Chapter 56

Matt's POV: After making my way into the kitchen with Severide, he looked at me. "Where you off to?" I then laughed. "Thought maybe we could get out of the house. Me and Gabby haven't just gone out and walked through town for a while. Plus, you need the apartment later." Severide then turned to look at me. "What are you talking about?" I then looked at him. "Dude, you need to get off your ass and do it." Severide then laughed. "Stop pushing me man." I then agreed with him. "I am just going to tell you the advice Antonio gave me. Stop stringing her along."

Severide then looked at me. "The only reason you listened to him was because your relationship with Gabby wasn't as secure as mine is with Stella right now." I then shrugged and couldn't help agree with him. "So, just letting you know...I told Gabby that we are never splitting up again. If she goes to Puerto Rico anytime in the future, so am I. You going to be okay without your best friend in town?" Severide laughed when I said that. "I am still going to be able to FaceTime you." I nodded and agreed. "Oh by the way, you hear anything on the Slamigan they made?"

Severide laughed when I said that. "It's been helpful on some calls. Haven't you been using it? It's on your truck." I sighed. "I am not really the guy who does that. I give the orders." Severide nodded and agreed with me. "I still think that I should've been made Captain at the same time as you. I mean, at times." I smiled when he said that. "Honestly, I am shocked that both truck leaders aren't captains. Wouldn't it make sense? You have the firehouse chief and then the captain of each division. So, Squad Captain and Truck Captain for both trucks." Severide agreed.

I then remembered something. "That reminds me, when's your shift at the firehouse food drive and Christmas soup kitchen?" Severide then thought about it. "Babe, we have supper rush right?" Stella then turned to look at him. "For the soup kitchen?" Severide nodded when she asked. "Yeah, we are on supper rush. You guys going to come join us? I mean, you can't spend all the time alone." Gabby then looked at me and sighed. "Honestly, I would rather do the lunch rush than supper rush. I am tired at night anyways. The pregnancy makes you really tired."

I nodded and agreed with her. "Gabby, don't sweat it. If you don't want to go...we don't have to. We can get out of it easily." Gabby smiled and nodded when I said that. Severide then looked at me. "How can you get out of it?" I then looked at him. "Play the pregnant wife card." Severide smiled when I said that but Gabby didn't. "And just for saying that, we are going to volunteer for lunch." I then turned to look at her and sighed. "We can go right when we are done breakfast, I guess. I need to hand out some schedules for January anyways."

Severide was confused when I said that. "What do you mean?" I then sighed. "The other shifts have to work Christmas so...they are getting days off in January." Severide agreed with me. "That makes sense. You already print them off?" I then thought about it." I didn't. Mind continuing and I can go do that? Oh and I need to talk to you about something when I'm back." Severide nodded and agreed with me. "Sure thing." Walking away, I went to go grab my laptop by the desk and looked at Gabby. "Babe?"

Gabby then turned to look at me. "What's up?" I then smiled at her. "I have to print some stuff. I will be 10 minutes okay?" Gabby was confused. "What is it?" I then sighed. "Shift schedules that I need to deliver to the house. Boden gave me the job to schedule people. I am in charge of furlough stuff now. I hope that's okay." Gabby then sighed when I said that. "Stella, I am going to talk to Matt in the bedroom. 5 minutes?" Stella nodded and agreed with her. "Go ahead." Gabby then got up and walked over to me so we could talk in the bedroom.

"Should I be concerned about anything?" Gabby shook her head when I asked. "It's nothing to be concerned about. I promise." I nodded and smiled when she said that, ready to talk to her.