chapter 53

"Here you go" I handed her a dry pair of clothes from the closet, closing the door behind me to give Chelsea some privacy. I jumped slightly as I saw Harry's figure standing in front of me, I clutched my hand over my chest as I took a breath.

"Hey, you scared me"

"Sorry, is everything alright?" He asked me, rubbing his hand up and down on my arm. I nodded, but then shook my head "Yes- no- I don't know. Something happened between her and Mason... I told her she could stay the night" I answered looking back up at Harry who had an understanding look in his eyes.

"Okay, that's okay. Are you okay?" He tilted his head a bit as he talked, pulling me close.

I nodded against his chest, taking a deep breath as he did

I nodded against his chest, taking a deep breath as he did. "I will be. I don't know about Chelsea though, he broke her in such a short amount of time Harry, I should have noticed earlier." He shook his head and held mine softly, playing with my hair.

"None of this is your fault Ember. There's no way you could have known okay?" I sniffled a bit, pulling back and looking up at him, muffling a small laugh as he wiped a tear from my cheek with his thumb. "Come on, let's get everything ready for her. We'll sleep and tomorrow we can figure something out, yeah?"

"Okay"

I couldn't believe how understanding he was about this, how willing he was to drop everything and welcome someone he barely knew into his home.

"Wait, tomorrow is your meeting." I said shaking my head as I furrowed my brows, looking at him. "What?"

"The meeting thing, the reason you're in New York at all" It had completely slipped my mind until now. "Right, shit. It won't be until 1pm, and I won't be back until 6ish maybe. Will you be okay here on your own with Chelsea?" He asked, holding my face in his hands, I leaned into him.

"Of course" I turned around hearing the door open behind us, Chelsea shyly peaking around it. "Hey" She said, looking down on the ground. "Hey Chels, how are you feeling?"

She shrugged slightly, "Been better" I pursed my lips to hide a small smile while I walked towards her, embracing her tightly. She seemed to tense a bit, this probably being the last thing she expected from me.

"We'll figure everything out tomorrow okay?"

She nodded against my shoulder and wrapped her arms around my waist firmly, letting out a shaky breath. "Thank you Ember. I'm sorry I've been such a terrible friend"

I mirrored Harry's earlier movement, cradling Chelsea's head as we swung a bit in comfort. "It's alright Chelsea, you have nothing to be sorry for okay?" I pulled back and brought her downstairs where Harry had set up a few pillows letting Chelsea lay down.

I brought her a blanket, watching as she tucked herself in. I smiled softly and went to turn off the lamp, looking back as she stopped me.

"Wait- could... could you leave it on please?" I frowned a bit, she used to only be able to sleep in the dark. I nodded and said goodnight, following Harry upstairs feeling his hand on the small of my back as we went to the bedroom.

I sighed, rubbing my eyes with the back of my hand as I shuffled out of my skirt and t shirt, leaving me in nothing but some underwear. I had grown comfortable enough with Harry not to completely shit my pants when I'm a little naked around him. I felt his eyes on me as I stole an old band t shirt from him.

We both went under the covers as I rested my head on his chest, tracing the small patterns on his skin.

"What are you thinking about?" I head him say, his chest rumbling as his voice echoed through his body. I smiled a bit looking up at him, "You're making that face again"

I raised an eyebrow and hummed, going back to my patterns. "Nothing, just... I know now why Chelsea didn't let me stay at her place when I got kicked out" Harry sat up a bit, pulling me with him as he picked up my chin so I looked at him. "I thought it was because of her mum"

I shrugged my shoulders slightly, "Yeah, but I always thought it a bit odd that she didn't really fight for it. Now I know it was because Mason had already weaseled his way into her life. It pisses me off, he takes everything and never gives anything back." I said, pouting and shaking my head.

Harry leaned forward and kissed my forehead softly, squeezing my side. "Fuck him."

I let out a small laugh, "Yeah. Fuck him." I sighed a bit as I let out a groan "I just remembered I'm going to have to call in sick tomorrow."

Harry hummed a bit in response, "It'll be fine. Don't worry about tomorrow's problems Em, come here" He pulled me close as he laid down again, pulling the covers over us as he rubbed my back softly, humming a small melody.

His voice was soothing and soft, like velvet. It made my eye lids feel heavy, my breathing even out and sleep take over my body.

"I love you Ember"

"I love you Harry"