chapter 84

We had all our things packed, Harry's stuff mostly and decided to fly back home, but before any of that, we both wanted to say Hi to Anne. She still didn't know about the engagement.

We pulled into her driveway and knocked on the door, my hand wrapped around Harry's bicep as we stood next to each other. The door swung open and I jumped slightly, not expecting it to move so fast, Anne smiling brightly by the door way.

She looked straight to me and reached for my left hand, gasping as she saw the ring on my finger. My lips parted as I looked to Harry, who had the biggest grin on his face.

I sent him a look that asked, she knew?? and he nodded with a smile, kissing my cheek and wrapping his hand around my waist. "Oh my gosh it's just beautiful Ember, congratulations!" Anne pulled me into her arms and squeezed tightly as I laughed, embracing her as well.

She had showed us inside and offered Harry and I some tea, and we ended up telling her all about last night.

About the engagement only of course...

After an hour or so we had to head to the airport and said our goodbyes.

"Can we stop at my mum's home before we go home?" I ask, Harry's hand in mine as we sat in our seats on the plane. He looked at me and nodded, picking up my hand and kissing the back of it.

"Wanna tell your mum the news?"

"Yeah, I want her to be the first person I tell."

Although my mom probably knew about the engagement, which was reason for her telling me not to worry about Harry when I saw those pictures.

After a few hours I felt my eye lids grow heavy, my head resting on Harry's shoulder, our breathing in sink.

But my head shot up when I heard a click. I wouldn't think much of it but it sounded a bit too much like someone taking a picture without their ringer off. I looked up at Harry who seemed to look around as well, "Don't worry about it" He whispered, kissing my temple and pulling me back towards him, letting me settle into him.

My eyelids eventually closed and my breathing went back to normal. I loved Harry and accepted his job, and I'm super proud of him for what he's accomplished at such a young age, but sometimes I wish we could have some privacy in public. It's all part of it I guess.

----

I opened my eyes as Harry slightly shook me awake, telling me we landed. I looked down and saw he had put my seat belt on me after I unbuckled it, sending him a look. "Why didn't you wake me up?" I said, referring that I could have done it myself with a smile.

He shrugged and got out of the aisle, grabbing our carry on's and handing me mine. "You seemed tired." I hummed and walked with him off the plane, yawning and rolling my eyes with a smile as Harry gave me a playful side eye.

We called an Uber and went to my mum's house, knocking.

She opened the door with a bright look in her eyes, "Oh Ember, hi honey!" she hugged me in greeting but I had a weird feeling. She sat us down and fidgeted with her fingers, Carter next to her looking at us with a proud smile.

Then my mind went to the small camera shutter sound I had heard earlier. I frowned and looked at Harry, "Can I see your phone quickly?" He looked at me curiously for a second then nodded, handing me it opened and I clicked the twitter app.

First thing I saw.

Former One Direction member Harry Styles... ENGAGED???

He was trending, of course. The little brat that took the picture must have sold it, it hadn't even been a day. My grown deepened as Harry looked over my
shoulder and sighed as he read the headline. I handed him back the phone and he rubbed my back slowly.

He knew how much I wanted to tell my mom on my
own, I hadn't gotten to tell anyone myself and now thousandths of people know.

I huffed out some air and held up my left hand "Surprise" I said, some sadness in my voice. My mom squealed and jumped towards me, hugging me tightly as she swayed us side to side.

"Oh my god my daughter is engaged!!" She yelled, her excitement making my mood go up right away. She pulled back and stared at Harry, who's eyebrows quirked up as she didn't break eye contact. She took a step closer to him and squinted her eyes.

"Take good care of her, Styles. I will not have her crying to me because of you. Understand?" My moms voice went low and scary.

If you first saw her you would expect a bubbly persona but she gets pretty protective over me, and I could tell Harry was a bit intimated as he quickly shook his head, his curls bouncing with him.

My moms stern and scary look fell and she broke into smile, wrapping her hands around Harry and excitedly tapping her feet. "My son-in-law! Welcome to the family"

Harry seemed confused about the sudden change in behavior but hugged her back, looking at me with a blush. As they continued talking I turned to my side to see Carter standing by my, rubbing his neck awkwardly.

"Hey Ember, listen. I know I'm not your father and will never try to replace him but... congratulations. I'm proud of ya kiddo"

My heart melted and my head tilted as I smiled and felt my eyes tear up a bit, I closed the space between us and hugged Carter.

He was the only person who hadn't treated my mom like shit, of course he's family.