chapter 46

I waited and waited, for a response, for a text, for a call back to let me know he can't come. Hell, I even half expected him to show up as if nothing was wrong.

But he never showed up, no call. Nothing.

It's like he disappeared.

We had dinner, the air a bit tense as the seat next to me was empty. I felt terrible, my mum was so excited to see Harry again. As I helped her clean up I started thinking about it, growing a bit mad. He had been acting strange all day, distant and cold.

He was being the complete opposite of him. Had I done something wrong? Did he not want to be with me anymore? I shook my head, wanting to talk to him about it.

I said goodbye to my Mum and Carter, telling them I'm sorry on Harry's end and that we'll have dinner soon enough. I walked outside trying hard not to yell out in frustration.

I let my hair down, letting it flow down my shoulders as I got in the car. I drove back home, my fingers tapping on the steering wheel as I did. When I parked I got out quickly and locked the car, heading to the elevators.

As I got out my key that Harry had lent me, I opened the door walking in. The lights were all off, expect for the bedroom light which I could see were on from under the door. I headed up the stairs, knocking on it slightly.

"Harry?" I tried to keep my voice calm and collected as I talked, but it came out shaky and quiet. There was no response when I opened the door, seeing Harry on the bed, guitar in hand. I furrowed my brows as he didn't look up at me, tuning the strings.

"Harry"

He was about to look up but stopped himself, throwing my patience over the edge.

"Look at me, God dammit!" I yelled, my hands at my side. His head shot up as his eyes met mine, I waited for him to talk, but he didn't open his mouth.

"You never showed up at dinner" I said, keeping my feet in place as I stared at him, watching a guilty expression take over his face.

"I know"

"How come? Your meeting take too long?" I asked, watching as he placed the instrument on the ground and stood up.

"There was no meeting" he answered, my suspicions getting proven right.

I took a deep breath and let it go, closing my eyes as I did. I nodded and ran my hands through my hair, turning on my heels and heading to the door.

"Ember wait-" Harry started, but I stopped him, turning back to face him with an anger on my own. "No Harry. Listen, I understand that you're busy being a fucking celebrity and all, and that your schedule is crazy. I understand that you'll have to cancel dinners, and dates in the future because something will come up. But tonight was important. For me at least," I took a few steps forward as he took some back, looking down at me with an upset expression.

I dropped my hands to my side, laughing dryly and staring at him. "All I wanted, was a measly fucking text Harry. Is that so hard? To send a text saying 'hey Ember! Might not make it tonight'" I mocked his British accent as I talked.

"I don't speak like that-"

"Oh shut up Harry! I mean there wasn't even a fucking meeting!" I yelled, my emotions taking over me. "Tonight was supposed to be a good night. I- I wanted to-"

I wanted to tell you I love you.

"I wanted to have a nice time" I said, feeling defeated looking down at the ground.

"Ember, don't be ridiculous"

I shot my head up with wide eyes, the words sounding a bit too familiar. "What did you say?" Harry looked at me with confused eyes, "You overthink too much, the real reason I didn't show up is because-"

"Stop" I said, taking a few steps back from him as he walked towards me.

He reached up to touch my cheek when I flinched, looking back at him, his face seeming as if I had just slapped him.

My breathing was shallow, my body going on autopilot as nostalgia took over my body.

"Ember.."

I backed away from him, wanting to get out of here.

"Ember. Why did you just flinch?"

I shook my head, holding up my hand to stop him. "Stay over there Harry"

He complied but kept that same expression on his face, "Ember"

"Why did you have to do this tonight" I said, shaking my head as I felt a tear fall on my cheek. I quickly wiped it away before he could notice, grabbing a few pillows from the bed and heading downstairs.

"Where are you going?"

"I'm sleeping on the couch"

"Ember no, come on just-"

"Leave it Harry" I said, slamming the door behind me.