Chapter 22

After they all made their way back to the living room, Matt went to join Gabby on the couch once again while Boden went to sit on the chair they have in there. Looking at Gabby, he just smiled at her. "So, how's Puerto Rico? What made you want to leave?" Gabby smiled when he asked her that. "Honestly, there are multiple reasons. The biggest is that I missed Matt and just had to come back. I was tired of doing the long distance marriage. I need him in my life and that is never going to change." Matt smiled when she said that and nodded while kissing her.

Matt's POV: When Gabby said that, I couldn't help but be happy. I felt the same way. Gabby is the love of my life and I can't live without her. And I am never going to have to again because I just know that we are going to live a long and happy life together, not just because she is back but because we are going to make it through this pregnancy together with flying colors. And hopefully, we will have a child of our own at the end of the pregnancy because that would be amazing. Just the idea makes me so happy. A real Casey baby, someone to carry on my name.

Looking at me as I wrapped my arm around her, Gabby smiled. "You want to tell him or should I?" I then smiled at him. "Chief, uhm...I am going to have to ask you this. This has to stay quiet. But I need to tell you so that you can keep me safe on the job." Boden then looked at me. "Don't I already do that Casey? Are you questioning my leadership? Has someone at HQ reached out to you about this?" I then stared at him. "What? No Chief, of course not." I then took a deep breath. "It's because..." Gabby then nodded. "We are expecting." Boden then looked at us.

"What? Congratulations!" He then got up and smiled as he came to hug Gabby. "This is a miracle. I mean, I always knew you would make your way back to each other but this..." I nodded and smiled at him. "Yeah but, we can't tell anybody at the house yet. It's too early and uhm...we are being careful with this pregnancy. There's stuff you don't need to know about." Boden nodded and understood, smiling at Gabby. "What does this mean for you? Are you going back to Puerto Rico? Oh, do I need to look for a new leader on Truck 81 Matt?" I then stopped him.

"Woah, don't even go there Chief. We are not leaving Chicago. I will be back in the New Year as planned. We are just planning on telling everybody then. We just want to keep it between us for a while. But, we want to tell you so that maybe...you can talk to OFI for us? I know Gabby is going to go crazy without a job." Gabby laughed when I said that. "Or, I can work at the firehouse. Honestly, I think that would be better considering I would just get worried all day." I nodded and agreed with her. "Whatever you can do. Heck, maybe she can work at OFI but at the firehouse."

Boden smiled when I said that. "I will pull some strings and see what I can do for you guys. This is incredible though. When are you due Gabby?" Gabby then smiled. "I am thinking maybe late August or early September. So, not for a while yet. All I know is that, I need my husband to be safe and out of harms way as much as possible." Boden nodded and agreed. "Gabby, you have my word that I am going to keep this future father out of harms way. You can trust me and you can also trust me to keep this quiet." I smiled and agreed with him. "Now, sit down and relax."

Boden laughed when I said that before nodding as he went to sit down again. "Can I get you anything to drink?" Boden then looked at me. "How about that whisky I hear from Severide you haven't touched since you got promoted. The one I gave you, we can toast this news." Gabby then looked at Boden. "Uhm Chief, last time I checked...I was pregnant." Boden then looked at Gabby and remembered that. "Oh, I am so sorry Gabby. I didn't think of that." I nodded and smiled. "I am going sober in solidarity." Gabby then looked at me. "Yeah, we'll see how long that lasts." I then looked at her.

"Gabby, I am not going to have time to go to a bar unless you go. You really think I am going to get drunk when you might need me at a moment's notice?" Gabby nodded when I said that, realizing that things were going to be much different this time around while we were pregnant with our first child. "Matt, think maybe you can drop by the house tomorrow? I know you are on break but...there are some forms that you need to sign." I was confused when he said that, going to give Boden some water. Sitting down next to Gabby, I wrapped my arm around her. "What type of forms?"

Boden then sighed. "You are going to need to add Gabby to your health policy again." I was confused when he said that. "I didn't know I ever took her off it." Boden was confused when I said that. "I thought you guys divorced?" Gabby then shook her head. "Nope, still married." Boden then smiled. "Oh, I am sorry. I just heard when you first left that you served him. The gossip around the firehouse." I nodded when he said that. "Yes, I was served but...I never signed the papers. I spoke to her and told her, I am not letting you go and I want to try long distance. I was her husband all this time. It was hard but...we made it through it."

Boden smiled when I said that. "Uhm, I hate to say this but...I do know about the aneurysm because it's in your medical file Gabby. They do it automatically for all paramedics. When you get diagnosed with something, it gets put in your file." Gabby sighed and nodded when he said that. "Yeah, we are being cautious when it comes to that but...I would rather not talk about it because it's hard. It's also scary to thing about it. So Chief, can we please..." Boden nodded. "Say no more. Now listen, can I tell Donna this or should I keep it close to the vest?"

Gabby laughed when he said that. "Of course you can tell Donna. How is she anyways? She still principal at that high school?" Boden nodded. "Yes, she is. Oh by the way, I forgot to mention...the reason I came by is because I am setting up for the Christmas Party tonight. I know it's last minute but...what do you guys say you come? I mean, if you are up for it." Gabby then looked at me and nodded. "We might as well tell people. Chief knows, it'll just get out." I then went to grab her hand and smiled when she said that. "Sounds good."

Gabby smiled when I said that before intertwining our fingers and just cuddling up to me as we held each other close, talking with Boden for the next hour.

Note to Readers: I am going to skip to when Matt and Gabby are getting ready for the party next chapter. I know I am early in the story to start skipping but, I have an idea for that and I want to do it before I forget it. I hope you are enjoying my new Dawsey story. Please, give me feedback.