea! Oh tip top day ain't it? Chip chip cheerio!!" She yelled, hopping around. I couldn't help but smile with my tired eyes. "Chelsea" I said in a small voice, she turned to look at me as I held out my hand. She gave up and handed me it, and when I opened it, I was pleasantly surprised.

From: Harry
I had fun last night, good to catch up. I missed you, Em. I'm going to be in New York in two weeks, meet up then?
xx

"Why does he write X's at the end of the text? We knows who's texting." Chelsea said, flopping herself on my bed. I shrugged, "It's an English thing, Chels" She sighed, "You're barely British though, you only really get your accent back when you're mad." I laughed and threw a pillow at her, texting Harry back.

To: Harry
Me too, still feels so unreal. I should be able to take a personal day, send me the details whenever? I'd love to see you again. Missed you too Hare.
x

When I was happy with my wording, I sent the text, turning my phone off. He texted back within a minute.

From: Harry
Should be here the 23rd. Meet on the 24th? I could cook!

To: Harry
Cook? Very funny Mister. Don't want you burning my apartment down, I'll make something.

From: Harry
I'm hurt you think I would do such a thing. I'll have you know I'm an excellent chef. I'm cooking you dinner, end of conversation.

To: Harry:
Alright alright, guess people can change huh? Sounds like a plan, see you then!

From: Harry
People do change Ember. You are living proof of that. I'll see you soon, 6 o' clock.

I read his text, then again. Then again. I'm living proof? What the hell is that supposed to mean?