Chapter 93

Harry's pov

-

We drove home one sided silence, Ember's tired eyes staring out of the window as she rested her head against it. "I'm sorry" she whispered after a few quiet minutes, her voice tired and beaten down, my heart cracking as I heard it.

I tapped my fingers on the steering wheel, trying my best to keep my eyes on the road instead of her. "You have nothing to be sorry for, petal." I say, but know she doesn't believe me. The radio played but it still seemed to quiet, the air missing the happy cheer of her humming along to it. I had never seen anything like this with her, or at all.

I knew she and Mason were toxic, because of him. And that she had dealt with his abuse for too long, finding the incredible strength to leave him. She stood up for Chelsea to him months ago, and she was fine. I never thought seeing him in the grocery store so briefly would have such a hold on her, let alone send her into blacking out.

I still don't know what she saw, but I know it wasn't me. She looked at me as if she was scared of me, and the thought of that made me nauseous. I would do anything to see even the hint of a smile on her face right now. I turned my head slightly to look at her as we stopped at a red light, her arms crossed in front of her chest, her legs facing the door as her temple rested against the window.

Her eyes were glazed and shined in the going down sun, her lips parted as scrunched up her nose in a small sniffle. Her mouth was turned downwards in a permanent frown, her face full of exhaustion and hundreds of emotions I couldn't make out.

"The lights green." She mumbled, making me realize she knew I was staring at her. I cleared my throat and stepped on the gas, eventually pulling into the parking lot of our apartment. I carried all of the bags as we hurried inside, her arms continued to stay over her chest as she kept her head down. I unlocked the door and let her inside, placing the bags on the counter and locking the door.

I watched as Ember took her shoes off, disregarding them on the floor as she let them fall down. A small
meow came from the couch, the chubby cat jumping off and rubbing against her legs. I was slightly surprised as Ember ignored Finny, running her hands through her hair and quietly saying, "I'm really tired. I think I'm gonna head to bed."

"No dinner?" I asked, seeing her shake her head as she climbed up the stairs, each step seeming like a terrible chore for her. The door closed quietly with a small click, some steps echoing throughout the apartment as the lights turned off under the small crack of the door.

I looked down at Finny and picked her up, giving her a small scratch behind the ears. I set her on the counter and pulled out the new cat food I had picked up for her. She meowed and nudged my hand as I opened it, a small chuckle leaving me. I opened it and put the wet food in her bowl, watching as she jumped off the counter to devour her dinner.

I leaned against the counter and rubbed my eyes, my mind not being able to escape the thought of Ember. I waited until Finny finished her meal and made sure she had water, unpacking all of our food and placing it in the fridge and pantry.

Something we always did together while goofing around and listening to music.

After I finished I let out a short breath and said goodnight to Finny, who enjoyed her sleep on our couch. I turned off all the light and walked up the steps, the ones that seemed so hard for Ember to climb up on.

I knocked on the door before opening it, knowing she wouldn't answer anyways and that she was probably asleep already. I sighed and felt my heart sink a little, I hated when she was upset.

I opened the door and closed it behind me, my eyes adjusting to the dark as I made my way to the bed, sneaking under the covers with her. She was facing the window away from me, her breathing even. I faced her, my eyes tracing over her silhouette from the moonlight.

"Goodnight Ember."

Authors note:

I KNOW. I KNOW.
These few chapters have been downers, but I really wanted to bring out more in Ember and what she's been through. Also make their relationship stronger with this, it gets better don't worry loves.