chapter 55

I grabbed my keys as we headed downstairs, my heart already picking up. I felt giddy and nervous, but excited. It's not like we were going to do anything illegal, just bruise him up a bit.

My phone rang and I expected it to be Harry, my eyes rolling at Owen's name. I picked up and sighed, "What do you-" I paused and cleared my throat, coughing and making my voice nasally. "Hey Owen, I'm sorry I'm not at work. I think I might have caught the flu or something really bad, I have a super runny nose"

Only good thing about Owen, he was an extreme germaphobe. I felt him grimace over the phone, "Spare me the fucking details Ember, stay home." He hung up and I smiled as I started the car, Chelsea next to me. She fidgeted with her fingers as we drove towards her house, "Don't worry Chels, I'll do the talking."

Well.. not talking per say.

We stepped out of the car and walked to the front stairs of her house. I'm gonna be honest, didn't think about this next part too much. I didn't actually think we would go through with this, but there's no way I'm backing up now.

I took a breath and closed my eyes, calming myself to stop my hands from shaking. I'm not running away this time. I've grown stronger and better, Harry has helped me. I'm not the scared little girl I was when I was with Mason.

I knocked on the door 3 times, Chelsea hiding behind me. I sucked in a breath as the door opened, Mason behind it with a cigarette in his mouth, his hair messy. God he looks disgusting. He raised an eyebrow as he saw me, "Green, didn't expect you here"

"It's Ember."

He chuckled softly and looked behind me, "Chelsea, get inside. Where were you last night?" She started to walk towards him when I stopped her, holding out my arm. "This is her home Mason, you need to leave." I saw his jaw tense as he put out his cigarette on her front door.

"Last I checked she invited me in."

"There's a thing called changing your mind" I said, the sentence having more than one meaning.

Mason's eyes darkened and he walked towards me, making himself appear bigger. I fought my reflex to step back and be submissive, instead taking a step forward making his brows push together. "Back off Mason. Go. Home." He paused for a second, not expecting my behavior, but quickly pulled himself together.

He laughed and looked down at me, "What? Little miss Evergreen thinks she's all big and bad because she's fucking a celebrity? He'd leave you like that if someone slightly prettier walked along" he said, snapping his fingers.

I ignored the sting in my chest and shook my head, "Harry has nothing to do with this Mason. I got over the fact that you hurt me, I moved on. But you hurt Chelsea, I'm not okay with that. So leave."

Before he got the chance to say anything I took a step forward, grabbing his shoulders and jerking my knee upwards, hitting him in between the legs. He hunched over and let out a loud groan as he cursed in pain. I pushed him on the ground as he curled up, taking deep breaths. Standing over him, each leg on one of his sides I turned him on his back.

"Look at me Mason." He told me to fuck off, groaning as I grabbed a fistful of hair and made him face me "I said look at me."

He opened his eyes slightly, looking up at me. I leaned down and smiled, waving my fingers at him as I cocked back my right arm, swinging it at him. I hit him in the jaw as he let out another antagonized groan, "Fuck!" I stepped off of him as I watched him hold his jaw, "You bitch!" He yelled, but his words didn't cut through me this time.

I motioned for Chelsea to head inside, which she did as I looked back at Mason. "You're going to go home, you are not to come back here. I don't care how much of your shit is in her house, if you even step close to here I'll fucking kill you Mason."

Okay, I'm not going to kill him. But he doesn't know that.

He slowly got up, still hunched over as he looked at me as if he didn't know who I was. Instead of saying anything he got into his car and drove off, a satisfied smile on my face as Chelsea stood behind me.

I turned back to face her to see her jaw dropped to the floor. "Holy shit Ember. When did you become a bad ass?"

I let out a breathy laugh, flexing my hand as the pain started to rush in.

Didn't know punching someone would hurt so much.