Chapter 44

Matt's POV: After leaving Matt's mom's place, I smiled as me and Gabby decided to take a quick drive by the lakeshore. "I swear, I still find that this is the prettiest place in the city at Christmas." I nodded and agreed with her. "Yeah, except when you are jumping into the water when it's freezing cold." Gabby then turned to look at me and nodded. "Better than saying goodbye in a factory fire." I nodded and agreed with her as I went to grab her hand, intertwining our fingers. "That was the worst call of my life. I am just glad we got through it."

Gabby smiled when I said that and nodded as I looked out over the city. "I am glad you are home, you know that right babe?" Gabby nodded and smiled when I said that. "Yeah, I know. I am glad to be home." I smiled when she said that when we came up to the lights. I then looked and went to turn before smiling at her since we were now driving towards the firehouse. "We going to stop at the firehouse? I think there's something going on today. Christmas Eve something." Gabby nodded. "I think they are doing a soup kitchen."

Looking at the firehouse, I smiled when I saw that our friends were all there. "You know, you haven't spoken to Mouch much." Gabby smiled and agreed with me. "Or anybody really." I nodded and agreed. "I'll make you a deal. We do this today, tomorrow...we don't leave bed. That a good idea?" Gabby smirked and nodded when I said that. "That sounds much better. It's why I wanted to do Christmas today with Antonio." I smiled when she said that before going to pull into our normal spot. I then looked at her. "We just hanging out or volunteering?"

Gabby then looked at me. "Have you met me? I am volunteering." I laughed and agreed with her before going to park my truck. Gabby then went to get out and I smiled. Getting out too and walking around the car, I went to grab Gabby's hand and smiled as we intertwined our fingers so that I could lead her into the firehouse. "By the way, I am still not okay with you being a paramedic yet. Not while you are pregnant." Gabby smiled and nodded when I said that. "You want to tell people? I know we said first shift but...I want to tell Hermann. Remember last time?"

I smiled when she said that. "I thought we already told everybody?" Hermann then walked over to us. "About the pregnancy? Yes, you did. Remember, yesterday?" I then nodded and agreed. "Right, when I ran into the washroom and threw up." I laughed when she said that. "Oh shit, that wasn't supposed to be funny. Sorry babe." I nodded and understood. "Thought maybe we'd quickly stop by the soup kitchen since we are in town." Chief then walked over to us and smiled. "Are you going to work it or are you just going to relax? I need a chair then for you."

Gabby then smiled when she saw Chief and went to hug him. "I actually wouldn't mind talking to you for a minute if you don't mind chief?" Chief nodded when she said that. "Matt, I will be back in a minute okay? This is why I really wanted to stop. I meant to talk to him about something when he was at our place." I nodded and understood. "Go ahead Gabby." Gabby nodded and smiled as she quickly walked over to me and then went to kiss me softly.

Walking away with Chief, Gabby smiled as she prepared to talk to him in his office. Meanwhile, I walked over to Cindy and smiled since she was serving come people. "Need a hand?" Cindy then turned to look at me. "Only after I give my congratulations." I smiled when she said that and nodded while hugging her. "Where's Gabby?" I then sighed. "She's going inside. Probably trying to get her job back again. We already spoke to Chief about it. She's going to work at OFI we think." Hermann nodded and agreed. "Oh by the way...MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!" Everybody then smiled when I said that. "Merry Christmas Captain."

Going to start helping, I smiled as I went to serve to community at the firehouse soup kitchen while Gabby spoke with Boden inside. About what? I am not sure.