Chapter 50

Matt's POV: After coming upstairs with some cheese and crackers for supper, I smiled when I saw her sitting in bed with the blanket that smelled like me all around her. I knew she always liked to hold it when she was alone in bed and it just made me laugh. Looking at me when I laughed, Gabby seemed confused. "What exactly are you laughing about?" I then smiled at her. "You always need something to smell like me when you're in bed aren't you?" Gabby nodded and smiled. "Yeah. I brought this blanket with me to Puerto Rico. I think it'll need to be washed soon because I haven't been able to wash it. I was scared it would stop smelling like you." I nodded and agreed with her. "At least now, you have the real me instead of something that just smells like me to hold you in my arms whenever you want me to."

Gabby smiled when I said that and nodded. "That I do." Going to sit in bed with her, I smiled as I went to cover us both up with the blanket before putting the plate of food in our lap. "So, who are we looking at and what hospital are we thinking of going to?" Gabby then looked at me. "I was looking at the doctors at UC Medicine. They specifically deal with mothers who have aneurysms like me and are pregnant. I know this is a long shot but...I think this is our best bed to get through this." I nodded and agreed with her as I wrapped my arm around her. "The problem is, I am not sure that it's in our network for health insurance." I then turned to look at her. "Gabby listen, don't even worry about that okay? Money is no issue when it comes to this."

Gabby then looked at me. "Matt, I am not going to make us go into debt." I then shook my head when she said that. "Gabby, your life is more important that money. If we need to go here to have a baby...then we will. I am not going to deny you access to the best doctors to help us through this just because it costs a lot of money. I am sure that I can talk to the union and get them to help out. I mean, you are a paramedic and a humanitarian. I am a Fire Captain who puts his life on the line every shift. If we want to start a family...they should want to help us. If not, I am positive that we can fundraise. Our family will probably help us if we need to ask for help. Gabby, we both know your brother will jump to help a little bit."

I just went to kiss her forehead and held her close. "Gabby, I will take a loan out if worst comes to worse." Gabby then bit her lip. "Matt..." I then stopped her. "Gabby listen. Just think about this. If I had to get a surgery that wasn't covered by insurance, wouldn't you do the same for me? Wouldn't you go to our family and ask them for help...go to the bank and take out a loan to save my life?" Gabby then went to push a strand of hair behind her ear. "Of course, without a doubt." I nodded and agreed with her. "Then Gabby, I am just doing the same that you would do for me." Gabby nodded and agreed with me. "I still want to talk to Antonio about this. He knows about my condition and I want to ask him personally. I want to talk to him first."

I nodded and understood, going to grab my phone so that we could call Antonio. "What are you doing?" I then looked at her. "I am relieving some of your stress. I already know the answer to this but...hearing it from Antonio might convince you. Gabby, we are going to do whatever we can to make sure that you are taken care of by the best people in Chicago. Money is not a problem." That's when Antonio answered. "What's this about  you guys having money problems?" I then sighed when he said that. "First, hi again Antonio." Antonio then laughed when I said that. "Hi guys, what's up?" Gabby then sighed.

I could tell she was worried. "Just let me talk okay?" Gabby nodded when I said that. Kissing her forehead, I held her close. "So listen, we were just looking at doctors that deal with high risk pregnancies here in Chicago." Antonio liked the sound of that. "That's a really good idea actually. You want some recommendations?" Gabby then sighed. "Not exactly. I am just worried about whether this would be covered by insurance. I still think this is a bad idea but..." Antonio then interrupted her and laughed. "Gabby, listen to me. I know how bad you want kids...have always wanted kids. If there is any financial problems when it comes to possibly going to see a doctor that will help guarantee that my sister survives this and I get to meet that baby...you bet that I will gladly put up the money."

I then turned to look at her and smiled. "What did I tell you babe? I knew that would happen. Antonio loves you. And even if he didn't...I would rather you be safe and I would've paid for it and gone into debt. I wouldn't consider it a debt though because it would mean I still have my girl here with me. And we would have a baby. That is the better option." Antonio laughed when I said that. "I still expect you to help pay for it as well." I agreed. "Hey, we said help. I never said that you were going to pay for all of it. It's just expensive. Or it may be. I just wanted to ask." Antonio understood what I meant. "Listen, you guys don't worry about this. People are going to want to help. And you can also create a GoFundMe. I think that would be a good start."

Gabby agreed with him when I said that. "And people will be sympathetic. They will easily give." I agreed and nodded. "And you can use the last name Casey. Might help us a lot." Gabby smiled when I said that. "That might help get us publicity. I just don't want to be too greedy." Antonio then spoke to her. "Gabby, you went to Puerto Rico and worked for over 2 years to help rebuild the island. Sorry if you don't deserve to have something in return now. You have a big heart, you are a great humanitarian and the world has given you a huge blow to your ability to have children safely. So let me say this...you set it up and I promise, it will not be selfish at all." I agreed with him and smiled at Gabby. "Then that is what we'll do." 

Gabby smiled when I said that and nodded, kissing me softly as we decided to hang up for Antonio. "Antonio, we are going to set it up. If you could maybe send it around work?" Antonio agreed. "Will do guys. Talk later and good luck." I smiled when he said that. "Have a good day." I then went to hang up and smiled at Gabby before going to grab my iPad. "We in agreement that we are doing this?" Gabby nodded and agreed with me, smiling as we prepared to start a GoFundMe to help us with possible treatments to make sure Gabby survived the pregnancy.