chapter 13

"Here ya go, 2,500$" I handed the check to my landlord who had woken me up at 6 am to tell me rent is due, I had barely scrimmaged enough for it, now I have to worry about getting fed. He mumbled something about "New Yorkers" as if he wasn't one, and I closed the door.

I had jumped back into bed hoping I could fall back to sleep but my brain seemed to stay awake. I groaned loudly and stood up, determined to find something or anything that could help with finances. I tied my hair up quickly, ignoring the few strands that fell from the hair tie to my face, pushing them back behind my ears.

First I ripped all the cushions from my couch, finding scrap dollar bills and loose change. Next I went through all my laundry finding money in pockets and the machines. I had rampaged through my whole one bedroom apartment, just to end up with 15 dollars and 12 cents. It could be worse, it's something.

I put the money into my purse, which I should probably sell, then looked around. I made a fucking mess. I rubbed my eyes awake and went to work, putting the couch cushions back, getting rid of any trash from last night or I had thrown aside, putting the laundry back and folding it, starting a new wash, making my bed, and vacuuming.

Thank god I decided to clean, because when I heard a knock on my door an hour later, I found my mom in the other side.

"Mum? What are you doing here?"

She ignored me and walked inside, seeming to look for something as she went from corner to corner looking through everything. "No no, it's fine. Come right in." I said with sarcasm closing the door behind me.

She looked back up at me, realizing her mistake and walking fast, holding my face with her hands. "Oh honey I'm sorry! Just wanted to make sure you were okay." She paused, "You are okay right? No bad days?"

Bad days.

That's what she calls it's when I get into an episode. Not a big deal, just get sad sometimes, who doesn't?

I pulled her hands away from my face, sighing as she inspects my face as if I might have been in a huge accident since the last time I saw her. "Mom. I'm. Fine. I promise okay? I even cleaned today"

A huge smile broke onto her face, "Oh my god that's great! I'm so happy to hear that, muffin!" She walks back to my door, "Still coming to lunch next week right?" I nodded. "Saturday 1 pm. Be there or be square!" She shouted as she closed my door, her visits were quick and short, not that I mind.

————

For the rest of the day I wasted time by organizing, making a mess, than organizing again. It wasn't the most fun, but it took my mind off of things. Mum always said productiveness leads the mind away from depression. It was kind of true I guess, if your doing one thing you can't think of another.

The last hour I had raided my closet looking for the 'perfect' outfit to wear, Chelsea had been MIA so I couldn't ask her for advice. She hadn't even texted me back when I told her about the tickets, I was going to check in on her before I left for the show.

When I figured out something I liked, I checked it out in the mirror.

I had gotten the dress a while back, when I was comfortable showing a bit more skin

I had gotten the dress a while back, when I was comfortable showing a bit more skin. But tonight I thought 'fuck it' it's mostly teenage girls there tonight anyways, not like I'll stand out from any of them. I did feel a bit wobbly in the heels I was wearing, I've had them since Freshman year but only wore them once to some stupid party I regretted going to anyways.

But that's in the past.

I'm going to support Harry, not to look good. But I must admit, I look really fucking good.

I even did my own make up, it was nothing too bold or difficult, but it looked pretty.

Chelsea would be proud

Chelsea.

If I was going to check in on her and get her ready I would have to leave now, I have to be at the show in 20 minutes. I check my handbag for everything and go downstairs, heading for Chelsea's house.

When I arrived I heard music blasting from inside, I rung the doorbell but doubt she heard me.

Desperate time call for desperate measures.

I reached for the spare key she hid under the doormat, opening the door and calling out her name.

"Chelsea? It's Ember, you in here?"

No response, I found the speaker and turned it off, the house falling dead silent. "Chelsea, you okay? I have a surprise, Harry invited us to a show tonight, totally free!" Still nothing. I started to get worried, I checked the time, 10 minutes and I was supposed to be there.

To: Harry
Hey, something came up. Might be a couple minutes late.

From: Harry
Everything alright?

To: Harry
Not sure, will let you know. Good luck!!

I turned off my phone and headed to her room upstairs, knocking on the locked door. "Chels? It's Ember, you in there?" When I heard nothing I got really worried, I might have to kick this door down. I'm going to ruing my shoes but I'd rather have broken shoes than a dead friend.

I took a breath, taking a few steps back and getting ready to sprint into the door. As I was about to get a running head start, the door opened, making me almost fall flat on my ass. In front of me stood Chelsea in a short red dress, her hair and makeup done, with black heels.

"Hey! Sorry I didn't hear you, was getting ready. We going now?" I looked at her in shock, "Chelsea oh my god I thought something was wrong! You didn't answer my calls or texts" I said, running in to hug her, I felt her check her phone behind me. "Dammit, I didn't pay my phone bill this month, must've cut me off. I relied though, just never sent through. Come on, let's go before we come late."

To: Harry
All's good, false alarm. We're on our way now, so excited to see you perform!!