Chapter 36

Matt's POV: Once I finished making me and Gabby some plates, I smiled when I made my way to the living room so that we could eat together. Giving her plate of (pre-cut) pancakes to her, I smiled. "You pre-cut them?" I nodded. "I just find it's easier to eat that. And that way, you can still cuddle up to me while we eat." Gabby laughed and smiled when I said that. "That's just because you want to hold your family close." I nodded and smiled at her. "Oh definitely, more cuddle time with my girl and our child, bring it on." Gabby smiled when I said that. 

Grabbing her fork, she then went to take a bite of the pancakes I made. I could tell she liked them because she made a face that I recognize anywhere. "Okay, you added something to these." I nodded. "I put a bit of cinnamon in the pancake mix." Gabby smiled. "Okay, who taught you that?" I then laughed. "The things you learn from your candidate sometimes. I asked him what he did one day when he made pancakes...he said he added some cinnamon and ever since, I've been doing the same ever since I started making pancakes."

That's when I heard the door unlock and saw it was Severide. Gabby then turned to look at me. "Okay, what the hell is Severide doing here with a key?" Severide then laughed. "You didn't look in the back room did you?" Gabby shook her head. "I live here. Matt asked me to just give you a couple nights to get reaquainted. But now, I am back home for now." Gabby then turned to look at me. "Just like he did before we had Louie." I nodded. "Hey, I was lonely. He wanted to reduce his spending so I said he could move in with me. That a problem?"

Gabby laughed. "No, not at all. Means we are going to have one more hand when the baby comes." Severide shook his head. "Nope, that's not happening. I am going to get out of your hair by the time you have that little guy." I nodded and smiled at him. "Don't rush out okay? I wouldn't mind some help around here. Once we need to make the nursery, then you can leave." Severide smiled and nodded as he walked over to the kitchen. "I mean, only if Gabby is okay with me staying." Gabby then looked at him and thought about it.

"It's fine for now okay? I just didn't know." I nodded and sighed. "I didn't think you'd mind since you haven't been here. Heck, we mostly went to hotels when you came into town considering we got to do dinner and just relax in a hotel suite." Gabby smiled when I said that. "Yeah, that was fun honestly." I smiled when she said that and nodded before going to kiss her softly. "Oh Matt, you going into the Firehouse tomorrow for that soup kitchen?" I then turned to look at him. "Shit, that's right." Gabby then looked at me. "Soup kitchen?"

Severide then smirked. "It's mandatory for all officers to go to the house and help in the food kitchen. Boden knows you are still in town and wanted me to talk to you. He wanted a friend to do it so that it didn't sound like an order." I then sighed when he said that. "We'll see. Depends on how Gabby's feeling." Gabby then went to grab my hand. "No, we'll go and I am going to help too. It's the best of both worlds. I get to volunteer in a humanitarian way while spending Christmas with both the man and the people I love."

I smiled when she said that and nodded. "Then tell Boden we are going to be there if you talk to him." Severide nodded and smiled. "We can ride together. We are on the same shift. We are the 10-2 shift." Gabby nodded and agreed with me. "Just remind me to wear sweats. Oh and to bring a lot of snacks." I nodded and agreed with her. "You can take breaks in my bed whenever you need to take a breather." Gabby nodded and smiled when I said that. "Oh Severide, you are alone for lunch and dinner. We are at Gabby's mom's place today."

Severide nodded. "Sounds perfect. Might invite Stella over. Hey, come back later and I will make sure she stays. I know we used to hang out, just us four all the time. Now that Gabby is back, we should start doing that again." Severide then went to poor himself some coffee. Gabby then smelled it and then went to get up, hating the smell just like she did last pregnancy. "Oh shit.." Severide was confused when she ran away. "What was that?" I then went to walk away to the washroom. "Coffee and pregnancy don't mix." Severide then remembered. "Sorry."

Walking into the washroom to help Gabby, I sighed and looked at her as she threw up. "There goes breakfast." Gabby then groaned as she went to sit in front of the toilet. "I am going to hate this part of the pregnancy so much." I smiled and nodded when she said that. "Listen, you want me to make you another pancake?" Gabby then shook her head. "I think I'll be okay." I then sighed and looked at her. "You sure babe? I don't want you to go hungry." Gabby then nodded. "I can eat at my mom's place. Just give me a minute to clean up. By the way, good call on the pants."

I smiled when she said that and nodded, kissing her head. "Listen, I am going to go make you a bowl of cereal. Can you at least eat that for me? You can snack during the day. That a good compromise?" Gabby nodded and agreed with me. "Oh and you are done with coffee. I know I said until you are out but..." I nodded and understood. "We can't have you react this way to coffee every day...I understand. Now just take a breath, relax and I will go make you a bowl of cereal." Gabby smiled when I said that. "I love you." I smiled and nodded. "I love you too." 

Getting up and walking out to the kitchen, I sighed because I knew this was going to be hard on her. I just hoped that Severide understood that he was going to have to co-operate as long as he was living here with us.