Chapter 45

Gabby's POV: After follow Chief inside, I went to sit on the couch we had in there with him. "Sorry, just a bit superstitious. Talking about this in your office scares me." Chief nodded and agreed with me. "What's wrong Gabby?" I then sighed and just pushed a strand of hair behind my ear. "I was hoping to ask you a favor. Listen, I get you can't control Matt. And I understand that he is a firefighter but..." Chief then understood where I was going. "You are worried."

I sighed when he said that. "Chief, it's not about your abilities to keep him safe...I just want him to be extra safe. I can't do this without him and I am scared. Him in fires while I am pregnant is not my favorite thing. But, I know it's his job. If someone could just...you know, keep an eye out for me when he's working? Maybe sure I am not doing this alone at the end of the day." Chief nodded and understood. "Gabby, you have nothing to worry about. My men are my priority."

I nodded and understood that. "I just want to be sure you understand this Chief...I have nod oubt in that okay? I am just worried. Your mind wanders. Also, around my due date...can you put him on desk duty? I know it's a lot to ask but...I just don't wnant him to be in a fire when I am giving birth." Chief laughed when I said that. "You mean like Hermann?" I nodded and agreed with him. "Exactly! Sorry but, I don't want that to happen for us. I want him at the hospital from the start."

Chief smiled when I said that. "Gabby, you know I've always seen you as a daughter right?" I nodded and smiled when he said that. "Then there is nothing I won't do to make sure that happens okay? You have nothing to worry about. I am going to mkae sure that Matt is there when you give birth. And I am positive that he is going to do the exact same thing. We both know that Matt has wanted this his entire life. Nothing is going to stop him from being at the birth."

I smiled when he said that when I heard Matt come inside. "I am just coming to wash my hands. I am going to help with the food if we are here for a while." I nodded and smiled. "We can go. I just had to talk to Chief in private for a minute." Matt nodded and agreed with me. "Something I should be worried about?" I shook my head when he said that. "No, everything is okay Matt." Matt then looked at me and nodded. "You want to head home or are we staying here?"

I then looked at him. "You know I am going to change my mind are't you?" Matt then smiled. "Not that I want you too...I want you to rest. It's just, I saw your friend Jay Halstead out there with his girlfriend Erin Lindsay."

NOTE: I am a Linstead fan so...I am going to include them in this story. Hope that's okay.

"He's still with Lindsay? I am surprised." Matt nodded and smiled. "Why is that surprising?" I smiled when he asked. "She's Voight's adoptive daughter." Matt agreed with me. "Listen, I am going to go say hi." Matt agreed. "I don't think they know so...don't tell her yet okay? I don't want Hank to know. Sorry if I am still weary about him. I still don't trust him after how he treated me in the past." I agreed and understood. "Jay is my ex-boyfriend anyways so...it's a bit awkward."

Matt then looked at me. "You dated him?" I then sighed. "During an undercover op. It's complicated. Let's just say that Antonio was not pleased when he learned I was sleeping with his co-worker." Matt then looked at me (again). "Okay, I didn't need to know that my wife slept with Detective Halstead." That's when I heard Erin and Jay come in. "And I didn't know that my boyfriend slept with my co-worker's sister. How are you Gabby?" Getting up, I went to hug her.

"I'm good, glad to be home with Matt." Jay smiled when I said that. "Good, I am glad you are home too. How was Puerto Rico?" I smiled. "Good, you could've donated more though. I was the head of the Chicago fundraising team. I saw you only donated $25." Erin then looked at Jay. "Babe, that's ridiculously low." Jay then looked at her. "Sorry if I need money for a gift." Erin then looked up at him. "My Christmas gift?" Jay then bit his lip. "A surprise for the future."

Erin then laughed when he said that, really happy when he said that. "Listen, we were just going to go to the washroom. Then we are grabbing lunch. Merry Christmas guys." I smiled when he said that and nodded while they walked away. I then looked at Matt and smiled at him. Walking over to him, I wrapped my arms around him and smiled while kissing him softly. "You want to get going? I am done talking to Chief and it's starting to get awkward around here."

Matt smiled and nodded when I said that. "That sounds perfect." Going to grab my hand, Matt then intertwined our fingers. "See you in the new year Chief." Chief agreed and nodded. "Congrats again you two." We both smiled when he said that before walking out. That's when we looked at everybody and waved again. Leading me out of the firehouse, I was glad we stopped in quickly because I got the chance to talk to Chief about making sure Matt stayed safe.

"Something you want to talk to me about after you talked to Chief?" I then sighed when he said that. "I just talked to him about making sure he keeps you safe, not that I don't believe in you Matt. I just want someone else to have your back. I need you in this." Matt nodded and understood as he went to kiss my head. "Listen, let's head home and we can relax in bed. I am ready to just lay down with you in my arms with your bump against me." 

I smiled when he said that, ready to head home too.