chapter 89

Harry's pov

-

I felt Ember stir next to me in her sleep and I looked to the side, seeing the clock on the nightstand read 4:32 am. I groaned and sat up, stretching my arms and getting out of bed after putting my boxers back on.

I looked back at Ember as I walked out the door, smiling at how peaceful she looked. Heading downstairs I heard a few short meows and then felt soft fur rub against my calves.

"Hey Fin, couldn't sleep either?" I mumbled, picking her up and resting her against my chest as she purred. I made some coffee and sat by the kitchen counter on one of our stools, staring at my phone as Finny stared at me.

"I'm going to call him." I said, hearing her meow condescendingly.

"I will!" I said a bit louder, but then reminding myself to shut up and not wake Ember. I groaned and took a sip of the coffee, slowly starting to wake up. "I know it may be a bit short notice but it's still worth a try right?" I asked Finny, and then I realized I was talking to a cat.

Worst part is, I was waiting for her to answer.

"Fuck it."

My thumb hovered over the call button and I looked back at Finny, who moved closer to my and nudged my hand with her head. "Good enough, I'll do it." I say, taking her sign and pressing the call button.

It rung for a bit and I debated whether or not to leave a voicemail, my breath pausing as he answered.

"Hello?" A grumbly voice answered, the Irish accent coming through with the shirt word. I chuckled softly and smiled, "Hey Niall, surprised you're up. It's 9 am in London."

"Yeah, I wasn't up until just now" He complained, and I rolled my eyes.

"Right, sorry. I have a question."

"What'd ya need?"

I rolled my lips and looked back at Finny who looked at me expectantly. "I'd like for you to be my best man."

I heard a small inhale of breath and a sigh, "I wasn't already?" A small burst of laughter left my lips and I rolled my eyes, "Yeah yeah, yes or no?"

"Of course, Harry. I'll give you the best bachelor party of your life!"

"The only bachelor party of my life"

"Still the best"

"Okay fuck off, I'm going back to sleep."

Niall laughed and hung up, my nervousness about him saying no leaving. I went to go back upstairs when I opened the door and saw Ember tossing and turning in the sheets, a frustrated look on her face.

I walked towards her quickly as she whined, mumbling small words of protests in her sleep.

She was having a nightmare.

"Ember?" I moved to gently wake her up, shaking her slightly but her eyes stayed shut. I shook her a bit more and she gasped loudly, her eyes shooting open and she yelled and pushed me off of her, crawling to the back of the bed.

I stepped back in shock after I tried to move to comfort her, it feeling like a slap in the face as she flinched away from me.

"Ember..." I tried, my voice softening as her eyes glistened, blinking a bit as if she didn't realize it was me at first.

No words were spoken between us as I slowly moved onto the bed, our eyes staying onto each other and I held my arms out open for her. She immediately pulled herself towards me, her head staying on my chest as she took deep breaths.

She had never had a nightmare before when she was spending the night.

I didn't even know she got nightmares.

She snuggled a bit more, pulling back and rubbing her eyes.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to wake you." Her voice cracked, sounding tired and defeated; it broke my heart. I shook my head and rubbed her back, kissing her forehead. "Don't worry about it, love. I was already awake, are you okay now?"

Ember looked up at me with her tired eyes, shaking her head. "Can we just go to sleep please?" She asked, sighing as I laid down with her, her back against my chest as she took shaky breaths.

I wanted to know what the nightmare was about, but I never wanted to push her. I didn't want to force her into telling me something she isn't ready for me to tell her.

Too many things have been forced on her already.

So I didn't push it, we stayed like this until she fell asleep. I felt her breaths even out air left her parted lips. I stayed awake, scared she would have another bad dream, wanting to be there for her if she did.

But she didn't, she stayed still for the rest of the night.