Chapter 92

Harry's pov.
Yesterday.

-

I put our things on the conveyer belt at the register, looking back at Ember who was putting the fruit on. I smiled as I watched her for a second, my gaze moving up as they stopped on a familiar figure. The placement of the blonde hair and height made my stomach churn, my muscles tensing up as I saw Ember's ex two people behind us.

He didn't notice either of us, paying attention to something on his phone as he wanted in line.

"Hey baby is everything alright-" She asked, turning to look where I was staring. I didn't know what to do, or to say, all I could think of was to pull her close to me in some attempt to protect her. She gasped a bit in shock and then chuckled trying to slowly move back from me as she looked up with a smile. "What are you doing?" My heart broke at her obliviousness, my face staying still as I tried to think of a way out of here without making it too obvious.

"Harry" She says, her soft tone more serious now as she tried to get out of my grip to see what I was so focused on. I sighed and looked down at her, trying my best to seem normal. "Let's hurry and pay, yeah?" She raised a curious eyebrow at me as I turned around and jammed my credit card into the small monitor to pay for our groceries, frustration growing as she turned around and saw Mason.

I saw her stiffen as she did, her shoulder tensing up like how they always were when I first met her. I moved slowly towards her, placing my hand on her shoulder softly as she jumped slightly, forgetting I was there.

"Ember come on, we should go." I said, squeezing softly as she nodded, but I could see her argue with herself mentally. We quickly placed our items in the cart as we walked off to the exit. "We can head home, I'll feed Finny and make us some nice dinner, okay love?" I asked, hearing no response from Ember. "I'm sorry you had to see... him here today. I honestly had no idea he would be here. If I did I would never make you come here. I swear. And I'm so sorry about it, really I am." I say, continuing to look forward as I pushed the cart.

I heard still no response from her, feeling terribly guilty. I slowed the cart down and turned towards her, "Really Ember. I'm so sorry-" I cut myself off, seeing her nowhere near me.

"Ember?" I looked around me, feeling my heart rate pick up as I leaned the cart on the wall. I looked behind me and saw Ember facing Mason, her body stiff as a board as he was checking out, a bloody smile on his face. "Ember" I yelled out, trying to get her attention but failing as I saw her shut her eyes as if she was in pain.

She started gasping for air as if she couldn't breathe, her hand clutched to her chest as it moved up and down frequently. I tried to move slowly up to her, "Ember, everything's okay. You're okay." I moved my hand to cup her jaw but she flinched away from me, staring at me as if I had hurt her some how.

"P-please stop!" She cried out, falling on the floor and sobbing. I shook my head in confusion as I tried to reason with her, but that only seemed to scare her more as she moved away from me, her back hitting the wall. She pulled her knees to her chest and put her hands in her hair, muttering soft words of "I'm sorry" and "god- how did I let this happen again."

Her eyes were squeezed shut as I kneeled in front of her, "Ember." I say softly, her not changing her position. "Ember" I say a bit louder, still with a gentle tone as I held her face in her hands. Her eyes opened widely as she seemed to see me again for the first time.

"H-Harry?" She asked, her voice cracking, making my heart break as she looked around us. I knew people would be staring by now, but I didn't care. I just needed her to be alright. She looked down at herself and brought her hands to stare at them, not seeming to recognize how she had gotten on the floor.

"How did I- I don't understand." I pushed my brows together, not knowing what she was rambling on about."I was just- how long did I black out? Where is- Mason was just here- is he still?" She said, frantically looking around as she took shallow and quick breathes for air.

I feel helpless, I have never seen her like this before. What am I supposed to do?

I did the only thing I could think of, and I brought her focus on me. I softly held her face, staring into her glazed over eyes. "Ember," I start, seeing her relax at my voice a bit. "Take a deep breath for me, okay?"

She nodded shakily and inhaled deeply, looking as if this was her first breath in years. I did it with her, trying to ground her in some way, any way that I could. She exhaled and I did as well, her eyes shutting and exhaustion taking over her face.

"Better?" I ask, her eyes opening as she nodded.

"Come on, love."