chapter 52

Tw- violence

-

We drove home in silence but I could see Harry fidgeting, whether it was tapping his fingers on the wheel or rolling his lips in between his pointer and thumb.

We walked into his place and I took off the jacket he had let me borrow, placing it on the couch and running my hands through my hair. Harry came and sat down next to me, leaning his forearms on his legs.

We sat in silence for a while, staring at the blank tv. The air felt heavy yet my lungs felt like they couldn't get enough "Do you want to talk about it?" He asked me, breaking the silence.

I shook my head, "Not tonight" he hummed an okay and sat closer to me, pulling my head to his chest as we leaned back. He grabbed the remote and turned on the television, choosing the first movie he saw we leaned into each other.

There were moments in life where you don't really have to talk, or say anything to understand each other. The moments where no words were exchanged but you knew that person was there for
you no matter what.

This was one of those moments, I didn't need talking, I needed comfort, and Harry gave that to me.

I feel bad about Chelsea, it's not her fault, she didn't know Mason and I had a bad history or that we dated. I should have talked to her about it instead of leaving. "What are you thinking about?" Harry asked quietly, rubbing his hand up and down my arm softly. I looked up at him "What do you mean?"

"You get this look on your face when you're deep in thought" I raised an eyebrow at his observation, "Oh yeah?" He nodded, a smile returning on his face. "Yeah, it's very cute"

I hummed a bit, pressing a small kiss on his lips, feeling him melt into it right away.

"I'm just thinking about Chelsea" I say, answering his earlier question. "I feel terrible about the way we left her" Harry furrowed his brows a bit, taking in a breath to consider answering or not. "I think she's just a bit heated right now, Em. Wait a day or two, you'll be best friends again"

I chewed on my bottom lip, "I don't know, Mason does this to people Harry, he brings out the worst version of someone" He sat up a bit, taking in each of my words. "Is that what he did to you?"

I nodded, playing with the hem of his shirt to distract myself. "He would start arguments just to get me mad, he needed some excitement I think. He wasn't the type for a healthy calm relationship."

Harry didn't say anything, probably scared I'd shut him out again. I avoided his eyes as I talked, not wanting to see the look in them as I was about to say the next part.

"Even though this was years ago, when we got into arguments and fights sometimes things would get pretty bad. He would act like he was about to hit me, which kept me in control in his own fucked up way. He only hit me once, but it was enough to stay with me"

I felt Harry tense beneath me, his hand pausing on my arm as he let out a breath. He moved me back close to him and kissed the top of my head, he didn't say anything and I heard him mumble something to himself I couldn't make out.

"I love you" He whispered, resting his head on top of mine.

"I love you t-" There was a loud knock on the door making me jump as we both looked towards it. "Are you expecting anyone?" I asked, getting a bit nervous as he shook his head.

Mason doesn't know where I'm staying, but theres a small chance Chelsea told him. I'm praying she didn't.

"Stay here" Harry said, standing up and walking to the door, opening it. His build was so broad I couldn't make out who it was, until he moved to the side and I saw Chelsea standing by the door. She walked in without looking at him, her eyes strictly on me.

She looked pissed.

I stood up quickly, rubbing my hands on my skirt as I opened my mouth to speak. She looked back at Harry than me, "Can I talk to you? In private?" I nodded, bringing her to the bedroom as I sent Harry a look telling him I'll be fine.

I closed the door behind me, turning back to her. "What the hell is your problem?" She spurt out, my eyes growing wide "Excuse me?"

She dropped her hands to her side, "I'm finally happy Em! I wanted to have a nice dinner so you could see that I found someone, and you leave just because you dated a few years ago?" Her voice had a whiney tone to it, but I just stared at her in disbelief, not processing what the fuck is happening in front of me.

"You're kidding right?" I scoffed, I thought about all the times I'd been there for her when another douchebag broke her heart. Just because I don't want to be around someone who I was in a toxic relationship with she gets to be mad at me?

"No I'm not kidding, I just wanted you to be there for me. I'm always there for you!"

She's not seriously trying to manipulate me into being sorry for her.... right?

I've played this game hundreds of times with Mason, I'm not doing it again. I took a step forward and held out my hands to reason with her, "Chelsea, Mason is not good for you. He's a toxic, manipulative boy with serious issues. You need to get out of that relationship while you can, look what he's doing to you! Do you hear yourself?"

She scoffed slightly at my words, crossing her arms in front of her chest. "Listen, just because your in a relationship with a celebrity doesn't mean you get to shit on my life!" I blinked slightly, confused even more now. "What does Harry have to do with this?"

She let out a frustrated sigh, yelling "He was supposed to be mine!"

Woah.

I took a step back, where the hell is this coming from? "What?" Tears were pooled in her eyes as she spoke, "I was supposed to be the one in the healthy relationship. I was supposed to be the happy one! Then you ruined it all by falling in love with Harry!"

I felt my heart sink slightly, I'm watching her break down in front of me... because of me.

I wasn't mad at her, I was her. She's trapped in a terrible relationship like I was. I knelt down to where she was sitting on the floor, her head in her hands. "Chelsea..." I grabbed her arm and she jerked away from me, breaking my heart.

She wasn't in love with Harry, she was in love with the type of man he was. She wanted a good guy, she deserves a good guy.

"Don't." She whispered as I held her hands in mine. "Chelsea, where is Mason right now?"

"Home. My home."

I nodded understandingly, "He didn't leave when you asked him to, did he?" She shook her head silently, "And when you asked him to did he get mad? Say you were trying to get rid of him so you could have someone else over?" She looked up at me with wide eyes, the tears streaming down her face, "How- how did you know?"

"That doesn't matter Chelsea, you can stay here for the night okay? I'll help you"

She broke down again, hurdling herself over to me and wrapping her arms tightly around my neck as I did the same. I knew what it felt like to be in her shoes, feeling stuck and having no one to lean on.

I didn't have anyone, but I couldn't make Chelsea go through the same thing I did.