Chapter 80

Matt's POV: Once I finally found a pharmacist, I smiled when she helped me. "Okay, now I am really not aware of any of this." Looking at me, she smiled. "Also, what's your name again." She then looked at me once again. "Vanessa." I smiled. "Captain Matthew Casey, CFD." She then nodded and went to shake my hand. "Thank you for your service Captain. Now, this for your wife?" I then laughed and agreed. "Yeah. We are expecting our first child. I am just not sure what to get or where to look." That's when I heard Boden walk up to me. "You looking for morning sickness medicine Matt?" I then turned to look at him and laughed. "You know where it is?"

He nodded and smiled. "Thanks for your help Vanessa, I can deal with it with my boss." She agreed with me and smiled. "Congratulations again, you are going to love being a father." Walking away, I then let out a breath and just looked at Boden. "God, I am running in to everybody today. I just saw Jay Halstead and Erin Lindsay." He nodded and smiled. "So, how bad is her morning sickness?" That's when I got a text. "Can you get new cleaning rags too? I just finished the last one. Almost got it." I sighed when I read that. "Sure thing." 

I then looked at Boden. "Well, that was just a text from Gabby that told me that we need cleaning rags because she made a mess in the washroom." Boden sighed when I said that. "Here, let's find you some medicine." I agreed and nodded while walking away to find some medicine. "Honestly, I just feel so bad and helpless sometimes. If I could take away this part of the pregnancy...I would definitely do it. It's so hard for me." Boden then turned to look at me. "Sorry Matt but, I hate to say this but...it can't be that hard on you compared to how hard it is on Gabriela. She's the one that's pregnant after all."

I nodded and agreed with him when he went to give me some meds. "Here, these are the ones Donna liked." I agreed with him before putting them in the basket. "And I was not referring to how hard it is being sick...I mean watching her be sick. Believe me chief, I get that it's not as hard for me as it is for her. But just watching the woman I love be sick is hard on me." Boden nodded and understood what I meant now. "Just take it one day at a time." I sighed when he said that. "About that. I need to ask you if it'd be okay if Gabby comes in with me. I know she's not staff but...I want to just be there for her. Did I already ask?"

Boden nodded. "Listen, I remember how hard it was on you the first time around Matt. I was there when you both lost the baby so believe me when I say this...I would like to do whatever I can to make this as easy as possible on you both. If that means that Gabby has to come to the house with you on shift, I am not going to complain. Heck, we would love to see her more often." I agreed and smiled when he said that. "I am just worried. I don't want to have to be rushed there and leave a fire scene but...I need you to know that I will if required. Can I tell Gabby that she can call you if she needs me while I am on a call?"

Boden then went to put his hand on my shoulder. "Matt, from one dad to another...I understand that you are going to want to be there first. So yes, I will let you leave a scene if something happens. You should be with Gabby if she needs you." I smiled when he said that. "Oh and just be warned, we are thinking it's twins." Boden was shocked when I said that. "Then you are going to need more time off when she gives birth." I then smiled. "I am not going to say no to that. But be warned that once I am off...you are not getting me to change my mind." Boden nodded.

"By the way, have you heard of this new virus in China?" Boden nodded. "I am scared it's another SARS." I nodded and agreed with him. "Believe me, I am already getting worried. This normal, getting the father fears when she hasn't even given birth?" Boden nodded. "It's called being a dad. You should know this Matt. You were a dad before." I then sighed and looked at him. "Boden, you have to remember that this is all new to me. We've never gotten this far into a pregnancy, we've never given birth together and we've never dealt with a baby...only a toddler."

Boden nodded and understood. "Listen, I've already spoken to the union for you guys. I want to let you know that they are not going to consider Gabby's aneurysm a pre-existing condition. You guys can use your health insurance to help cover the costs." I then looked at him and smiled when he said that. "That's perfect chief. By the way, I am not missing any appointments just to let you know." Boden laughed and agreed with me. "Listen, we are in this together okay Matt? I've always said this...Firehouse 51 is a family. We are going to get you through this."

I smiled when he said that. "By the way, if you have anything left from Terrence...." Boden then nodded. "I will send it your way. Now, get shopping so you can go back to Gabby." I smiled when he said that. "See you in the New Year chief." He smiled when I said that before going to shake my hand. Walking away, I went to finish my shopping so that I could get back home to Gabby.